News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Cronin

Re: ANGC: Eh?
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2022, 06:51:22 PM »
I think it's tremendous fun. To paraphrase the fine print in the movie credits, "No Amen Corners were harmed in the production of this picture."
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2022, 08:32:43 AM »
Tim,
"(You) think its tremendous fun". I struggle with the concept! It's got me to thinking why I am so self-righteous, pious even, in regards to this despoilment of golfing grounds. It might just be that I have become, without noticing or admitting it, a prodigious, boring old fart! In all honesty I don't think that statement is true!!
I have been cogitating on why my responses, rants really, came about and I offer up the following as an explanation.
I was born and bred in Scotland, lived just north of Fife, over the Tay in Broughty Ferry. Geographically I was vey close to many fine linksland courses and played around many of them as a wee boy. Monifieth, Ashludie, Carnoustie, Panmure. I also caddied umpteen times on Carnoustie and Panmure. I think as a wee laddie there was plenty of fun to be had but no shenanigans, nonsense and larking around on the hallowed turf! Respect and reverence for the game and the grounds was simply de rigeur; consideration in regards to the history, architecture and raison d'être of the game was simply embedded in the pastime. I was surprised at myself when I wrote in the manner I did as I was not expecting such vehemence from myself albeit with more than a touch self deprecation and humour (I hope!). To comport oneself with dignity on the green and to pay homage to this great game seems to be innate.....so I canna' help mysel'!

Hmmm...... the above comes over as a bit boring!! But there ye are!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

MClutterbuck

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2022, 09:16:04 AM »
Colin, the only differences between this one-time production and things you see at The Old Course on Sundays is (1) The Old Course has always been accessible and ANGC has not and (2) great video production.

This might bring grandsons and kids more into contact with their parents/grand parents this week end.

Enjoy!

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2022, 06:41:20 PM »
Ach MC,
You've gone and taken the wind out of my sails. My petulance now seems petty! I had completely forgotten that the links on Sundays were open to the public! Kite flying, hanging out washing, archery, kids galloping around, old fogies wandering aimlessly, people like me with their heads in the clouds!  All valid and useful endeavours which I support! And you're quite correct...I've never seen a decent video yet of folks clambering on the Swilcan Bridge! I am now jiggered, chastened and will unashamedly rethink my position!

Thank you and cheers, Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2022, 08:38:41 PM »
Colin, don't give up the fight.
How long has the links been open to the public? Maybe the reason you and I haven't seen a frolicking video of the bridge is that there is some implicit sacredness when one is on the grounds.
I thought the video was asinine. I have no idea why ANGC would sanction it.
I'd rather fly a kite with my family at The Old Course than watch a few GUYS get clicks on youtube.

Brad Lawrence

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2022, 01:24:11 PM »
I’m surprised a place that comes across as snobby and un-fun as Augusta would allow this.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2022, 05:19:36 PM »
Colin, don't give up the fight.
How long has the links been open to the public? Maybe the reason you and I haven't seen a frolicking video of the bridge is that there is some implicit sacredness when one is on the grounds.
I thought the video was asinine. I have no idea why ANGC would sanction it.
I'd rather fly a kite with my family at The Old Course than watch a few GUYS get clicks on youtube.

Peter,

I understand castles are built in the road hole bunker, dogs play in others... there must be dozens of home videos. Still sacred grounds.

Andrew Harvie

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2022, 06:02:36 PM »
The YouTube comments on this are shocking. I found it impossible to watch more than a minute. Probably the same people looking for skateparks and $10 million dollar snow cone huts with their club memberships.

I imagine you, or anyone on this website, is not the targeted demographic of a video like this

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back