News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Gayne

Re: ANGC: Eh?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2022, 08:08:43 PM »
Old Men shouting at clouds -- this isn't the Sistine Chapel its a Golf Course, good for them.

It's not the Sistine Chapel "but it's church with cheering and pimento cheese sandwiches."

I love this video.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2022-behold-the-best-hype-video-in-masters-history

John Kirk

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2022, 10:24:18 PM »
Dear Buck,
Talking about "Old men shouting at clouds.." I was amazed that a bolt of lightning did not strike and rend asunder these miscreants! And yes you mention the Sistine Chapel. Well the finest golf course in the world are places of reverence, golf is a religious experience to some (no prizes for guessing who!) and its places of worship must be visited in hushed (Yes Kyle I agree with you here!) tones. We all pray for a fine round, we have faith in the Gods of Golf to deliver a just outcome and we live in eternal hope that deliverance, in the form of a nurtured soul, spirit and an encouraging score, will be the result! To wander around golfing cathedrals wielding "..implements singularly unsuited to the purpose.." mocks our gracious pastime and is a profanity!
Here endeth the homily!

"God bless us everyone"

Cheers Colin

+1

Mr. McQueen reiterates his disapproval with style.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2022, 03:08:51 AM »
In 'Other News' ... Tigers choice of footwear! :)
atb

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2022, 03:30:52 AM »
I hated it, watched 3 minutes of it and couldn't watch anymore.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bob Montle

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2022, 10:04:29 AM »
It's okay as long as they aren't desecrating the holy turf of TOC
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

David Cronan

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2022, 11:58:11 AM »
My teenaged self wouldn’t even find this amusing, and we went to plenty of drive-in movies and tried cow-tipping a couple of times for fun.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2022, 12:12:23 PM »
The irony to all this cheap seat pearl clutcing is that this is the exact sort of frivolity which likely lead to how golf came to be in the first place.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

George Smiltins

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2022, 12:49:31 PM »
The irony to all this cheap seat pearl clutcing is that this is the exact sort of frivolity which likely lead to how golf came to be in the first place.

Oh you are spot on for sure. I don't think anyone has any issue with Dude Perfect doing everything they can to grow their trick shot brand. I just don't understand what Augusta is trying to do here. If they are trying to grow the game of golf why don't they do a Masters Ball or Tuesday tee times for high school golfers. Just seems out of character for them to let a group run around all over this property they've been telling us to revere all these years. I don't think kids are going to watch this video and go run to the range right after.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2022, 01:46:55 PM »
it's the best spectator experience in golf and possibly all of professional sports.

I thought the best spectator experience in golf was the 16th at the Waste Management.  :)

As they say different strokes for different folks.

Of course, it's all relative. You'd have to pay me a lot of money to be on the 16th at the Waste Management!

Although there's a bit more to it at Augusta with the concessions pricing, etc.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2022, 03:08:22 PM »

The analogy is not the best, because golf frivolity began on public lands.

Golf did not begin in the private garden of some rich landed gentry.

That said, I have no idea how this video should be of interest to me. Nonsense, waste of time IMO.

However, I do hope FBD recovers to full vitality and sharp wit.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kyle Harris

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2022, 03:44:23 PM »

The analogy is not the best, because golf frivolity began on public lands.

Golf did not begin in the private garden of some rich landed gentry.

That said, I have no idea how this video should be of interest to me. Nonsense, waste of time IMO.

However, I do hope FBD recovers to full vitality and sharp wit.

So, in other words, the Dude Perfect guys were actually welcome and not bothering anyone else by doing it.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2022, 07:54:05 PM »
At the very least, they picked the right meat-head in BDC to join in on the hijinx, and his kissed his backside something proper.  He's always seemed to be a 12 year old boy stuck in a grown man's body.

archie_struthers

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2022, 08:27:59 PM »
 ??? ::)

wow, I must be getting old ...I'm ok with fivesomes (gotta play fast)  music on course in limited doses , and some other no go's at private clubs.  But watching this at Augusta didn't feel right to me

Are you guys sure this wasn't at a facsimile course

Bill Gayne

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2022, 09:12:56 PM »
It's okay as long as they aren't desecrating the holy turf of TOC

The R&A has come out with a cool hype video using the R&A clubhouse as the back drop.
watch

Stephen Britton

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2022, 10:24:19 AM »
I hated this on so many levels......
"The chief object of every golf architect or greenkeeper worth his salt is to imitate the beauties of nature so closely as to make his work indistinguishable from nature itself" Alister MacKenzie...

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2022, 10:59:37 AM »
I hated this on so many levels......
Me too
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tim Martin

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2022, 11:19:02 AM »
I made it to 3 minutes and 38 seconds. Although I wasn’t offended I also wasn’t amused.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 11:59:27 AM by Tim Martin »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2022, 02:46:49 AM »
This sort of thing will surely make it easier for Woods to request a cart for the weekend.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2022, 07:11:50 AM »
Watched it on mute and thought about my torn rotator cuffs, and how I could not throw for shizzle. That would take me out.

Why did the caddie pull the stick on 11, on the long-distance croquet whack? It would stopped the ball dead, had it hit the stick.

Put me one thumb up for good video.

Bryson the human vs. Bryson the public figure. There is a difference. That's entertainment for me.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ben Sims

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2022, 11:41:55 AM »
My guess is that I’m one of a small group in the Discussion Group that’s actually worked on the golf course. It means very much to me. And I have no problem with this sort of thing. The same people whining about stuffiness and pomp at Augusta are the same complaining that this is some sort disgrace.

By the by, what happened to some of you guys? A healthy streak irreverence and self-deprecation used to be appreciated and even encouraged. People want to be like Ty Webb or Al Czervik until it comes time to do Ty Webb and Al Czervik things. Come on Boomers, stop being so soft.  ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2022, 11:56:26 AM »
Ben, its the arbitrary nature of what is deemed "OK" that has me scratching my head.

Its OK to allow this type of sophomoric/inane activity on the actual course, but not OK for a player who is practicing on the range or anywhere else on the grounds to wear shorts?

Or heaven forbid as a "patron" you want to lie down in a nice quiet spot in the afternoon to rest, watch the clouds go by, and soak in a moment.

I mean, really?

Ben Sims

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2022, 12:49:59 PM »
Kalen,

It’s the private entity’s discretion, and isn’t discretion always arbitrary?  But put that notion aside and let’s really drill down…

Augusta takes itself too seriously and gets guff for it, it does something fun and engaging, and continues getting guff. This is where I say something about windmills and strawmen.

John Kirk

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2022, 12:51:58 PM »
I decided to remove this rambling threadkiller of a post.  I kept it if you'd really like to see it.  It's too judgmental, and therefore a swing and a miss.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 02:10:50 AM by John Kirk »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2022, 02:08:58 PM »
I must confess that one of the primary reasons for starting this thread was to get a snapshot of how this group views ANGC, its history, its tradition, its current status and its way forward in the world.
We’ve certainly seen a wide spectrum of reactions from this group - nicely, I feel, reflecting the breadth of the demographic of the people here.
Anyway, enjoy the weekend. Go, Boab!
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David Cronan

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2022, 02:30:00 PM »
It bothers me none that it was filmed; I just found it boring on par with home movies of my ex’s childhood trips to Florida.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back