News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Shiels vs Faldo @ Cruden Bay
« on: April 01, 2022, 03:14:47 PM »
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 03:11:27 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Marty Bonnar

Re: Shiels vs Faldo @ Cruden Bay
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 05:02:51 PM »
People who play fast and loose with the rules of grammar are dead to me. There’s always a U after Q.
Cheers,
F.
When exactly did I turn into JakaB? I’m scaring myself.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Mammel

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 05:05:02 PM »
Now that was some kind of fun, and from just recently! Cruden Bay never disappoints, and Sir Nick was pretty impressive as well.
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 05:07:48 PM »
PS Pardon me, if I’m a tad cranky. I’m currently about five days into the covids and presently have zero sense of taste or smell and had to cancel a trip to play Pitlochry. My Friday night Shiraz is like drinking water. Sad.
F.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 05:46:00 PM »
FBD:

Shiraz sipping and tasting like water - AHHHHH!!!!!

Feel better my friend!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 05:54:12 PM »
FBD:

Shiraz sipping and tasting like water - AHHHHH!!!!!

Feel better my friend!

Thanks, Bruce.
Missing a round at Pitlochry is pretty painful too!
 ;D
F.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 10:44:55 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfig_x7EoQ4
Thanks for this, I enjoyed it very much -- my first good 'live' look at Cruden Bay. To be honest, as wonderful as it seems I think it would prove too much golf course for me -- what with my modest abilities and its varying winds and lies and contours and uncertainties. I think I'd better go inland instead and south, to some gentler English heathland course! Don't get me wrong: CB does seem to embody the essence and spirit of the game -- but maybe only true believers can honour and appreciate it, not the yet-to-be converts.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 02:02:39 AM by PPallotta »

Bill Gayne

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2022, 11:08:46 PM »
The fourth at Cruden Bay and 17th at Carnoustie maybe the two hardest par 3s I've played. Faldo's equipment contract must have come to an end around 2000 as his putter looks 20 years old.

He admits in the video that he carries a 7 wood. Good for him!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 11:18:04 PM by Bill Gayne »

Ken Moum

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 12:18:34 AM »
The fourth at Cruden Bay and 17th at Carnoustie maybe the two hardest par 3s I've played. Faldo's equipment contract must have come to an end around 2000 as his putter looks 20 years old.

He admits in the video that he carries a 7 wood. Good for him!

He said he found it when moving his stuff.

It amazes me how good retired tour pros are.

I like Rick's channel a lot but his chipping and putting is pretty atrocious for someone as otherwise skilled as he is.

Also,  the full podcast with nick is worth watching.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jeff Schley

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 12:50:51 AM »
I love Faldo more in retirement and announcing than playing. He was stoic and so focused without personality. Made it hard to be a fan, but he has really become an engaging and ambassador now in retirement. I really like his smooth swing, he doesn't and never has cared about swing speed. In his 60's and still striped the long iron on his last shot.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2022, 09:15:27 AM »
Thanks for this, I enjoyed it very much -- my first good 'live' look at Cruden Bay. To be honest, as wonderful as it seems I think it would prove too much golf course for me -- what with my modest abilities and its varying winds and lies and contours and uncertainties. I think I'd better go inland instead and south, to some gentler English heathland course! Don't get me wrong: CB does seem to embody the essence and spirit of the game -- but maybe only true believers can honour and appreciate it, not the yet-to-be converts.
Peter, my feelings exactly. CB was the first course I fell in love with when I learned of Golf Club Atlas. Thanks to all that shared their experience/pics back then.

After watching this:
I won't visit in March
CB is probably too much for me
Reinforces why Sir Nick was my favorite player. (Fred Funk is second).

That said, still in top five on my bucket list.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 09:18:10 AM by Peter Sayegh »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2022, 03:10:59 PM »

Thanks for this, I enjoyed it very much -- my first good 'live' look at Cruden Bay. To be honest, as wonderful as it seems I think it would prove too much golf course for me -- what with my modest abilities and its varying winds and lies and contours and uncertainties.

After watching this:
I won't visit in March

I apologise for posting this video, as it must give the wrong impression of Cruden Bay ???

Another lesson learned.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2022, 04:27:22 PM »
Brian - I'm certain my reaction says more about me than it does the golf course. I wish I'd made that clearer.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 05:23:15 PM by PPallotta »

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2022, 06:24:23 PM »

Thanks for this, I enjoyed it very much -- my first good 'live' look at Cruden Bay. To be honest, as wonderful as it seems I think it would prove too much golf course for me -- what with my modest abilities and its varying winds and lies and contours and uncertainties.

After watching this:
I won't visit in March

I apologise for posting this video, as it must give the wrong impression of Cruden Bay ???

Another lesson learned.
Brian, why would you apologise? I never imagined (still do) a "wrong impression" of Cruden Bay was possible. What was the lesson learned? I loved the video-and enjoy the hundred pics of CB I have courtesy of the people here.
Again, it's been on my bucket list for a long time. Your link only whetted my appetite even more.

SL_Solow

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2022, 06:49:07 PM »
Peter,  you would love the course, the atmosphere and the history.  While there is plenty of challenge, there are options in almost every situation.  I hope to get back some day

Ken Moum

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2022, 07:46:23 PM »
Peter, my feelings exactly. CB was the first course I fell in love with when I learned of Golf Club Atlas. Thanks to all that shared their experience/pics back then.

After watching this:
I won't visit in March
Reinforces why Sir Nick was my favorite player. (Fred Funk is second).

That said, still in top five on my bucket list.

Eh...don't sell yourself short.  I've only played it twice, once in 2006 and again in either 2015 or 2017.  The first time it was my first, highly anticipated, round EVER in Scotland.  It was on our itinerary thanks to Dan King waxing poetic about it on rec.sport.golf and elsewhere online.

I was hyped to the max and had too much coffee that morning. And made a mess of it.

The second time was in a mixed comp with my wife and by then I was pushing 70 and lost a LOT of distance.  Then, they made us all play the medal tees with a howling headwind going out.  IIRC we shot 50-something on the first nine, and were about 12 shots behind our fellow competitors.  Coming in we broke 40 and almost caught them.

CB is really fun course, but not from the tees Shiels and Faldo played in that video.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2022, 08:08:54 PM »
I have not been to CB yet. It is a black mark on my golf education. I’ll have make another trip to Caledonia.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Mammel

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2022, 03:51:51 PM »
Cruden Bay is a magical experience regardless of your ability. It is the definitive links experience- the dunes are on steroids, blind par 3s, the 6th hole (the cover photo on the first edition of TD's Anatomy of a Golf Course) is one of the great short par 4s anywhere (below).

The view from the 10th tee, shown here in a panoramic shot from 1992 (film!), is glorious.

AND, there is a 9 hole course snuggled inside the big one, the St Olaf course, that is every bit as much fun. Even though they tore down the old Victorian clubhouse and moved the first tee (with the new clubhouse like that at Carnoustie- bland and expensive), it is a place not to be missed.

Mark

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2022, 04:36:12 PM »
Maybe just a tyop, but that’s the 8th, Mark.
Cheers,
F.

Mark Mammel

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2022, 04:56:01 PM »
Thanks Marty- of course. Then it's up the long hill to then 9th.

Mark

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2022, 05:04:27 PM »
Thanks Marty- of course. Then it's up the long hill to then 9th.

Proper ‘Heart-Attack Hill’ that is too!!!
 :o

Mark Mammel

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2022, 05:39:42 PM »
Worse than from 6 to 7 at RDGC!

Mark

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2022, 05:45:32 PM »
Worse than from 6 to 7 at RDGC!

Way worse! And that one is BAD!
 ;D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2022, 05:58:21 PM »
But, oh my, the view is so worth it…

Mark Mammel

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2022, 06:30:49 PM »
Finally returning this May after two long years.

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back