News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick_Noyes

Joe Finger
« on: September 30, 2003, 10:24:46 AM »
Just got an Email that said Joe Finger passed away Sunday of cancer.  Just thought I would pass this along.

Rick

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re:Joe Finger
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 10:31:31 AM »
Joe Finger was a fixture in the south during my childhood. He had a hand in so many courses built in the 50's, 60 and 70's in Louisiana. He will be missed. I actually thought he had passed away a month or so ago.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 11:02:19 AM »
With the recent NM outing I had the opportunity to ask Baxter Spann about Joe Finger. He informed me of this soon to be eventuality and related how Joe got started in the business. Mostly through Air Force connections, Joe eventually hooked up with Byron Nelson and is credited with the re re-do of the 8th at ANGC.

While I never met the man and only recently learned of his lineage, I feel his firm is in sound hands and will undoubtedly carry on that legacy into the future.

Condolences to those that knew and loved the man.

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 01:45:35 PM »
I don't know much about Joe Finger, but the restoration of the 8th green at ANGC is the only restoration ever carried out at ANGC.

Result: Great hole. The hole MacK designed.

Full points to Nelson and Finger. The 8th is one of the best par 5's anywhere. And it is so painfully simple:

- A single bunker, right side of the fairway at 285 yards.

- A small mound at the left front of the green.

May Mr. Finger rest in peace.

Bob

« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 03:24:14 PM by BCrosby »

RBSpann

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 04:07:18 PM »
Thanks to all for the condolences... Mr. Finger was indeed one of the last of that breed of golf architects who really didn't train specifically for the profession.  A Chemical Engineer with a Master's Degree from MIT doesn't usually end up eating dirt on a tractor trying to get green contours just so, or arguing with the USGA (and anyone else who would listen) about greensmix specifications.  I personally am very glad that he did, though, because I benifitted enormously from learning the ropes of this profession from him.  He will be missed by all of us very much.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 08:39:19 AM »
Saw this recently...

From Ron Whitten and Golf Digest:
http://www.golfdigest.com/courses/critic/index.ssf?/courses/critic/finger.html

A tribute Joe Finger (1918-2003)
A course architect with wisdom beyond his years

Golf architect Joseph S. Finger, who died at his home in Kerrville, Texas on September 28, 2003 at age 85, was the consummate professional. He had a chemical engineering degree from Rice and a Masters from MIT, and when, in 1956, he left the fiberglass manufacturing firm that he'd founded to pursue his childhood dream of designing golf courses, he took his training and discipline with him.

What he found in the business appalled him.

He experienced . . . "profound shock at the realization of the state of golf course design, designers, practices, malpractices and general alchemy and witchcraft being carried out in the maintenance of many 'championship courses' being constructed," Finger wrote in one of his magazine columns that later became the National Golf Foundation's 1973 book, "The Business End of Building or Rebuilding a Golf Course."

Joe didn't mince words. "The transition from orderly and ethical engineering practices in the oil refining and plastic businesses in which I had been engaged, to the nebulous, doubtful and totally nonconforming practices in golf course design, construction and maintenance, was almost too much for [my] system to bear."

So he set out to elevate and standardize the business of golf course design in what became a monumentally important book. The advice, checklists and sample contracts he outlined in that book are still pretty much the standards of today.

Joe Finger also practiced what he preached. By most accounts, Finger's courses are among the best engineered in the business. His routings fit the land. His courses are efficiently irrigated and drain well. Most were built on strict budgets strictly adhered to, and don't cost a bundle to maintain.

He produced some memorable layouts, particularly The Monster at The Concord Resort in Kiamesha Lake, N.Y., a design he did in association with Jimmy Demaret, who had been his golf coach at Rice. Built on land reclaimed from a swamp, The Monster lived up to its name from the very beginning, with lakes, bunkers and pine trees at every turn, including a twin-trunked pine in the middle of the 18th fairway some 60 yards short of the green. "A perfect tree," Tommy Bolt proclaimed when he played the course, "to string up the architect."

The Monster, opened in 1963, boasted a total yardage of 7,672 yards, back when such a distance seemed insurmountable even by tour pros. But Joe told me years ago that he never intended it to be that long. When it first opened, he had installed a practice putting green at the tail end of each championship tee (a nice touch), but they were quickly abandoned and incorporated as new back tees. Voila, additional yardage at no additional cost.

The Concord used to be ranked by Golf Digest as one of America's 100 Greatest Courses, as were Joe's South Course at Colonial Country Club near Memphis (scene of Al Geiberger's ground-breaking 59 in 1977) and Cedar Ridge in Tulsa, which Joe always felt was tougher than nearby Southern Hills. Cedar Ridge has its own infamous hole, the nasty short par-4 third, through the narrowest alley of oaks imaginable, then 90-degrees left and over Little Haikey Creek. It epitomizes the hazards Joe called, "tree traps."

One of his courses that should have made America's 100 Greatest is Pleasant Valley Country Club in Little Rock, Ark., the most immaculate and attractive pine-lined golf course not named Augusta National in the country.

When it came to ruminating about the future of golf, Joe Finger was way ahead of the curve. Back in a 1981 Golf Digest article, he warned of future crises involving high maintenance costs and lack of water, and wrote, " ... we must change our mind's image of a golf course from 'wall to wall' green carpet to the original, beautiful, natural settings of the old-style courses still found in England and Scotland."

To turn the tide, he advocated abandoning tee-to-green fairways and proposed irrigating only tees, landing areas and greens, with "low-mow" areas in between. He also decried the prevailing trend of massive bunkers along fairways and greens, especially ones with flat sand.

"A flat bunker doesn't bother the good golfer," he wrote, "unless he has an unfortunate lie. A penal bunker designed to make him recover with an 8-iron when a 5-iron is needed from that distance to the green is another story, and such traps used sparingly and judiciously will have their place on future courses."

He was also vocal about the late 20th Century trend of massive earthmoving to create golf holes. "Some architects want to defy nature and replace it with something else," he said in 1995. "Good architects realize trees, hazards and waterfalls can beautify a course and challenge a golfer without adding significantly to the maintenance cost. But the public still wants the frills."

It was in 1995 that I did Mr. Finger a great disservice by relying upon a pile of documents provided to me by golf architect Willard Byrd when writing about Atlanta Country Club, then ranked on America's 100 Greatest. "This may be the finest design of veteran architect Byrd," I wrote, "but he's never been given due credit because of a very limited by highly publicized involvement by Joe Finger during construction."

Joe took exception and wrote us that my remark "spits in the face of the facts." Sure enough, Joe was right. A club member who'd been there from the beginning set me straight. Byrd had been hired to do both the course design and surrounding residential planning. But when club founders felt they needed someone with more experience, at Jimmy Demaret's recommendation, they hired Joe, who was responsible for the final routing. He changed Byrd's design by adding the first two and last five holes on land previously ignored. He also prepared green plans, but wasn't there when the greens were built, so Byrd used a different greens mix and changed some contours.

"If you think that my contribution of seven holes-plus to the design is a 'limited contribution,' so be it," Joe wrote us. "But please don't denigrate my reputation with remarks which don't fit the facts."

I thought for sure we published a correction, but can't find one in my back issues, but I do know that in subsequent references to Atlanta Country Club, we've listed Joseph S. Finger and Willard Byrd as co-designers. Still, I think Joe Finger never cared much for Golf Digest (or me) after that, and for that I feel very bad. He had always taken pride in having his courses ranked by Golf Digest, and invariably listed them in his advertising.

In the last years of his life, Joe Finger was working on a book he was calling, "Golf Course Architects and Other Unplayable Lies." I don't know if he ever finished the manuscript, but if so, I hope someone publishes it. I suspect it's full of wisdom, humor and unvarnished truth.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 09:16:54 AM »
Mr. Finger was extremely nice to me during my very early years studying and planning a career in golf architecture. Although I never met him in person, I spoke with him by phone and found him very giving in his time and advice. Among a few hundred golf course architects, Joe was among a handful who took the time and effort to send me a subscription check for my newsletter (1973) "The Golf Course Designer". I shall always remember this gesture. My thoughts are with each of you who worked with him and knew him well.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 09:26:15 AM »
 8)

Baxter, Mike, thanks for the posts, very interesting.. he set off to do GCA at 53 yrs.. with Chem Eng. degrees, hmmm.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2003, 09:55:19 AM »
I am disappointed that Ron spent so much time building a picture of Mr. Finger's cantakerous side, but failed to mention his sensitive and unprecedented restoration work at ANGC.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 10:59:28 AM by BCrosby »

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2003, 10:08:49 AM »
I played Atlanta Country Club a few weeks ago and the entire course was wonderful.  They don't give Joe Finger any credit on their scorecard either.  It reads:

Course Architect: Willard Byrd, 1964
Green Complex Redesign: Mike Riley, 2001

George_Bahto

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2003, 10:46:26 AM »
I have great personal memories of playing the Monster at the Concord Hotel.

At least twice a year my long time golfing partner and I would make the two+ hour drive to the course for
36-holes and their fabulous lunch - this during the late 70s and 80s - the total cost? .... perhaps $50 to 60
dollars for the day.

We usually booked the first tee-time but sometimes had to wait a few minutes while they “whipped” the fairways using a hose dragged by tractors on either side of the fairways.

At this time in the AM, balls usually plugged in the first fairway and even in the first green. The course playing incredibly long in the morning - no roll! By the afternoon round, the course dried up a bit and the course played a bit easier - hah!

Condition? superb, in those days.  We lost interest in later years because the conditions were not up to previous high standards - we thought we’d rather remember the course as it had been in those earlier days.

Dumb me, I continually played with this animalistically (what a word ?), long-hitter on these long courses who out drove me 20 to 40-yards - fortunately I got him on the greens - he was the typically “King-Kong” putter.

The greens at the Concord, for those who have never played it were huge - often 4 clubs front to back. Yardage was given to the front of the greens and you had to figure out how deep the flag was into the green - not easy (none of those pins sheets!). Lots of fun.

There are some great holes there. Often from even the middle tees (with the course soft during those morning rounds), you had to hit your drive flush to clear a dogleg ..... #2 comes to mind.

The fourth hole was an option, par-5 - fun to play. He tried a similar tactic on the back side, #12, but that
didn’t play the way he thought it would.

The great pine tree in the 9th fairway (not the 18th) was a wonderful feature: hook or fade around it - go over it - go under it  ..... lots of options ....... and, best of all, it worked (RIP pine).  The green on #9 is spectacular in shape and scope.

The 17th offered a number of interesting options off the tee - heroic - penal - strategic .... everything here.

But the main thing was that it was a total experience. We loved to take a good golfer along who had never been there before. They were usually so intimidated the first time there, not many broke 90.

It took a few (?) rounds there before you got by the intimidation factor of the course - once beyond that, you began to score.

My friend’s favorite 36-hole day was at the Concord when he shot 74 - 76 (he was a “6" at the time) but heck he was hitting middle irons to the greens while I had 2-irons and woods most of the day. I had a number of good rounds there as well.

They were days we will always remember.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 10:48:22 AM by George_Bahto »
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back