News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

OT - UK Summer 2022 Green Fees
« on: March 19, 2022, 01:32:06 PM »

Tommy Williamsen

Re: OT - UK Summer 2022 Green Fees
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 02:45:13 PM »
I wonder what metrics some of these lesser known clubs use to determine green fees. Outside the the rota and the highest ranked copurses there are still some decent prices out there.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 03:05:02 PM »
Have you priced a ton of sand lately?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 04:11:27 PM »
Not related but maybe relevant (or at least telling). For years I've bought and sold from one of Canada's main online sites for used golf equipment. This week they are offering me more (in trade-in value) for 15 year old ping irons than I paid them for the same irons 5 years ago.
The cost of everything golf related is up, here there and everywhere.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 04:27:16 PM by PPallotta »

JohnVDB

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 05:28:31 PM »
A lot of clubs seem to be trying to make up for the last two years.

Given the demand I’m sure the amounts are not too surprising.

I jokingly have a rule not to pay more for golf in Scotland than the Old Course charges since I should just go there instead.  With their price increase there are a few more I can play now.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 05:58:46 PM »
I should probably know this but it seems that TOC makes a bundle on green fees. Other clubs subsidise member fees by selling X number of green fees. What does TOC do with its money?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JohnVDB

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 07:30:41 PM »
I should probably know this but it seems that TOC makes a bundle on green fees. Other clubs subsidise member fees by selling X number of green fees. What does TOC do with its money?

The townspeople and students get very low green fees.  I presume it also keeps annual fees lower for the various clubs that play there.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 07:39:46 PM »
In addition, the Links Trust operates 6 other courses besides the TOC. I imagine some of the revenue that TOC generates goes to subsidize the operation of those other courses. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 07:47:19 PM by David_Tepper »

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 08:29:10 PM »

Membership for all categories are reasonable.

Ticket Description (standrews.com)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 09:52:52 PM »
*gasp* The cost of golf is matching inflation?!

How shocking.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

John Emerson

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2022, 10:10:59 PM »

41.40/ton
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2022, 10:45:50 PM »
Links courses don’t purchase sand.

I’m a member at two UK clubs with links courses and participated in both annual meetings via Zoom. Both are raising rates to accomplish two goals: 1) reduce the pressure on member tee times and 2) offset some of the losses of the past two years.

It seems to be a common theme that member clubs with popular courses are being swamped with visitors this year. A great number of visitors who have been put off for two years are now coming, on top of the year’s normal traffic.

There will be a battle for premium tee times. A great number of the members at my clubs are very upset with the bloated visitor numbers already on the books. It’s going to be a crazy summer! Everything golf related will be in short supply.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2022, 12:46:08 AM »

How shocking.

TOC has gone up 50% (£180 to £270) since May 2019.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2022, 02:21:34 AM »

How shocking.

TOC has gone up 50% (£180 to £270) since May 2019.

Yep. Green fees for the highlighted courses far outpace inflation and have done for years.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2022, 03:59:36 AM »
I was talking to a Fraserburgh member recently, and he said the Club had been told that if they wanted the American tourist trade, they better increase their green fees, or they will not be taken seriously.  ::)

Richard Fisher

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2022, 05:44:43 AM »
The same applies to pretty much every top tier course in Wales, with the one exception of Porthcawl. All were told that if they wanted the ‘organised’ North American and international visitor trade (as opposed to GCA-ish independence) they would need to charge more.

That said, the number of green fee payers who actually end up paying the advertised rack rate remains surprising small outside (I would guess) the Top Forty. A large amount of UK green fee business comes through county cards, organised (and discounted) party bookings, and (often forgotten) differential seasonal rates.

The UK is heading for 10% inflation, potentially, within the next year or so. There is massive pressure on tee times too so this is all heading in one direction only. Silloth and Goswick become (even) more attractive options everyday!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2022, 06:14:41 AM »
The first two golf courses that I played that cost “double figures” were Carnoustie (£13 in 1987) and TOC (£18 in 1989).

Using a UK inflation calculator since those dates, Carnoustie should be £39 and TOC should be £48.

Mike W - a surprisingly high number of links courses do actually have to buy in sand, sometimes because local sand is too fine to hold in bunkers, sometimes because mining sand from the foreshore is not permitted.

James Reader

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2022, 06:35:10 AM »

Membership for all categories are reasonable.

Ticket Description (standrews.com)

It still has to be the best deal in golf, but town residents’ links tickets have gone up 42% this year (£240 to £340).  The prices for all adult ticket types has increased by £100.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2022, 07:35:15 AM »
Red diesel disappears this year for amenity users so with the fuel price rises over the last couple of months the fuel bill for clubs will more than double in 2022. With inflation expected to hit 10% and a 6% increase in the national minimum wage in the next month there are some huge increases in costs for clubs.
That said there’s huge demand and as others have said there’s lots of pressure on tee times from members. The only real option left for clubs is to make more money from less visitor times.
Cave Nil Vino

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2022, 09:19:00 AM »
Red diesel disappears this year for amenity users so with the fuel price rises over the last couple of months the fuel bill for clubs will more than double in 2022. With inflation expected to hit 10% and a 6% increase in the national minimum wage in the next month there are some huge increases in costs for clubs.
That said there’s huge demand and as others have said there’s lots of pressure on tee times from members. The only real option left for clubs is to make more money from less visitor times.

No doubt the clubs themselves have more demand simply from their members(new and old).
If I were operating a private club in high guest play demand I would most definitely raise guest fees to curb demand and increase revenue(make hay while the sun shines), with a disclaimer as to the reasons why, leaving (however unlikely) wiggle room to reduce rates if needed and desireable at such time as demand becomes normalized.
I don't blame them a bit.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2022, 10:46:06 AM »
Given all that’s going on in the world and has done so for the last 2+ years I’m not at all surprised. Demand, supply, the opening-up of travel restrictions, costs of supplies, materials, services, repairs, spare parts, course projects, restorations/renovations etc and the high expectations when it comes to course conditioning of so many players.

Atb

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2022, 11:27:34 AM »
I was talking to a Fraserburgh member recently, and he said the Club had been told that if they wanted the American tourist trade, they better increase their green fees, or they will not be taken seriously.  ::)

I had that very conversation with the Captain of Glasgow 4 or 5 years ago. At the time Western's greenfees were something like 50% higher and yet they were getting more visitors for a course that wasn't as good.

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2022, 02:21:26 PM »
The same applies to pretty much every top tier course in Wales, with the one exception of Porthcawl. All were told that if they wanted the ‘organised’ North American and international visitor trade (as opposed to GCA-ish independence) they would need to charge more.

That said, the number of green fee payers who actually end up paying the advertised rack rate remains surprising small outside (I would guess) the Top Forty. A large amount of UK green fee business comes through county cards, organised (and discounted) party bookings, and (often forgotten) differential seasonal rates.

The UK is heading for 10% inflation, potentially, within the next year or so. There is massive pressure on tee times too so this is all heading in one direction only. Silloth and Goswick become (even) more attractive options everyday!

Goswick is catching on. Jacked its fee to £80 something. I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit £100 next year if business is strong this year.

I don't blame clubs for jacking up prices. This is a trend for most luxury goods and services. Demand the higher fees while the sun shines. Hopefully clubs will bank money this time around rather than plead poverty on social media when the next downturn comes...which I think will be soon.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 02:27:21 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2022, 04:44:23 PM »
Scots fleecing dumb yanks who don't do their homework over a non-essential item like golf?

Hell yes and twice on Sunday!!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2022, 06:07:07 PM »
It’s a classic supply & demand business. If demand increases, so will prices.

What’s happened in the UK, especially Scotland, the faux links that were built to attract overseas visitors have established the market prices. If Kingsbarns can command £346 (nearly $500) what is the Old Course worth in comparison? Likewise, if Castle Stuart is £245 (~$350) what is the comparable rate for Carnoustie?

The Trump courses seem to be the rate leaders at the moment. £395 for Turnberry… nearly $600??? That’s more than Pebble Beach!

Like the best resort courses in the States, Scotland has evolved into a corporate entertainment playground for overseas visitors. It’s so sad for the average golfer who used to have the opportunity to experience Scotland on a reasonable budget.

Now it’s a one-and-done for most folks I know.

It’s sad… but, that’s capitalism.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back