News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: Recommend a golf architecture book that's not well known
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2022, 11:03:05 AM »
One of the first books I read was Michael Hurzdan's Golf Course Architecture.  It reads a bit like a textbook but goes into great detail into all of the aspects of designing and building a course that we do not discuss much here.  I have not read any of his other books listed on his website:

https://www.hurdzangolf.com/books

Jeff Segol

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2023, 02:07:44 PM »
I just wanted to circle back to this request and thank all of you for your suggestions, particularly Brother Doak's. Happily, I scored a signed copy of Claude Crockford's book in Monterey over the weekend, for the (to me) bargain price of $100 plus two trade-ins of duplicates from my own collection. I also got a copy of the sustainable golf book he recommended from England, and a copy of A Round of Golf Courses is en route as well. I also ordered a copy of the Alex Russell and Vern Morcom books from Australia, swallowing hard on the postage cost. Nice additions to my collection, I think.

Thank you all again for your help.

Jeff

Jeff_Brauer

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2023, 02:35:08 PM »
I was going to refute Jeff's answer with the phrase "books by committee are never any good," but in fact, he reminded me of one that really is good:

"Favorite Golf Holes By Design," edited by Paul Daley.

Paul asked +- 75 architects to choose their favorite hole and describe why they liked it.  The intriguing part to me was how differently everyone explained their choices . . . some by words, some by sketch, some by meticulous plans, some by photographs . . . it was a revealing window into how differently we all think about the subject.

That, and Ron Fream's choice of the sixth hole at Himalayan Golf Club, which led me to take one of the great expeditions of my life.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2023, 02:45:01 PM »
TD,  technically, my book was for committees, not by them........ :o
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Craig Sweet

Jeff Segol

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2023, 05:49:03 PM »
Thanking you again for the suggestions. After the last go-around, I bought a copy of the Daley book Tom suggested. Just finishing up Dickinsen now. The guy and can write, and the paper that this was printed on is like cardboard. It obviously came out of a high-end publishing house. I will look into Jeff Brauer's tome after I've reduced the pile of what's just come in a bit. That will probably occur at summer camp in the first week of Auguest. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Jeff

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back