News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Segol

Recommend a golf architecture book that's not well known
« on: February 08, 2022, 06:52:41 PM »
Trying to figure out where I might go with my book collection. I have all the major volumes, John Low, as well as Paul Daley's series, Bahto's bio of MacDonald, etc. Please suggest something you think is good that wouldn't be as well known around here. I recall a discussion sometime back of a book that was only put out as a limited edition, but the name and title escape me now. Now reading Price's Scotland's Golf Course.

Thanks,
Jeff

Mike_Trenham

Re: Recommend a golf architecture book that's not well known
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 09:31:15 PM »
Driving the Green - Tells the story of a neophyte developer and golfer’s efforts to create IronHorse CC in West Palm Beach.  Course was designed by Arthur Hills.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 08:35:48 AM »
"St. Andrews: How to Play the Old Course" by Desmond Muirhead and Tip Anderson.
jeffmingay.com

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 09:24:16 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Why-Golf-Mystery-Game-Revisited/dp/0743242475

Gets a bit philosophical but the architectural points are there, especially as Tom Doak and Eric Iverson are the subject of a chapter about the construction of Riverfront in Virginia.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:50:35 AM by Kyle Harris »
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 09:31:11 AM »
My faves are Dan Wexler's Missing Links and Lost Links, but those are mainstream-ish for this crowd.

I loved "Britain's 100 Extraordinary Golf Holes," which profiles 100 wild, wacky, fun golf holes that seem to capture the essence of UK golf.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 10:37:16 AM »
A second vote for Jeff Mingay's suggestion above.

I missed the Cullen book. Sounds interesting.

Bob

Rob Nydick

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 10:39:20 AM »
I really enjoyed Keith Cutten's "The Evolution of Golf Course Design".  It seems to evolved from his 500 page masters thesis (also available online and worth a read).

Cutten's book has nice photos and provides a nice primer for golf history and architecture, but what I think makes the book stand out is the global context he provides when discussing the evolution of design.  His ability to connect golf course design to global events, technology, and cultural trends offers an interesting view that reaches beyond golf course architecture.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 04:11:52 PM »
I really enjoyed Keith Cutten's "The Evolution of Golf Course Design".  It seems to evolved from his 500 page masters thesis (also available online and worth a read).

Do you have a link? I can't find it on line

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 04:15:24 PM »
Here you go, but the first edition is sold out. I believe Keith is preparing a second edition.

https://cuttengolf.com/the_evolution_of_golf_course_design/
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 04:44:51 PM »
one day even the true followers on here will recognise a giant of Golf Course Architecture.

Here's the story.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G3L6KQ8/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

An essential read.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Rob Nydick

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 05:04:53 PM »

Do you have a link? I can't find it on line

I was able to find it here:

https://atrium.lib.uoguelph.ca/xmlui/handle/10214/9681

Enjoy!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2022, 06:19:48 PM »
Trying to figure out where I might go with my book collection. I have all the major volumes, John Low, as well as Paul Daley's series, Bahto's bio of MacDonald, etc. Please suggest something you think is good that wouldn't be as well known around here. I recall a discussion sometime back of a book that was only put out as a limited edition, but the name and title escape me now. Now reading Price's Scotland's Golf Course.

Thanks,
Jeff

A Round of Golf Courses, by Patric Dickinson

A Matter of Course [Herbert Fowler bio], by Derek Markham

Golf: Sustainable By Design, by Paul Jansen

The Complete Golf Course:  Turf and Design, by Claude Crockford  [which could be the limited edition you are thinking of]

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2022, 08:45:07 PM »
James Braid and his Four Hundred Golf Courses by J. Moreton and I. Cumming.

https://www.finegolfbooks.com/pages/books/7141/john-f-moreton-iain-cumming/james-braid-and-his-four-hundred-golf-courses

You can probably buy it for a much better price thru the Brora GC pro shop. I did. :)

Bernie Bell

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 08:26:18 AM »
Fazio, Golf Course Designs
Pennink, Golfer's Companion
not architecture, but I enjoyed Preferred Lies by Andrew Greig

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 09:16:56 AM »
Driving the Green - Tells the story of a neophyte developer and golfer’s efforts to create IronHorse CC in West Palm Beach.  Course was designed by Arthur Hills.

I read that back in the 80's or early 90's.
Can't remember the details, but it made the process seem incredibly daunting.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2022, 10:18:44 AM »

I read that back in the 80's or early 90's.
Can't remember the details, but it made the process seem incredibly daunting.

I met John Strawn a couple of times in China back in 2004 (eek!) when we were trying to land some work out there. He’s a very nice chap and was very happy to sign my First Edition! It’s a decent warts-and-all read…:

Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2022, 11:57:47 AM »
Just Call Me Mac the biography of Arthur Vernon Macan.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff Segol

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2022, 02:35:50 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Most of what you guys listed, I already have. The Crockford book that Tom mentioned is the one I was thinking of. Also I should look for Dickinson. Thanks for the help. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks,
Jeff

Niall C

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2022, 08:07:21 AM »
Jeff

Not sure what you mean by all the major volumes or indeed whether your taste is for modern or old but FWIW I can happily endorse the recommendation for the Fowler book made by Tom D, and in that vein I'd also recommend relatively recent books on Simpson (Hawtree) and of course the MacKenzie book that Tom put together with others. I suspect you can still get the Fowler and Simpson books direct from the publishers but the MacKenzie book will be a harder and more expensive purchase.

Of the older books I'd recommend anything that Simpson contributed to such as The Lonsdale Library, The Game of Golf (1931), and Design for Golf (1952) which is largely an update or re-write of his contribution to the first book. Both great reads with some superb plans and drawings by Simpson. I'm not sure where you are based but in the UK you can pick these up relatively cheaply on ebay, second book stores etc.

Niall
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 11:58:52 AM by Niall C »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2022, 10:05:35 AM »
Coincidentally, I heard this morning that Derek's Fowler biography has won the USGA Herbert Warren Wind Award for this year.
Adam Lawrence

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2022, 11:32:55 AM »
A different tack.
Some old day pros wrote or had books ghosted for them and chapters on architecture were included.
I’ve just finished re-reading James Braids book ‘Advanced Golf’, which is available in re-print pretty cheaply, and it contains a chapter on his approach to course design. And he laid out quite few good ‘uns and did amazing work on less than good terrain with limited funds.
Atb

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2022, 01:26:21 PM »
Coincidentally, I heard this morning that Derek's Fowler biography has won the USGA Herbert Warren Wind Award for this year.

Does anyone know if this book is still available for purchase?
I own every book, except two, of the HWW Book Award winners, and would very interested in adding this book to my collection.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2022, 01:36:05 PM »

I own every book, except two, of the HWW Book Award winners, and would very interested in adding this book to my collection.

If you’re quick, yes. Co-publisher Philip Truett told me this morning that he had nine copies left.
Adam Lawrence

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2022, 01:43:10 PM »

Thank you.  I just sent an email requesting to purchase a copy.  Hopefully 9 others have not beaten me to the punch (doubtful).

If you’re quick, yes. Co-publisher Philip Truett told me this morning that he had nine copies left.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2022, 10:17:41 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Why-Golf-Mystery-Game-Revisited/dp/0743242475

Gets a bit philosophical but the architectural points are there, especially as Tom Doak and Eric Iverson are the subject of a chapter about the construction of Riverfront in Virginia.

Thanks for this.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back