News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: 2021 YANK AWARDS
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2021, 07:56:06 PM »
Sean,

You are the gift that keeps on giving to GCA. Genuine thanks for all your contributions.

[/color]Slaintѐ agad-sa
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2021, 12:57:36 AM »
Thanks Robin, Ally, and Jeff. Good stuff.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2021, 04:00:36 PM »
Thanks Robin, Ally, and Jeff. Good stuff.

Just a "like" button would suffice. Well said.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2021, 01:43:11 PM »

2021 was a delayed YOK. The Year of Kevin was the commemoration of his 50th birthday, and was intended to happen with proper chronology, but Covid ... Fortunately for me, I have a bunch of non-GCA friends in high places (never mix pleasure with groveling) who were able to set things up for us. I returned a lot of pop bottles (#Kramer #Newman) and saved up to visit a bunch of great places. 2021 will most likely not be repeated in my lifetime; any of these tracts of land would make a year special. Every year, like a resolution, I promise that I will play the small courses around Buffalo, the ones I haven't seen. I think I'll make that list today for 2022.

Best farmland course that I didn't play, but buoyed our team to a league championship a state away: Meadville Country Club

Best links course with no ocean in site: Tie 'twixt Mammoth Dunes and Sand Valley

Best course I didn't play, that had no grass, with monster trucks: Lido 2.0

Best course with motorcycle carts and a religious lineage: Links Course, Lawsonia

Best restoration: Fox Chapel

Best club with a bridge and an elevator: Pittsburgh Field Club

Best Dye course that he built early on, then came back to polish: The Golf Club

Best Alison course I can imagine: Kirtland

Best nine-hole course with hilarious caddies and a big lake nearby: Dunes Club

Best misunderstood short course that is perfect for tired, drunk guys: The Sandbox
Shocker in a great way that I never saw coming
: Chartiers
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2021, 04:30:45 AM »

What both Ally McIntosh and I found interesting was how the hand of man was much more evident with the Hanse work than with the Doak work we played the day before. I really enjoyed the course though.

Assuming the hole is good, does the hand of man matter much?

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 08:47:31 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2021, 04:41:54 PM »

What both Ally McIntosh and I found interesting was how the hand of man was much more evident with the Hanse work than with the Doak work we played the day before. I really enjoyed the course though.

Assuming the hole is good, does this had of man matter much?

Ciao

Aesthetics! Sometimes the artificiality leaves negative feelings. E.g., Artificial pond on 11 Bandon Trails.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2021, 08:43:41 PM »

Ciao

Aesthetics! Sometimes the artificiality leaves negative feelings. E.g., Artificial pond on 11 Bandon Trails.

Sometimes the aesthetics of obviously artificial features is very cool. There are other ways to skin the aesthetics cat than trying to mimic nature.

Merry Christmas
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2021, 01:34:26 AM »

Ciao

Sometimes the aesthetics of obviously artificial features is very cool. There are other ways to skin the aesthetics cat than trying to mimic nature.
Huntercombe?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2021, 03:29:40 AM »

Ciao

Merry Christmas

Robin isn’t talking about obvious artificiality (and to be honest, who ever would on top quality links land).

He’s talking about a few areas that don’t look right to the eye when the intent was that they do. They look forced.

I’m not quite sure why the Hanse team had to do quite as much as they did (rebuilding 15 of 18 greens?) but the resultant course is no doubt better than it was. The main misfires are the 7th green and the 5 short par-3’s. I quite liked the long 18th but the loss of the old 17th also seems to be a contentious issue.

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2021, 04:09:02 AM »

Ciao

Merry Christmas

Robin isn’t talking about obvious artificiality (and to be honest, who ever would on top quality links land).

He’s talking about a few areas that don’t look right to the eye when the intent was that they do. They look forced.

I’m not quite sure why the Hanse team had to do quite as much as they did (rebuilding 15 of 18 greens?) but the resultant course is no doubt better than it was. The main misfires are the 7th green and the 5 short par-3’s. I quite liked the long 18th but the loss of the old 17th also seems to be a contentious issue.

Well, failing to mimic nature is possibly the worst besides the dreadful garden style golf popular in 80s.

Why was the 7th green moved? Shame as well about 17. Those two holes were arguably the best of the lot.

Merry Christmas

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2021, 04:22:58 AM »

Ciao

Merry Christmas

Well, failing to mimic nature is possibly the worst besides the dreadful garden style golf popular in 80s.

Why was the 7th green moved? Shame as well about 17. Those two holes were arguably the best of the lot.

Merry Christmas

The only reasoning I can possibly think of with the 7th green (old 8th) was to stop you having to tee over it on the next hole. But it’s a significant miss, reducing one of the best holes in Ireland to a quirky blind chip over a dune to a far too shallow hidden green - feels contrived…. Perhaps there was salt-spray damage with the old hole but can’t see it being radically different in that respect.

Merry Christmas!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2021, 05:22:50 AM »

Ciao

Huntercombe?
A great example.  Kington is another.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2021, 06:28:41 AM »

Ciao

Huntercombe?
A great example.  Kington is another.

And WHO, Yelverton and RAC.

Merry Christmas

Tim Gallant

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2021, 08:01:24 AM »
Most Surprising New Play Course:  Sandy Hills (Rosapenna) - I was so focused on seeing St Patricks that the course really surprised me, but I guess it shouldn't have as it's consistently ranked in the top 100 in the UK&I.

Most disappointing New Play Course: Golspie - A few strong holes. I think maybe my expectations were just too high.

Best New Play Inland Course: Pinehurst No. 2 - It was a joy to see this course.

Best New Play Links:  St Patricks or Pacific Dunes

Most Surprising Repeat Play Course:  Woodhall Spa - the changes are very very good. I would love to play it on a more regular basis, and think it's a great Buda course!

Favourite New Play Links:  St Patricks!

Favourite New Play Inland Course: Old Town - Playing it when the bermuda was dormant was amazing! It is a club I would join in a heartbeat if I lived closer!

Best Affordable (no deals, under £40/$55) Course Played This Year: Painswick!! Thank you Sean for navigating with me! Minchinhampton Old is another :)

Best Course Played This Year: Muirfield or The Old Course

Favourite Course Played This Year: North Berwick
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 08:54:43 AM by Tim Gallant »

James Reader

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2021, 07:32:15 AM »
Most Surprising New Play Course: Charnwood Forest.  It’s rare that a course surprises me these days because I’ve generally heard and read about them in advance.  Charnwood Forest was an exception.  9 holes just of the M1 in Leicestershire, I stopped off for a quick game to break up a long drive and was very glad that I did.  Consistently interesting and fun holes on lovely heathland turf around a rocky outcrop, I’d lay reasonable money on Sean’s tour being titled “Charming Charnwood” if and when he gets there.  Honourable mention for the Ashludie at Monifieth.

Most Disappointing New Play Course: Woodsome Hall.  A local course I’d be meaning to play for a long time.  My expectations weren’t hugely high but it just didn’t do it for me.

Most Surprising Repeat Play Course: Goswick.  It’s a long time since I played there and I’d forgotten just how good it is.  Or perhaps I just let the non-stop rain get to me the first time.

Favourite New Play Links: Muirfield.  Everything I expected it to be - and in this case my expectations were very high.  I just wish I’d paid the extra for the opportunity to play 36 holes.

Favourite New Play Inland Course: Hindhead.  Surprisingly, as much for the back nine as the front.  I’d seen so many photos of the holes through the valleys that I was expecting the back nine to be a bit of a let down but not at all.  Honourable mentions for Woodbridge and East Devon.

Favourite New Play 9-hole Course: Reigate Heath.  I played 8 new-for-me 9-holers this year, including Alnmouth Village and the Channel at B&B.  Reigate pips those two for me.  I can imagine it must be a great place be a member.  Living nearby and being able to play a quick nine first thing in the morning or last thing in the evening whenever you felt like it would be fantastic.

Best Affordable (no deals, under £40) Course Played This Year: Halifax.  With a pedigree that includes Fowler, Mackenzie and Braid, it perhaps shouldn’t be surprising that Ogden is as good as it is.  (As an aside, are there any other courses that have been touched by all of those three?) Played with Clyde Johnson who, on the 1st green, said “it’s not all like this is it!?”.  Well, no it’s not - the rest of the greens don’t quite live up to the promise of the 1st - but the opening stretch of five holes takes some beating and there are a number of other great holes.

Best Moderately Priced (no deals, under £60) Played This Year: Cavendish.  But if winter rates are allowed then Elie at £47 takes some beating.

Best Course Played This Year: The Old Course.  One of the very few benefits of Covid has been that it’s been easier to get a game on the Old and much quieter.  Second tee time as a two-ball with Adam Uttley one lovely August morning (when it felt like we had the course to ourselves for the first nine) and round in 3 hours as the last group out a week later were definite highlights of the year for me.

Favourite Course Played This Year: Elie.  The more I play there, the more I love it.

Sean_A

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2022, 12:36:05 AM »
Most Surprising New Play Course: Charnwood Forest.  It’s rare that a course surprises me these days because I’ve generally heard and read about them in advance.  Charnwood Forest was an exception.  9 holes just of the M1 in Leicestershire, I stopped off for a quick game to break up a long drive and was very glad that I did.  Consistently interesting and fun holes on lovely heathland turf around a rocky outcrop, I’d lay reasonable money on Sean’s tour being titled “Charming Charnwood” if and when he gets there.  Honourable mention for the Ashludie at Monifieth.

Most Disappointing New Play Course: Woodsome Hall.  A local course I’d be meaning to play for a long time.  My expectations weren’t hugely high but it just didn’t do it for me.

Most Surprising Repeat Play Course: Goswick.  It’s a long time since I played there and I’d forgotten just how good it is.  Or perhaps I just let the non-stop rain get to me the first time.

Favourite New Play Links: Muirfield.  Everything I expected it to be - and in this case my expectations were very high.  I just wish I’d paid the extra for the opportunity to play 36 holes.

Favourite New Play Inland Course: Hindhead.  Surprisingly, as much for the back nine as the front.  I’d seen so many photos of the holes through the valleys that I was expecting the back nine to be a bit of a let down but not at all.  Honourable mentions for Woodbridge and East Devon.

Favourite New Play 9-hole Course: Reigate Heath.  I played 8 new-for-me 9-holers this year, including Alnmouth Village and the Channel at B&B.  Reigate pips those two for me.  I can imagine it must be a great place be a member.  Living nearby and being able to play a quick nine first thing in the morning or last thing in the evening whenever you felt like it would be fantastic.

Best Affordable (no deals, under £40) Course Played This Year: Halifax.  With a pedigree that includes Fowler, Mackenzie and Braid, it perhaps shouldn’t be surprising that Ogden is as good as it is.  (As an aside, are there any other courses that have been touched by all of those three?) Played with Clyde Johnson who, on the 1st green, said “it’s not all like this is it!?”.  Well, no it’s not - the rest of the greens don’t quite live up to the promise of the 1st - but the opening stretch of five holes takes some beating and there are a number of other great holes.

Best Moderately Priced (no deals, under £60) Played This Year: Cavendish.  But if winter rates are allowed then Elie at £47 takes some beating.

Best Course Played This Year: The Old Course.  One of the very few benefits of Covid has been that it’s been easier to get a game on the Old and much quieter.  Second tee time as a two-ball with Adam Uttley one lovely August morning (when it felt like we had the course to ourselves for the first nine) and round in 3 hours as the last group out a week later were definite highlights of the year for me.

Favourite Course Played This Year: Elie.  The more I play there, the more I love it.

Charnwood Forest is becoming more interesting. You are at the least the 4th chap among this group who has recommended the course.

Have you played Matlock?

Ciao

James Reader

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2022, 12:20:39 PM »
No, I’ve not played Matlock Sean.  It wasn’t on my radar at all when I was younger, in spite of the fact that I spent a lot of time in the area.  The photos on the website suggest it might be worth a look.

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2022, 02:08:45 PM »

Charnwood Forest is becoming more interesting. You are at the least the 4th chap among this group who has recommended the course.

Have you played Matlock?

Ciao

I quite liked Charnwood Forest too, Sean - most of the golf hangs onto the side slopes of a central, rocky hill. I wouldn't go out of my way to play it, but worth a quick detour if driving close by. I think it is the oldest course in Leicestershire.

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2022, 05:13:06 AM »

Have you played Matlock?

Ciao

I quite liked Charnwood Forest too, Sean - most of the golf hangs onto the side slopes of a central, rocky hill. I wouldn't go out of my way to play it, but worth a quick detour if driving close by. I think it is the oldest course in Leicestershire.

I live about 1:10 away, so not too far. How would Charnwood play in the winter?

Ciao

Ben Stephens

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2022, 06:54:55 AM »

Have you played Matlock?

Ciao

Ciao

Drier than most courses in the local vicinity. Longcliffe is a strong course and used for county events quite regularly.

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/charnwood-forest

Sean_A

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2022, 03:49:39 AM »

Have you played Matlock?

Ciao

Ciao

Drier than most courses in the local vicinity. Longcliffe is a strong course and used for county events quite regularly.

Sounds like a politician's answer 😏.

Ciao

Ben Stephens

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2022, 12:53:39 PM »

Have you played Matlock?

Ciao

Ciao

Sounds like a politician's answer 😏.

Ciao

Guess I am more diplomatical these days  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back