News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Late this week, I hope (!) that GolfClubAtlas will cut over to a new look and updated platform. As part of the process, the Discussion Group will be down this afternoon and in maintenance mode.

The existing site was good for ~ fifteen very fine years. However, an overhaul is due and the people at our hosting site have worked very hard for many months on this project.

When the new site goes live, the 147 will be updated and the December Feature Interview will be posted. The Best of Golf was my bad idea, and that section was folded into In My Opinion.

Going forward, the Feature Interview section will not be in a written format. Podcasts are the obvious rage and I will take 2022 to determine if pivoting in that direction makes sense for this site.

The goal of GolfClubAtlas has always been to further the discussion of golf course architecture in a pleasing, clutter-free environment. Ben, Joe and I believe that tradition will continue, better than ever, in the days to come.

Best,

P.S. While the Discussion Group is down this afternoon, have a read of Richard Pennell’s new blog  (https://richardpennell.substack.com). I really enjoyed my time on it this snowy weekend!

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Update coming to GolfClubAtlas this week + DG down this afternoon
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 10:57:03 AM »
Ran, I know that podcasts are popular, but they are not with me. They take too long. I can read something in half the time. I doubt I will take the time to listen.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 10:59:53 AM »
Ran, I know that podcasts are popular, but they are not with me. They take too long. I can read something in half the time. I doubt I will take the time to listen.
Ditto. I'm picky with my podcasts time, and can generally only listen when traveling in the car (or throwing snow/mowing). Written stuff I can read on my own time when I still need to be semi-alert (i.e. relaxing in the evening with my wife, between lessons, in the morning when I wake up…).

I'll be interested to see and check out the new forum software. I like it here, but it's definitely creaky in some spots.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 11:13:34 AM »
Ran,

Good luck with the upgrade and I'm hopeful that past Discussion Group materials survive into the new GCA world order.

Hope to have the IMO piece I mentioned to you sometime in February, work demands willing.   

Thanks for your continued leadership of this site.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

V_Halyard

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 11:25:32 AM »
Go Time has arrived.

"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 11:44:16 AM »
Ran

It seems churlish to voice opinions on how you run your excellent website site but if I had a wish for the new look it would be that you lost the red banner at the top of the page. Unfortunately it makes it very easy for my work colleagues to suss that work isn't getting my full undivided attention.

All the best

Niall 

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 11:58:25 AM »
It seems churlish to voice opinions on how you run your excellent website site but if I had a wish for the new look it would be that you lost the red banner at the top of the page. Unfortunately it makes it very easy for my work colleagues to suss that work isn't getting my full undivided attention.
FWIW you can use a browser stylesheet to make changes to the site. Some plugins/extensions even let you do it site-specifically (which makes it easier to not screw up other sites with similar CSS/HTML).

I've got a few modifications to GCA in a CSS file. You could change the color of the red area, hide it altogether, etc.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 12:11:48 PM »
Wonderful news I certainly hope all our wishes will come true with enhancements.  I just put in an extra donation to help with the transition. Thanks Ran.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 12:23:30 PM »
Ran,
Thanks for the update and for trying to refresh the look and functionality.

I thought most of the content of Best of Golf was worthwhile, so hopefully it just gets moved over.

Podcasts are great, but accompanying text enables one to go back and read a certain section over, and that's hard to do with a podcast. This means a reference gets mostly lost. But I'm sure publishing interviews in written format is a lot of work, so I can understand the move. Maybe in the future we can have volunteers transcribe podcasts (voice to text software can help a lot) so the written version can be shared as well. I'm happy to volunteer to help.

This was a good reminder for the annual donation. Thanks always for making my golf life better.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 12:27:09 PM »
Exciting...cant wait to see the new product

Bernie Bell

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 12:29:00 PM »
+1.  This site sometimes stands athwart "the obvious rage" and is all the better for it, IMO.

JMEvensky

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 12:30:58 PM »

+1.  This site sometimes stands athwart "the obvious rage" and is all the better for it, IMO.

Not much of a podcast guy either but wasn't ready to go the full WFB, Jr. :)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 01:07:29 PM »
Be curious to see if were gonna move to a sub-section forum.  Long overdue in my book...

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 01:13:51 PM »

Maybe i should have waited for the Like button to appear!

I just hope this isn't at the expense of the kind of easy functionality in posting pictures that every other forum I inhabit features. It a picture is worth 1000 words its got to be worth an hour of podcast.

And if my wish comes true I'll happily make another (overdue) contribution.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 07:24:43 PM »
Was it done, or put off until another time? The site was down briefly, but is back up and appears to be the same from what I can tell in a minute or two.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 09:42:42 PM »
looks like partially done as 147 Custodians is still 147+1 and Ran's post said 147+2 will come out with the site update

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 09:47:18 PM »
Read the first line of this thread.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2022, 09:57:02 PM »
I am not a podcast guy. As a simple test of the room, consider a google form where people give you their age range and their preference (Pod only, Text only, Both formats) and you will see instantly what the current DG prefers. Something like this:

https://forms.gle/qYPBDxiUjCSfp3ee7

Now, if your goal is to attract new followers and members, and you wish to put the pods on different pod services, that's a different biscuit altogether.

Good luck.

Other RM
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 10:01:44 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 08:01:42 AM »
Read the first line of this thread.
Ha. D'oh! Thank you. I hope that was my "dumbass" moment for yesterday. Everyone gets one. Usually my wife tells me when i've had mine.  :)
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Brian Finn

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 10:34:06 AM »
I am excited to hear there will be podcasts.  There are several good golf podcasts, but only a few that frequently cover course architecture and design.  For those of us that crave such content, it will be must listen material.  Andy Johnson has done a really nice job over the past few years focusing many of his podcasts on architecture, and Feed The Ball was a favorite of mine for a while, before they slowed their production...and while not strictly architecture, Talking Golf History is probably my current favorite golf podcast.  Adding a Golf Club Atlas produced podcast will immediately boost the quality of content available for those that enjoy the medium, and to the extent that it is intended to reach a broader audience, I think it will definitely do so. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2022, 10:39:47 AM »
I'm sure the podcats will be a welcome addition to the site, especially amongst the younger more "connected" GCAers, and given the comments so far, a welcome addition.
And yes I host a radio show...

But I honestly love the written Feature Interviews, and I love the images that support the Interviews.

perhaps there's room for both on GCA?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2022, 11:15:13 AM »
Ran

The GCA instagram feed seems to be a hit and, I suspect, that a podcast will bring a new audience to GCA which, in turn, will expose a generation's worth of content on this site to an audience (and potential future participants) that are hungry to explore golf course architecture.

The OG Golf Club Atlas Podcast

Thank you for all you've done for the group and the cause of GCA!

Brian Finn

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2022, 11:25:40 AM »
I'm sure the podcats will be a welcome addition to the site, especially amongst the younger more "connected" GCAers, and given the comments so far, a welcome addition.
And yes I host a radio show...

But I honestly love the written Feature Interviews, and I love the images that support the Interviews.

perhaps there's room for both on GCA?
Completely agree.  I imagine anyone that spends significant time on this site enjoys the written pieces.  I do hope there is room for both. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2022, 11:56:52 AM »
Ran has been an engaging guest on other podcasts.  Looking forward to hearing him as a host.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2022, 12:56:05 PM »
Would be nice to not see the daily [size=78%]"[/size]An Error Has Occurred! Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back