News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Does a caddie help in appreciating a course?
« on: January 23, 2022, 03:08:44 PM »
I had lunch with a good friend of mine last week. As per usual we talked mostly about golf after the obligatory five minutes of "how is your family."

He had played one of the courses at the Loop at Forest Dunes. He couldn't remember which one. It didn't make any difference. He didn't like it all. "Just hit the ball into the big open fairway and hit it one the green. It was boring." He is a good player, maybe a 2 handicap. I asked what he shot. He didn't break 80. I asked him if he took a caddie. He didn't. I remember when I played the course the caddie was very helpful in telling me where to aim off the tee to get a better look at the pin etc. He gave me all kinds of information. I suggested that a caddie might have helped him appreciate the design better. He thought for a moment and agreed that that might be the case. Most courses have lots of little secrets.

DO you think that is true? Not only for the Loop but for other courses as well?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

A.G._Crockett

Re: Does a caddie help in appreciating a course?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 03:19:03 PM »
A good one, yes, without question.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Michael Moore

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 03:22:39 PM »
A while back a caddie told me "This used to be a great members course. Then they chased world rankings. Now it's impossible." I appreciated that.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 03:37:18 PM »
No, but they will likely improve your score.

Having a caddie explain where to hit the ball means I will forget the strategy. I learn so much more about a course when I get to do all the thinking myself. Sometimes I get the strategy wrong but that is part of the experience.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 04:15:14 PM »
   If I’ve never seen the course, I’d say probably. Otherwise, no. I prefer to do my own thinking.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 04:16:57 PM by Jim_Coleman »

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 05:02:29 PM »
No, but they will likely improve your score.

Having a caddie explain where to hit the ball means I will forget the strategy. I learn so much more about a course when I get to do all the thinking myself. Sometimes I get the strategy wrong but that is part of the experience.

Completely agree.

Niall

SL_Solow

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 05:31:35 PM »
The answers seem to posit a lack of dialogue with your caddy.  If I am playing an unfamiliar course and I have an experienced caddy, i will often try to figure out the best strategy and then consult with my caddy.  If we differ I will ask why?  Then I will apply his explanation to my game.  Ultimately, it is my decision.  However the local knowledge assists me in understanding the hole.  Moreover, if done correctly it doesn't take long as the dialogue begins as you are walking toward each shot.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 06:20:35 PM »
Depends on the caddy. Some are tour guides, others just bag carriers and lots in between.

I'd like to think most golfers learned something from me and I helped them appreciate the course when I was caddying at Quaker or some of Tilly's other courses... Some have done the same for me. Others, not so much.

SL_Solow

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 06:28:05 PM »
Jaeger,  I agree.  The process I described only works with a knowledgeable caddy

archie_struthers

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 06:47:22 PM »
 8)

In the immortal words of Clouseau..."but of course"

Don't think there is any rational argument unless the caddie is bad. Which can be the case ::) 

A good looper will point out strategy if asked, or just help in the way you desire. He is more a concierge than an annoyance if he's a professional at his or her craft.

Jan Stevenson named her first design "Walkabout" for a reason.

If you are walking free of accouterments and not in a cart you can take a "walkabout" visit the bunker you didn't hit into or inspect the angle from the opposite side of the fairway without holding up play. You can see more of the lay of the land for sure. Now going back to play a course again or walking it alone might give you a better perspective however if it is a normal day of golf walking with a caddie surely is a wonderful way to play, assuming they are competent.

This isn't a question of if it's worth the price so keep that in mind!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 06:58:34 PM by archie_struthers »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 06:48:52 PM »
Depends on the caddy. Some are tour guides, others just bag carriers and lots in between.

I'd like to think most golfers learned something from me and I helped them appreciate the course when I was caddying at Quaker or some of Tilly's other courses... Some have done the same for me. Others, not so much.

What my friend JK said!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 11:51:41 AM »
I'd say that while a caddy certainly can help you in appreciating a course, its may not always or perhaps even very often be the case.  And if they are a less effective caddy (to put it nicely), they can also diminish the entire experience.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 12:10:25 PM »
Growing up on publics caddies were non existent. Even carts were rare then. So you hoofed it. I like caddies myself and relish the experience. I think my first experience was Onwentsia Club back in 99/00 with a 1 on 1 match against a friend and felt like a real experience.
I think caddies are needed on some some tracks like RCD and others with a lot of gorse etc. Gladly pay for someone who will help find my ball and show me the way.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 12:39:22 PM »
I'd say that while a caddy certainly can help you in appreciating a course, its may not always or perhaps even very often be the case.  And if they are a less effective caddy (to put it nicely), they can also diminish the entire experience.
I was about to say a similar thing. I've had caddies that make me wish I'd just carried my own bag. They diminished the experience.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

archie_struthers

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 12:55:03 PM »
 8)

I would think this exercise is best served by assuming the caddie is proficient and nice. Even if he/she said nothing and just carried the bag you get some time to check out what's going on better.

Paul Jones

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 01:04:01 PM »
I think it depends on the course and on the caddie...  I think a caddie can be very helpful, especially with blind shots and different options on a course you play the first time.  When I travel overseas, I always take a caddie if possible.  However, I usually do not take a caddie for the 2nd loop on the same course.

Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 03:00:27 PM »
Not the one I had at Valhalla. He was three sheets in the wind (bourbon) at the start of the round and I was surprised he could walk the whole 18 holes! :o
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2022, 06:26:40 PM »
Growing up in Australia - I cant think of a course I played that had them.

Visiting America a couple of times - I realise the value they can provide particularly around scoring - especially on the greens.

As to their value in appreciating a course - I cant think of an situation where they've devalued that experience. Those that have a bit of knowledge about the history of the course certainly enhanced the experience for me.   

JHoulihan

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 12:36:46 AM »
I think when we pay for a caddy we hope for the best but temper our expectations. You rarely ever know this person previously, and you have no idea of their level of experience. I have only used caddies a few times at both private and public courses. Unfortunately for me, my worst and most recent experience was at Pinehurst #2. I had a good, not great experience the previous day on course #4 but was unable to use him after talking with the caddymaster personally. My #2 caddy did the basics carrying and lazering distances, but little historical knowledge and green reading was very demoralizing. Knowing he recently came from Sea Island was a poor excuse to loop alone and not be paired with another to help. Losing two old headcovers did nothing to help me smile before leaving the property. He did get a tip, but left a poor taste for a quick return trip.

Justin

Jim Franklin

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 09:10:39 AM »
Depends on the caddie. I had great caddies at Fishers Island and Sheep Ranch where the caddies really enjoyed what they were doing and really enjoyed gca. I have had other caddies where they ding clubs, lose headcovers, and are generally there just to get paid. Those experiences can go either way.
Mr Hurricane

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2022, 09:23:10 AM »
Even if I was guaranteed a great caddie, I would rather play on my own and carry my own bag. I'll obviously take a caddie on a course that requires them, but it isn't my preference. On the other hand, I wish forecaddies were more of a thing. If given the option of taking a forecaddie, especially on a course I haven't played before, I would say yes every time.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2022, 10:02:48 AM »
I think when we pay for a caddy we hope for the best but temper our expectations. You rarely ever know this person previously, and you have no idea of their level of experience. I have only used caddies a few times at both private and public courses. Unfortunately for me, my worst and most recent experience was at Pinehurst #2. I had a good, not great experience the previous day on course #4 but was unable to use him after talking with the caddymaster personally. My #2 caddy did the basics carrying and lazering distances, but little historical knowledge and green reading was very demoralizing. Knowing he recently came from Sea Island was a poor excuse to loop alone and not be paired with another to help. Losing two old headcovers did nothing to help me smile before leaving the property. He did get a tip, but left a poor taste for a quick return trip.

Justin
I've had GREAT caddies at Harbour Town and Streamsong; got their contact info in case I ever get back to either one.
Your Pinehurst story made me laugh; I had a TERRIBLE caddie at #4 several months ago, who also lost my driver head cover.  My DRIVER, and it was a really nice Sunfish knit cover that couldn't possibly fall off on it's own.

I was back in Pinehurst a couple of weeks later and found my head cover in the Lost and Found, which is down in the cart area.  If you ever want to see something amazing, check out the Lost and Found at Pinehurst.  There were hundreds of head covers in the box; if mine hadn't been pretty distinctive, I'd have given up.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mark Mammel

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2022, 04:05:12 PM »
I prefer to be on my own. I am a very average player- mid-teens handicap- and having a caddie often just makes me feel inadequate when I can't make the shot they suggest. Why would I hire a critic? I play with my friends! Seriously, I only take a caddie when it is required. In a competition on an unknown track, I'm sure it would be a help. Not my kind of golf.
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Steve Salmen

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2022, 04:37:03 PM »
I'm usually rather indifferent unless it's a great course and I've never played it before or it has been a long time since playing there.

If you're naturally frugal, don't bother taking a caddie.  I used to think there was little value.  If you're on the fence at a place like Bandon or Scotland, do yourself a favor and splurge.  More often than not, you'll have someone who genuinely wants you to do well and try their best to help you.  Yes, there are poor caddies but you'll improve your chances if you do some homework and call ahead to book a caddy who knows what he's doing. 

My wife and I recently played Pebble Beach and had the best caddy at the joint because I called ahead.  It was one of my top 5 days of golf ever.   I did not make a very good score, but had a walk I will always remember.

I had not been to Bandon in over 10 years and made a point to look up my old four ball partner, Sven.  The trip was much better walking the courses with him.

Brad Lawrence

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2022, 05:12:21 PM »
I would say walking does but not necessarily walking with a caddy.  I honestly hate taking a caddy if I’m sharing him or her with another player. I would much rather just carry my own bag if given the choice.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back