News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

Course Restoration Software?
« on: January 20, 2022, 02:18:01 PM »
Hola!

I'm currently unemployed and have plenty of time on my hands. Would like to take a crack at a renovation for my home course, but don't know where to start, software-wise.

I could take images from Google Earth and trace over them, I guess, but I'm wondering what someone in the biz would use for a "quick and dirty" first crack at something like that. I simply want to show where I'd remove trees, add width, include native areas, etc.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Bill Seitz

Re: Course Restoration Software?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 04:57:47 PM »
Pete Flory is probably the guy to ask.  I imagine you could build out the current course with a LIDAR file, then tinker from there.  There are some people who are really good at this using the course designer from PGA 2K21, and have built some really recreations (as well as a ton of nicely done originals).  I don't believe that's what Pete uses, even though his files can ultimately be used in the game. 

Would be interesting to see what you come up with given the constraints of the site, with the creek, the road, and the canyon edges.  I really need to get back there one of these days.  I don't think the pond left of 12 existed the last time I was there.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 05:01:36 PM »
I too am interested in this idea, more from the perspective of capturing how my club's course evolved over the years using historical aerial photos all adjusted into a line drawing format for consistency.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

John Emerson

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 11:17:36 PM »
Use historic aerial maps (historicaerials.com) plus google earth pro.  There’s nothing else needed.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 10:52:02 AM »
Pete Dye, Bill Coore and Tom Doak didn't/don't use computers for their portion of the design.
Mostly pencil and paper for them.
I use Adobe Illustrator, which is really the same thing, just digital so it's easier for quantities and sharing with other disciplines.
Use historic aerials, google aerials, google pro, bing aerials, and get a trial subscription to Nearmap if you wanted the most frequent images in your area - so you can see spring vs. winter (if your area is covered)
I'd say a bigger challenge would be to write a descriptive narrative of your changes so it is understandable by other players and supplement with images or describe to them while standing on the tee.
Good luck

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

David Ober

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 11:01:28 AM »
Pete Dye, Bill Coore and Tom Doak didn't/don't use computers for their portion of the design.
Mostly pencil and paper for them.
I use Adobe Illustrator, which is really the same thing, just digital so it's easier for quantities and sharing with other disciplines.
Use historic aerials, google aerials, google pro, bing aerials, and get a trial subscription to Nearmap if you wanted the most frequent images in your area - so you can see spring vs. winter (if your area is covered)
I'd say a bigger challenge would be to write a descriptive narrative of your changes so it is understandable by other players and supplement with images or describe to them while standing on the tee.
Good luck

Thanks, Mike. Written descriptions will definitely be part of this project. :-)

David

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 12:26:33 PM »
Good buddy of mine knows the answer to this and am happy to connect you.
The work he does is so effing cool you can load his results into a simulator.

Basically, he uses the "Design" feature inside of EA Sports "2K21".
He can take Pine Valley and load it into a simulator...i shit you not.

Uses some "Open Street Map" open source data, imports some LIDAR imagery, merges it with some other hack and opens it up in EA Sports where he can do all the editing.

I have examples of what he has done and it is other-worldly...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 05:12:21 PM by Ian Mackenzie »

David Ober

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 11:28:53 AM »
Good buddy of mine knows the answer to this and am happy to connect you.
The work he does is so effing cool you can load his results into a simulator.

Basically, he uses the "Design" feature inside of EA Sports "2K21".
He can take Pine Valley and load it into a simulator...i shit you not.

Uses some "Open Street Map" open source data, imports some LIDAR imagery, merges it with some other hack and opens it up in EA Sports where he can do all the editing.

I have examples of what he has done and it is other-worldly...

I would LOVE this! Please connect me with him. :-)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back