News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Yes, a bit off the wall, but I just got a call from a researcher wondering if golf course architecture had any cross pollination from the Scottish Enlightenment, and specifically, the Adams Brothers who were world wide influences in other design fields?

I don't recall reading any such connections, and in fact suspect from golf history that golf pros were in charge of architecture, and not particularly in the same cocktail crowd as those wealthy and influential individuals, even if they shared time and space in Edinburgh and St. Andrews.

I understand this question is a bit of a long shot to get info here, but I couldn't think of another place that might at least have some bits of info.  If you have any info, thanks in advance!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Adam Lawrence

Re: Any connections between golf architecture and the Scottish E Period?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 03:24:53 PM »
As I said to you privately, I can't see how this could be. The Scottish Enlightenment was an eighteenth century movement. John and James Adam died in 1792 and 1794 respectively, long before there was such a thing as golf architecture. Robert Adam died in 1794 and spent most of his adult life either in Italy or England, neither of which had much golf at the time.

Now, whether any of the key Enlightenment figures _played_ golf is an interesting topic. But golf architecture, no.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 03:28:07 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 05:04:58 PM »
Jeff

I can't really see much of an argument to say that the Scottish Enlightenment influenced golf course architecture directly but I think you could say the effect of the Enlightenment period transformed Scotland and went some way to setting the scene for the boom in golf in the last quarter of the 19th century.

Niall 

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 06:27:23 PM »
I dinna ken aboot this mind!

Did Hutton, Hume and Smith Associates nae drag the land frae the Dark Ages and intae the Golden Age?
They nae doot puttered along, ironed oot all sorts o' difficulties, drove the profession a fairway tae unimagined heights, pitched many a fanciful design tae the bourgeoisie, chipped in a few ideas themselves over and above Mother Nature's and spoon-fed the hoi-polloi.
Do you no' think so? Ach weil....so much for The Enlightenment!

Orra best Colin

"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

ward peyronnin

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 09:38:29 AM »
I'm gonna be a wee bit lazy and comment from memory.
I recall that originally golf was revived by wealthy landowners who traveled with their entourage to Edinburgh and other town centers when their estates lay fallow over the winter and was thus a mostly urban/winter centric limited appeal diversion.
As the Enlightenment expanded the base of academics and professionals which expanded the economy for tradesmen and shopkeepers golf evolved apace into a year round sport with much broader appeal; a base better informed and more exposed to design principals,  however elemental,  which would drive a more systematic and rational approach to defining the fields of play.
QED

"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 03:28:02 PM »

Now, whether any of the key Enlightenment figures _played_ golf is an interesting topic.

Closest I can offer was James Watt, friend of Adam Smith etc., wrote that he had his eureka moment as he walked by the Golfers (or Clubhouse/Pub of same?) on central Glasgow Green(architecture?) in May 1765. This led to the "Steam jacket" and the first really efficient steam engine for which he is remembered.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 05:25:19 PM »
It’s a bloody interesting question. Somebody must have chosen the locations of tees, greens and hazards at Bruntsfield, Leith and Glasgow Green. Does that qualify them as ‘architects’? It’s my inclination to say no, but I can easily imagine spirited discussions over a few beers and ports in the local taverns as to which we’re the ‘easy’ and ‘difficult’ spots for the pins for the next day’s competition or which was the hardest grassy mound to get over.
Is that ‘design’?
The Adams were way too busy raking it in designing Palladian mansions for the gentry to be bothered with golf courses. At the time, ‘landscape design’ was mostly about the gardens surrounding these grand houses. It’s certainly interesting to note that some of those grand gardens have since become golf courses though!
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back