News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Emerson

Re: One and done
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2022, 02:04:01 PM »
I was not a fan of the experience at either Castle Stuart or Kingsbarns and did not think the courses good enough to then warrant a return visit. I could play three rounds at Golspie, Kilspindie, or Elie for about the same price as one round at either CS or KB.

Ira

Thought KB was great, but the Castle Course was not good imo.  I will never go back there
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Ira Fishman

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2022, 02:22:35 PM »
Agree with those who listed Old Head. I would add Kapalua Plantation, PH4, and PH8 to my list. I definitely would pony up for PH2 again for a 3rd or more play.

My wife did not care for Old Mac so it is a one and done for us despite our return trip to Bandon next year.

Ira

Jeff Schley

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2022, 02:49:06 PM »
Love the history and appreciate the difficulty, but Royal County Down was just way too hard of a golf course for me as a mid teen capper. Yes it wasn't a great day, winds maybe 20-30 (although no rain) but with the gorse it was just way too difficult for me to keep it in the fairway. If when I get more time to devout to improving my game perhaps I'd consider it, but right now I can't see myself going back as the lost balls were just sucking my joy away (and caddie not finding but 2 of them).
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2022, 02:50:24 PM »
At first glance, TD and I have pretty similar taste.

Not dying to go back - in no particular order:

Gleneagles (either one)
Aronimink
Wentworth
Troon
WF West
Pumpkin Ridge (either one)
Atlantic
Medinah
East Lake
Nicklaus Courses (except Mayacama)
The Preserve
Bayonet
Cascata
Kingsbarns
Killarney
Old Head
Stone Harbor (current incarnation)
Bali Hai
Kaanapali North
Desert Willow
King Kamehameha
Dove Mountain (another Nicklaus)
Silverado North
Trump Palos Verdes
Troon North
Edgewood Tahoe
Almaden CC
Torrey South

I could actually go on for quite a while . . . . .

JMEvensky

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2022, 03:07:33 PM »

Love the history and appreciate the difficulty, but Royal County Down was just way too hard of a golf course for me as a mid teen capper. Yes it wasn't a great day, winds maybe 20-30 (although no rain) but with the gorse it was just way too difficult for me to keep it in the fairway. If when I get more time to devout to improving my game perhaps I'd consider it, but right now I can't see myself going back as the lost balls were just sucking my joy away (and caddie not finding but 2 of them).

Guessing this is why they make chocolate and vanilla--there's no better place on Earth for me than RCD. But a friend I was playing with agrees with you 100%.

John Foley

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2022, 03:28:36 PM »
Not sure I'll go back to Sawgrass given the price. Haven't seen Pebble, but I will, but can't imagine seeing it more than once.

I've seen Bayonne but not sure I need to see it again. Played Kiawah 25 years ago but saw it again last spring and was VERY glad to see it again.

Seen Ballyhack, not sure I need to get back. Played Dormie a bunch but given the new biz model there I doubt I'll get back but would play it every time I was in the area if I could.

So I guess for this golfer who loves the discovery, not sure it's easy to know at that time.
Integrity in the moment of choice

JohnVDB

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2022, 03:48:35 PM »

Jeff,
I [size=78%]feel the same way about Pine Valley as you do about RCD.  i played it this summer and there is not doubt it is a great test of golf and probably deserves to be ranked at or near the top, but it is way to hard for me. I only missed three fairways by a combined distance of about ten yards and still couldn’t score at all.  [/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]As for RCD, I played it later in the summer and enjoyed it immensely. We had much better conditions than you and it felt playable and potentially scoreable.  My score wasn’t much different than PV, but I felt that I could play it.[/size]

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2022, 04:02:29 PM »
Speaking as a Tillinghast fanatic, it's hard for me to admit but going back to Brackenridge Park would be tough for me. I played it once to be able to say, "I was here!" but that was like graffiti! Plunging a major highway into the guts of what once was a classic just hurt me. That's not to say a few good holes haven't remained but... you probably got the idea.

Money will curtail my visits to places like Pebble or Shadow Creek.

About the only other reasons for a "one-and-done" would be horrible neglect as I once encountered at Mullett Bay on St. Martin's or political differences e.g. No women members (What's the dad of four daughters to do?).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 04:04:37 PM by Mark Molyneux »

Tim Martin

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2022, 04:13:27 PM »
Hamilton Farm
Lake of Isles North
Stanwich

All too difficult for me
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 04:18:15 PM by Tim Martin »

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2022, 07:14:03 PM »
Don't hate me, because I suck - particularly when in the presence of Matt Cohn or Fortson - but if you can hit the ball straight and 220 yards in the air, PV is *NOT* a "hard" golf course.

Please, even when you get to #5, just skinny a driver up the left side and you'll be amazed at how easy straight 3' uphill putt becomes. And the last time, TE Paul walked the track with me (too tired after a late party to play), pointing out all the stuff I had somehow missed the first couple times.

Just thinking about trying to tackle WF West or The Mink from the tips makes my asshole pucker . . . . but even a half-cripple like me can tack and strategize my way around PV, WAAAAY easier than endure a merciless, Carnoustie-in-the-wind horse whipping.

I think one of the gaps we have (Brad Klein still suffers from it) when taking a hard look at a golf course is between the enthusiastic - who Mike Keiser refers to this group as "The Retail Golfer" - and those who were legit single digit players at a tough track.

Speaking of Brad (not to swell his professorial skull), but his idea of dividing courses at 1960 was astonishingly crisp thinking. The other was to populate his panel with a diverse cross-section of abilities, like the GM group, except with chunky Italian electricians.

The funny thing is this . . . . as the GD Panel gets longer in the tooth (putting aside the dilutive effect of affected newbies), the better we all get. Because so many of us have walked the path from delusional gunner to unrealistic expectations to flashes of brilliance to the cold hard reality that playing with the REAL guys is so humbling, you actually forget you're still a pretty good stick.

I have not idea why I wrote this, it is more a completely OT vector . . . . . I'm going to sign off and check in on Josie Goodale . . .               
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 10:08:08 AM by Gib Papazian »

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2022, 07:49:44 PM »
There aren't any courses of repute I wouldn't revisit because of the architecture or my feelings about the course. The far more pressing reasons would be due to cost, time, if I want to be in the area and hassle to organise. If someone invites me to Kiawah, Birkdale, RCD, Portrush, Troon, Lytham, Carnoustie, Golspie, Brora, Saunton, Deal, Swinley Forest, St George's Hill, Sunningdale aetc etc I would want to play. But I have no intention to organise a trip to these places paying the full fee. I have never been overly interested in paying a lot of money to play golf.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Anthony Gray

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2022, 08:01:42 PM »

Kingsbarns is taking a hit here. I played it the first year. Knew some locals that worked there. They have some wonderful holes. Not sure if I can name a week one. Haven’t played a Scottish course with better set of par 3s.

But the way they treat people when I’ve been buy just plane sucks. The friendliness is no longer there. Are wives welcomed to stay in the clubhouse while the husband golfs? Went to get something to eat while getting a tee time for a friend and was not allowed. Beautiful views before and after golf in that clubhouse. Wonderful place for a wife to have a coffee or glass of wine while their husband golfs. It has a feel of golf only ladies forbidden. And that ruins the place for me.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2022, 08:05:46 PM »
Anthony,  For perhaps 80% of golfers who seek out the new experience, I would suspect even Bandon is a one and done.  Ditto, Pebble Beach.  If you are the type that collects top 100 plays, you probably want to move on to the next one before coming back to any particular one.  JMHO and I could be wrong.

It seems Bandon would be the least likely to be one and done. When it opened, it offered something you could get nowhere else in the US.

Is Yellowstone Park one and done? Or, do most people dream of getting back?

Is Broadway one and done?

Back in the day was Disneyland one and done?

These are very good points God. I have a two year old now and hope to god I don’t have to back to Disney. The lines are like a golf club that don’t have tee times.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2022, 08:15:55 PM »
Anthony - you've been a wonderful addition since your return, a true breath of fresh air and full of insights (not that you need my praise or approval, but just to say).

Gib - with your list of one-and-dones (and other posts about the challenges of an aging golfer), I'd be curious to know what a course like Olympic 'means' to you these days. That it's a long time 'home' and a place of many friends and memories I can well imagine, but in purely 'golf' terms -- is it a 'new kind of challenge' or more a 'bridge too far'? and in any event, can you/do you still enjoy it?

Mike_Young

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2022, 08:32:08 PM »
Atlanta Athletic Highlands,  Torrey Pines,  Ocean Forest, Doral( haven't played the redo),  and I don't think I have ever played a Gary Player course more than once...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Matt MacIver

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2022, 08:36:09 PM »
Kingsbarns is near my top, but reasonable and well-travelled people will differ. I will play it again if I get near.  Will I prioritize it over Elie, Lunden/Levin or others I haven’t played - gosh what a decision I hope to have.

On the way home from playing The Old Course my dad and I agreed it was a one-and-done - like early Bobby Jones. Five year later (which is 15 years later now) we both agree it’s a can’t miss. So, certain decisions can change.

All of the American golf resorts I’ve been to, aside from Bandon, are one and dones. But I’ve been to multiple resorts multiple times because it was different pal groups, which is (to me) more important than than the GCA.

I will go to Bandon whenever invited (been once) but I’ve only been overseas once, Scotland, so there’s much to see.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2022, 10:40:43 PM »
Atlanta Athletic Club Highlands-Overly repetitive and difficult on a regular basis. Plus side is the tournament history and Bobby Jones connection.

What's the Bobby Jones connection? The Highlands course at Atlanta Athletic Club was built 20+ years after Bobby Jones quit playing golf.

I realize he was a member of AAC (what is now East Lake), but AFAIK he doesn't really have any connection whatsoever to the current location.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 10:46:12 PM by Edward Glidewell »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2022, 07:16:49 AM »
Atlanta Athletic Highlands,  Torrey Pines,  Ocean Forest, Doral( haven't played the redo),  and I don't think I have ever played a Gary Player course more than once...

Have you played Knob North in Dalton?

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2022, 05:38:40 PM »
A recent one I'd nominate is Payne's Valley at Big Cedar Lodge. I liked it and as my first Tiger Woods course I came away impressed by his design philosophy. But I just can't see paying $350 to play it again. The 19th hole feature, and even more so, the ride back to the clubhouse is something to see. But that's also exactly what makes it a "been there, done that" experience.

On the other hand - I would pay the $225 to play Ozarks National every year if I could.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2022, 02:35:49 PM »
Peter,

Check with me after my next spinal chop, but I quietly groan to myself when a guest insists on playing the Lake Course - because even the combo tees are too much for me anymore . . . . .

The regular white tees in the modern era are still enjoyable, but their construction and placement started 20-odd years back when I returned from a visit to Fishers Island. Had a fabulous match with the legendary Charlie Ferguson (age 81), me from the back and Charlie from the "Senior Tees" he had personally designed and placed.

At the time, I noted my father was having a hard time from the white tees (now, the Blue Tees on most holes) and suggested to John Fleming (our Super and son of the great Jack Fleming) some forward markers would really extend the years and enjoyment of the old man and his cabal of domino playing, persimmon stick, martini sippers.

Dad - fighting the same back issues that eventually brought me down - always used to smirk "Don't get cocky son, everybody gets their turn in the barrel."

And the lid on that barrel looks to have been nailed shut. Kinda dark in here . . . .

From that perspective, our Lake Course is not a "one and one" from the forward tees, but I cannot reliably hoist any approach crisply in the air beyond about 175 yards anymore - and some holes on the Lake do not lend themselves to the ground game.         

So given the choice (although I have been on the DL since last June - with Shivas in Chicago), I'd always rather play the Ocean or Cliffs courses. Unless the breeze is screaming on the windward side of the property, I can swat the pellet around with all manner of knock-downs - without needing an epidural on the 18th green.

To quote the founder of Tehama, "A man's got to know his limitations."

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 03:46:20 PM by Gib Papazian »

David Ober

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2022, 02:59:26 PM »
Anthony,  For perhaps 80% of golfers who seek out the new experience, I would suspect even Bandon is a one and done. 
 JMHO and I could be wrong.

Yes, you could be wrong.  There have been times where the resort was almost completely booked out a year in advance by the people who were staying on site making their reservations to come back.  Bandon Dunes is so successful because of repeat business.  I don't know the number, but I would guess it's more the other way around, that well over 50% of their guests have been there before.

I don't know a single golfer who feels that way about Bandon. Everyone I know who has played can't wait to go back.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2022, 03:55:54 PM »
David,

I've also never met a single serious student of golf architecture who does not dream of a return to Bandon.

It is also impossible to fully grok the totality of every aspect in one trip - even after five visits, there are holes and features I am still trying to decipher and wrap my head around.

That is not to say Kohler is - or is not - the equal . . . . or the Pebble Beach area, but as an intellectual and experiential exercise, it sets an impossibly high standard.

Gotta say, hanging with brother Anthony up there - or wandering around Old Mac with TD are in the pantheon of cherished memories of my life.     

David Kelly

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2022, 05:10:56 PM »
Over the years, I've bumped into countless golfers on the public links, workplace, social gatherings, etc...and most have never heard of Bandon much less been there. I only met one person who went there and for him it was a one-and-done bucket-list buddy trip.  I've also known and played with several other friends who were regular golfers and have far deeper pockets than me... but are perfectly content staying home and playing DS 3 courses as Tom alluded to in another thread.

P.S.  I'm glad to hear there are plentiful repeat visitors to keep Bandon tee sheets packed, but it certainly represents a tiny slice of the golfing population.
You are posting on a hobbyist website that deals with a particular aspect of golf so your response seems rather reductive. I think it should be a given on this website that the "average" golfer has different opinions and experiences from the participants on GCA.   99.9% of golfers have never played Fishers Island and at least 90% are not even aware of it but that means nothing in regards to our discussions of it on GCA.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

David Ober

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2022, 05:32:43 PM »
I was not a fan of the experience at either Castle Stuart or Kingsbarns and did not think the courses good enough to then warrant a return visit. I could play three rounds at Golspie, Kilspindie, or Elie for about the same price as one round at either CS or KB.

Ira

Thought KB was great, but the Castle Course was not good imo.  I will never go back there

My exact feelings. Loved Kingsbarns. One of my all-time favorites, in fact. And The Castle was, without question, the worst golf experience I've ever had.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2022, 05:46:24 PM »
Ira
My exact feelings. Loved Kingsbarns. One of my all-time favorites, in fact. And The Castle was, without question, the worst golf experience I've ever had.
My goodness. I've never been, but I can't even imagine how bad a links course a links course has to be in order for that links course to qualify as the worst golf experience a good golfer has ever had!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back