News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Marion

Johnson City Country Club Bunker Renovation
« on: December 30, 2021, 05:28:04 PM »
I'm pleased to announce that JCCC members yesterday approved renovation plans that will see significant work to bunkers, trees, drainage, and other improvements to club facilities.

A bit of history, the last major work on the course was done in 1987 by John LaFoy which included greens and bunkers. In 2019, a bunker on the 15th hole was renovated and a new practice facility built. In spring of this year Mike Young renovated the 18th hole to overwhelming member approval.

Mike will be doing the remaining course work and we are glad to have him partnering with us. Plans will be to start in spring and complete as quickly as possible.  This will be the beginning of a long term, phased improvement plan for the course and club.

To say it's been a long road is an understatement. Let's say it this way, enough club politics, let's get some dirt moving!

Mike Sweeney

Re: Johnson City Country Club Bunker Renovation
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 08:37:10 PM »
Brian,

I had a very good friend who played for the Johnson City Cardinals (baseball), and he genuinely loved the people who supported and sponsored him. Think Bull Durham...

Between Bogey Hendren, Mike Young, and my baseball friend, it sounds like great spot for a future Dixie Cup. Please post some pictures.

Thanks
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 07:32:52 AM »
Congrats Mike.

Bob

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 11:30:20 AM »
Congrats Mike.

Bob
Thanks Bob.  I've arranged for a seance with Tilly this afternoon with a local gypsy lady.  Once I have spoken to him I can tell you more about it...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 12:44:50 PM »
Mike, I'm retiring in February.  Let me know if you need someone to lean on a shovel and point.  I've also cranked up the chainsaw and tackled a down tree lately.  Skills.

Glad you're on the job. Congrats.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brian Marion

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 01:03:53 PM »
Congrats Mike.

Bob
Thanks Bob.  I've arranged for a seance with Tilly this afternoon with a local gypsy lady.  Once I have spoken to him I can tell you more about it...

That’s just me kicking the table leg. Lol

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 01:31:28 PM »
Congrats Mike.

Bob

It’s nice to know Mike Young gets it. Use the tools that are available. Anybody that has ventured to La Romana knows the seance. Say hello to Houdini’s mom and would love to see this course after a couple dogs at Pal’s. There’s an old hotel next to campus that is a treat to stay at. The Dixie Cup sounds like a great idea. My mom died so she can’t come but my wife is available to caddy for anybody named John.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 01:39:52 PM »
Mike, I'm retiring in February.  Let me know if you need someone to lean on a shovel and point.  I've also cranked up the chainsaw and tackled a down tree lately.  Skills.

Glad you're on the job. Congrats.

Bogey

My god this has great potential. Two Mikes Golf. Or Young Old Golf Design. Or Two Men and a Shoval. Like the Evangelist of golf. The golf preacher and Sunday school teacher. I have chills.

Brian Marion

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 04:57:30 PM »
Congrats Mike.

Bob

It’s nice to know Mike Young gets it. Use the tools that are available. Anybody that has ventured to La Romana knows the seance. Say hello to Houdini’s mom and would love to see this course after a couple dogs at Pal’s. There’s an old hotel next to campus that is a treat to stay at. The Dixie Cup sounds like a great idea. My mom died so she can’t come but my wife is available to caddy for anybody named John.

Anthony, that hotel, The Carnegie, is new.

Just built to feel old!

The club has a great rate there. You’re welcome anytime. Just let me know.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 05:18:37 PM »
Congrats Mike.

Bob

Anthony, that hotel, The Carnegie, is new.

Just built to feel old!

The club has a great rate there. You’re welcome anytime. Just let me know.

Thank you Brian. I stayed there for a football game a couple years ago. Haha I thought it was 100 years old. I greatly appreciate the offer   We will visit.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 10:04:51 AM »
Kudos Mike,
This will be a great midway point when I travel to South Carolina so I will finally get to play one of your "works" more than once
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Jim_Kennedy

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 03:48:02 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Nigel Islam

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2022, 05:49:41 PM »
That is awesome. I have always wanted a reason to possibly check that place out. Now I have it.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2022, 09:36:38 PM »
Nigel,

Pretty extensive blog on the work done there.

This looks to be a photo of 'The Architect'  ;) standing on the rise , but I can't be sure as there is no finger pointing or rolled up set of plans under his arm.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 09:38:52 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2022, 11:31:18 PM »
For some reason I think the 2nd tee was once behind the 1st green and played to the existing 2nd green at a right angle to today’s line of play.  Any truth to that?
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ben Malach

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2022, 06:01:50 PM »
  . .
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:12:06 PM by Ben Malach »
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Mike_Young

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2022, 09:41:52 PM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:04:18 PM by Mike_Young »

Mike_Young

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2022, 07:55:12 AM »
That is awesome. I have always wanted a reason to possibly check that place out. Now I have it. 

Nigel,
Give it a little more time before coming by.  It's still a work in progress since greens and trees have not been completed.  Needs a couple more years.  But definitely come by.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2022, 04:28:29 PM »

The mention of Niagara Falls Country Club is an interesting one. Robert Moses fncked that course with his parkway back in the 1950s; the course used to run right up to the ditch 'twixt US(a) and CANADA. If that wasn't enough, RTJSR and others have banged around the course so much that it really ain't much Tilly any more.

That said, it is a wonderful host for the Porter Cup each year. In 2023, the Women and Men events will run simultaneously; first time in their history. Super cool.

https://www.golfcrusade.com/post/johnsoncitycc?fbclid=IwAR1h7key2vkRwcaa5o1NPojE2zd1v2EjhuNVgUXkRkIx6vkHdkfpM8uQBMA
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back