News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

Re: 14 at Dormie
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2022, 10:24:02 AM »
It's been a while since I've played at Dormie Club and the 14th is one of the holes that really stick out in the memory. The hole is further proof that architecture does not have to be that complicated. There was very little to work with across a broad continuous slope. Simply placing the green up towards the upper tree line with the one bunker creates all of the playing interest. The fall away nature of the green on a short hole opens up a lot of options if you got your drive high enough up the slope to play down the length of the green. If you ended up to the right you have a tricky uphill wedge over the bunker, especially to the back half of the green.

I can easily see that through repeated plays you would try to edge the drive further and further up the slope to the left looking for a birdie chance, until you miss too far left once to often. Thereafter resetting your target back to the right in order to take bogie out of play and restarting the process over again. I really like examples of seemingly simple architecture like this. It usually requires some slope and firmness to create the temptation for chasing the preferred angle. 

Tommy Williamsen

Re: 14 at Dormie
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2022, 11:51:27 AM »

I can easily see that through repeated plays you would try to edge the drive further and further up the slope to the left looking for a birdie chance, until you miss too far left once to often. Thereafter resetting your target back to the right in order to take bogie out of play and restarting the process over again. I really like examples of seemingly simple architecture like this. It usually requires some slope and firmness to create the temptation for chasing the preferred angle.

Jim. that is true. I generally tried to hit it up the left side have a clear sight line. But I have hit in the trees a few times and now aim farther right and have a blind shot. It is a simple design that works.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back