News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

OT - putting green
« on: December 26, 2021, 12:16:57 PM »
So my club has a pretty big putting green with about 10 pins . I’m there about 15 minutes just working on 4 door putts. There are about 5 people there . All the sudden I see balls start rolling at the pin I’m practicing at . Then this guys proceeds to keep putting balls at the same pin I’m practicing on for the next several minutes … is this a violation ???

Tommy Williamsen

Re: OT - putting green
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 01:11:23 PM »
It is certainly inconsiderate and impolite, but we live at a time when for some, the only person that matters is himself.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 11:51:17 AM »
On a congested putting green, it's something that should be tolerated when there just aren't enough pins to go around.

However, in this case, I would certainly call foul.  My Spokane golf buddy would never tolerate this, and would promptly putt those balls to the far side of the green and give them a stare as if to say "you wanna dance".  ;D

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 12:02:59 PM »
If you were putting at the same cup for those 15 mins, then I think you simply need to adjust your privacy expectations.

In other words: Get over yourself...seriously...some like to use the putting green like a clock and do the full rotation.
I can imagine them, ranting to their friends, that there was this one guy who hogged the same pin for 15+ minutes working on short putts he could do from anywhere.... ;D

Rob Marshall

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 12:40:43 PM »
So my club has a pretty big putting green with about 10 pins . I’m there about 15 minutes just working on 4 door putts. There are about 5 people there . All the sudden I see balls start rolling at the pin I’m practicing at . Then this guys proceeds to keep putting balls at the same pin I’m practicing on for the next several minutes … is this a violation ???

Inconsiderate
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Rick Sides

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 01:52:26 PM »
Ian , sounds like you are not a lad I would ever want to golf with . Like I said we have a huge putting green with many pins and I have a right to work on my game in a small corner of the green . You strike me as a guy who doesn’t fix ball marks and wear hats inside 😆

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 02:59:57 PM »
Ian , sounds like you are not a lad I would ever want to golf with . Like I said we have a huge putting green with many pins and I have a right to work on my game in a small corner of the green . You strike me as a guy who doesn’t fix ball marks and wear hats inside 😆

Come on, man...really...?

Sounds like youre the guy seeking the same opinions to agree with your preconceived notions to make yourself feel better?

Just so happens I'm the guy telling you something you just may not want to hear.

Your hilarious self-owning statement, "I have a right to work on my game" is simply classic. It is a club, right...?...or is this at your private residence...?...;-) I mean these other people on the green...I would assume they would maybe be your friends or fellow club members perhaps...NO...?... ;D

Like most things in life, the truth may lie in the middle and compromise is in order.

So, suggestions:

- you take less time on a single cup when others are on the same practice green
- they will then not putt at your cup

Now, everyone is getting along and the silly little feelings can now go back in the jar...
I have some pitch marks to fix... ;D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 03:06:54 PM by Ian Mackenzie »

Rick Sides

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 03:09:11 PM »
Fair enough ,
I have mo pre conceived notions . I try to teach my students manners  and expect adults to do it too . Like I said , had it been a crowded putting green I never would be practicing  .  But being a slow day the day after Christmas with 6 other cups open , I would think the gentleman would be able to roll putts at another cup .

Rob Marshall

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 04:47:21 PM »
Fair enough ,
I have mo pre conceived notions . I try to teach my students manners  and expect adults to do it too . Like I said , had it been a crowded putting green I never would be practicing  .  But being a slow day the day after Christmas with 6 other cups open , I would think the gentleman would be able to roll putts at another cup .

Rick you are right. I do it all the time at my club. I go to the far end of the green and do the same as you. Our practice green is huge and has at least 9 holes. If it was crowded neither of us would use up a hole by ourselves. It's just common sense. Maybe the guy was just clueless. No need to "get over yourself".
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Rick Sides

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 05:34:51 PM »
Thanks Rob!
Like I said if it was crowded I wouldn’t even practice . Most of us can’t afford a putting green in our backyard , hence why we join clubs and use what’s called a “ practice faculty.” It would be just as odd if you were hitting balls on the range and someone grabbed your tee and started hitting balls . This is called etiquette! 

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 08:57:02 PM »
Inconsiderate, and for sure bad "etiquette" for a non-crowded putting green.  Maybe the guy was a new player that didn't know it wasn't the right thing to do.

Reminds me of the time a few years ago when I was at a local green (public course) and a lady just went from end to end stroking these 100+ foot putts from one side of the green to another!  She just kept doing it over and over, going back and forth from one side of the green to another, no matter who or what was in her way!  I made a quick recording of one of the putts.

https://youtu.be/TntC6HbaafM
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 09:16:14 PM »
That putt didn't get within ten feet of someone else. I have no problem with that one, just as I have no problem with the people doing similar things at Thistle Dhu. Who cares? Why are people so quick to find things offensive or rude? What if the other guy thought that taking up one hole for 15 minutes was kind of rude?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2021, 09:36:00 PM »
My recent practice green complaint was on a green that only had four pins. It was only me an another guy on it for a little while, but every time he finished a hole, he'd hit to the next hole while standing right next to the hole he finished. I was taught at a young age to always move away from the cup you just putted to or else you're essentially using two holes at once. Hopefully everyone here knows that one and agrees.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Rick Sides

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2021, 10:05:40 PM »
Erik ,
How would you feel if you were hitting balls for 15 minutes at the range with few people there  and a guy comes up and grabs your tee and starts hitting balls in your space ?

Mike_Young

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2021, 10:08:22 PM »
IMHO the practice range has designated hitting areas for each golfer.  The practice putting green is for practice putting and many move from hole to hole.  I don't think the is a right or wrong BUT if it is obvious that a guy is set up on one particular hole then I would not put to his hole.  Otherwise I dont see a problem.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Rick Sides

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2021, 10:13:25 PM »
Mike ,
Like I said if the green was crowded I would Never practice putting on the green ! That would be rude . But being my  course has a huge putting green and very few people were on it I had no problem in my corner of the green practicing when this jerk starts rolling numerous putts my way

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2021, 10:15:27 PM »
Rick,

Of all the dozens and dozens of practice putting greens I've played on, I can't say I've ever seen a specific hole location where I felt the need to specifically putt at to learn something that I couldn't learn or practice otherwise. 

So I'm not sure why this guy felt the need to putt to your hole, while presumably several others sat empty.  It was a douche bag move for sure, but its not like this is the only etiquette issue this group disagrees over;)

Rick Sides

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2021, 10:18:31 PM »
Amen Kalen !!!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2021, 10:18:53 PM »
That putt didn't get within ten feet of someone else. I have no problem with that one, just as I have no problem with the people doing similar things at Thistle Dhu. Who cares? Why are people so quick to find things offensive or rude? What if the other guy thought that taking up one hole for 15 minutes was kind of rude?

Yeah, I guess you might have noticed that I said she was doing it over and over.  So the one video I took was to demonstrate the length of the putts...just picture someone doing that for over an hour on a green like that, going back and forth.  It wasn't always empty, and people were clearing a path for her.  I just measured the putts she was taking on Google Earth and it was 160 ft.

And if you think that someone putting to your hole, when there are plenty of others open, is OK...then, well...enjoy your golf.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 10:27:52 PM by Kevin_Reilly »

Mike_Young

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2021, 10:21:07 PM »
Mike ,
Like I said if the green was crowded I would Never practice putting on the green ! That would be rude . But being my  course has a huge putting green and very few people were on it I had no problem in my corner of the green practicing when this jerk starts rolling numerous putts my way
Rick,I understand what you are saying but I've never seen anything saying he doesn't have that right even though it makes him an asshole...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2021, 10:26:57 PM »
Mike ,
Rick,I understand what you are saying but I've never seen anything saying he doesn't have that right even though it makes him an asshole...

Mike,

There are plenty of things in life that aren't "illegal", but still very douche-baggy.

Weren't you the one who said, you can learn everything you need to know about a guy based on whether he returns his shopping cart to the appropriate place or leaves it in the parking stall next to his?  ;D

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2021, 10:56:38 PM »
Is there a chance he was simply attempting to be social, or perhaps share some Christmas spirit?
Just never knew there were so many putting green rules...or that any one hole could be claimed as "yours".
To answer your query, I vote no, it's not a violation. ;D

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2021, 11:33:18 PM »
Is there a chance he was simply attempting to be social, or perhaps share some Christmas spirit?
Just never knew there were so many putting green rules...or that any one hole could be claimed as "yours".

If that guy was trying to be "social", then probably he'd benefit from guidelines for normal activities, like this!

https://www.waterless.com/blog/urinal-etiquette

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2021, 11:58:36 PM »
Or perhaps he observed your buttery stroke and was hoping for a tip or some of the magic to rub off.

If that guy was trying to be "social", then probably he'd benefit from guidelines for normal activities, like this!

https://www.waterless.com/blog/urinal-etiquette

LOL--Rule 3 reminds me of the the time I "stood" next to Ralph Sampson....
and observance(a colleague/acquaintance) of rule 4 led to perhaps the single most important career move I ever made

« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 08:54:51 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rick Sides

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2021, 07:08:50 AM »
My one brush of fame at a urinal came when I looked next to me and my hero Reggie White was unzipping next to me😄

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back