News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Mackenzie

Re: OT - putting green
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2021, 10:51:55 AM »
Thanks Rob!
Like I said if it was crowded I wouldn’t even practice . Most of us can’t afford a putting green in our backyard , hence why we join clubs and use what’s called a “ practice faculty.” It would be just as odd if you were hitting balls on the range and someone grabbed your tee and started hitting balls . This is called etiquette!

Feel better now...?.. ;D

If you seek to have etiquette respected and adhered to, then you are sadly setting yourself up for perpetual disappointment.

I would bet that you and I agree on 90%+ of etiquette points in golf.
I've just let go of my belief that others's standards and levels of respect are ever as high as mine...;-)

And, guess what...?...it makes the world an easier place to navigate.... ;D

It's a flat-billed, white belt world out there with ear-pods in lieu of manners, Rick.
If I "threw a flag" (US football reference) for every "faux-pas", etiquette transgression or manners violation that happens today, I'd be exhausted...;-)

Ian Andrew

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2021, 12:14:07 PM »

We talkin About Practice?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 12:16:04 PM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Rick Sides

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2021, 02:42:35 PM »
Good one Ian,
Not a game.
Not the game itself.
Practice.
Hopefully you saw Ted Lasso do this ?

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2021, 03:25:13 PM »
Thanks Rob!
Like I said if it was crowded I wouldn’t even practice . Most of us can’t afford a putting green in our backyard , hence why we join clubs and use what’s called a “ practice faculty.” It would be just as odd if you were hitting balls on the range and someone grabbed your tee and started hitting balls . This is called etiquette!

I am with Rick on this one..I do the same all the time.
Find a corner of the putting green, sometimes setting up my 'devices" so as to stake my claim....then after about 20 minutes pick up my stuff and do the rotation of the putting green with REAL putting.
Usually members are polite and considerate and leave 'my hole" alone whilst doing my technical stuff.

But I am also sure that some consider me an arse hole for wanting to practice alone...but bottom line who cares!!!!

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2021, 03:32:14 PM »
How would you feel if you were hitting balls for 15 minutes at the range with few people there  and a guy comes up and grabs your tee and starts hitting balls in your space ?
That's not the same thing.

I certainly don't care if someone else starts hitting at the same flag or target as I am (this is also not the same thing, but it's closer than your example).

And if you think that someone putting to your hole, when there are plenty of others open, is OK...then, well...enjoy your golf.

At the end of the day, many of you seem to be choosing to be offended or pissed at this guy (or others like him). You could just think to yourself "man, that's weird" and move on, right?

If you seek to have etiquette respected and adhered to, then you are sadly setting yourself up for perpetual disappointment.

I would bet that you and I agree on 90%+ of etiquette points in golf.
I've just let go of my belief that others's standards and levels of respect are ever as high as mine...;-)

And, guess what...?...it makes the world an easier place to navigate.... ;D

Bingo.

Our car wash has three lines, and two are for people with window stickers and are automated. Today, someone got in one of the lines for monthly members (window stickers), and held up the line long enough for eight cars to go through the other automated line before the attendant could "help" the dummy who got in the wrong lane. What would getting ticked at that person have done for me? I put my car on auto-hold, turned up the music (a podcast actually), and chilled out for a little while.

That's not to say I overlook everything by everyone always, but sheesh. Why get so irked by a guy putting to a hole? Especially since none of us know what his side of the story would be.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 03:38:59 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Rick Sides

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2021, 03:38:51 PM »
I'm a middle school history teacher and one of my kids favorite lessons is something I call a behavior scale.  I teach this in the beginning of the year and tell the kids people of all ages usually do actions that fall in one of five categories of life:

Level 1- Behavior that is kind that makes people want to spend time with you
Level 2- Normal behaviors that make others feel comfortable around you
Level 3- Behaviors that are odd/weird that make people question you
Level 4- Annoying behaviors--- you will lose friends
Level 5- Behaviors against the rules- you will lose privileges and be isolated from others in society

What this dude was falls under level 3... that's the only point I'm making

SL_Solow

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2021, 04:34:02 PM »
Rick,  if you knew Ian, you would be delighted to play with him unless you are intimidated by long hitters.  Where does your judgment of him based on this post fall on your scale?

Rick Sides

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2021, 04:36:25 PM »
I would love to play with him ! I love banter and seeing opposing views . If Ian is anywhere near Jersey I will be delighted to host him at my club as he blows drives past me lol

Mike Hendren

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2021, 04:41:26 PM »
Just chalk it up to a tough day on the yacht.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike_Young

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2021, 04:52:58 PM »
Mike ,
Like I said if the green was crowded I would Never practice putting on the green ! That would be rude . But being my  course has a huge putting green and very few people were on it I had no problem in my corner of the green practicing when this jerk starts rolling numerous putts my way
Rick,I understand what you are saying but I've never seen anything saying he doesn't have that right even though it makes him an asshole...

Mike,

There are plenty of things in life that aren't "illegal", but still very douche-baggy.

Weren't you the one who said, you can learn everything you need to know about a guy based on whether he returns his shopping cart to the appropriate place or leaves it in the parking stall next to his?  ;D
Kalen,
That's exactly why I read this site...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Lou_Duran

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2021, 06:13:49 PM »

Mike,

There are plenty of things in life that aren't "illegal", but still very douche-baggy.

Weren't you the one who said, you can learn everything you need to know about a guy based on whether he returns his shopping cart to the appropriate place or leaves it in the parking stall next to his?  ;D

Kalen,
That's exactly why I read this site...

And I thought you were here to pick up design tips from the favored architects and their acolytes!

Good advice from Ian M, lowering your expectations of others makes life less stressful.  Whatever chill pills he and Erik are taking, please send a sampler.

During my two-year exile in CA I used to practice couple of times a week at Costa Mesa CC, a very cheap, high-volume Billy Bell Jr. 36-hole muni.  It was close by, though I only played each course once during that time because the glacial pace of play.  The range and practice areas were generally full and it wouldn't be unusual to have a dozen people chipping to one of the small greens.  You'd get whacked on occasion, often I would come home with a half-dozen crappy balls replacing a dozen or so decent ProV1s.  No big deal.  Everyone found a way to get along.

To Rick's point, I would never have intruded on his practice session, but neither would I have been sufficiently bothered to pen a Dear Abby letter to the DG.  Are we not repeatedly told that the fuddy dudy rules of golf must give with the customs and desires of the newer generations?  Just yesterday we saw Ian's 20-something golfer with his duck-billed hat on backwards driving up on the sides of the greens and into the natives.  We can lament the brave new world, or just do what we can to slow the incivility.  Me, I would have enjoyed watching Rick backhand the putts to the offender and see his reaction.  He may have apologized.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2021, 06:28:08 PM »
Part of what this scenario feels like...

Seems a bit like the pre-school scenario where a kid is playing quietly in the corner with a couple of toys, minding his own business, and that one kid who despite having a massive pile of toys to play with otherwise, comes over and interrupts and demands to play with those toys too.  If I was Rick, I'd have told the guy "what are you 2?"

Rick Sides

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2021, 06:45:52 PM »
Wasn’t expecting this many post … hopefully everyone just walks away with knowing the behavior scale ! Lol

Rob Marshall

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2021, 07:17:01 PM »
Rick,  if you knew Ian, you would be delighted to play with him unless you are intimidated by long hitters.  Where does your judgment of him based on this post fall on your scale?

I think you could give Ian two positions on the scale depending on which post you used. IMO there is a big difference between his first and his third which was great advice.

I would love to hear what possible reason the guy could have had for putting to that hole.

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ian Andrew

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2021, 08:49:47 AM »
Hopefully you saw Ted Lasso do this ?
Rick,
Yes. Brilliant tip of the hat.

I find putting to a Gin and Tonic rewarding.
Each ball that touches the glass is a sip.
It's clear what motivates me to concentrate.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 07:31:34 AM by Ian Andrew »

Rick Sides

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2021, 06:23:05 PM »
Ian, we need to tee it up lad ! Where do you live?

SL_Solow

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2021, 08:19:55 PM »
Rick,  Ian is one of the Chicago area crew.  If you get in town I will host you both.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2021, 07:32:59 AM »
Ian, we need to tee it up lad ! Where do you live?
If it's me you're asking about ... west of Toronto
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 07:34:38 AM by Ian Andrew »

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2021, 10:47:12 AM »
I would love to play with him ! I love banter and seeing opposing views . If Ian is anywhere near Jersey I will be delighted to host him at my club as he blows drives past me lol

Rick -

Ian Andrew is in Toronto and, coincidentally, we have played together once.

Ian Mackenzie lives in Chicago, was born in Canada (Montreal then Toronto), but grew up in New Jersey and caddied at Springdale Golf Club in Princeton.

I am in NJ frequently visiting my mother and would welcome the chance to play.
As Shel said, we would also gladly host in Chi!

Cheers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back