News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

Re: OCM Golf (Geoff Ogilvy) to redo Medinah #3
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2021, 11:06:07 PM »
Not that anyone here asked for it, but there's a nine-page special issue of Illinois Golfer with the master plan, proposed scorecard, renderings from OCM and H | K and a hole-by-hole analysis now at www.illinoisgolfer.net

One-stop shopping if you're looking for info. Merry Christmas (and every other holiday) to all!

Nice article Tim, but you could have called me for a better quote.  ;D

However, while the plummeting rankings and even lower scores were a consideration in the plan, the short-term and medium-term capital expenditures the Club was going to need to incur (new drainage due to surrounding development, irrigation replacement, cart path restoration, forward tees, bunker restoration, etc.) was more of a driver to taking a fresh look at what was out there.  It didn't make a lot of sense to spend 50% of new project cost to put things back exactly they way they are, faults and all, without an option of what it would look like to go all-in and solve all of our problems at once (design, infrastructure, tournament operations, etc).  An all-in project wasn't the goal at the beginning, but it pivoted to that when it became apparent that there was no phased or partial project that would accomplish our objectives.

Hopefully this is the last change for a long long time.
Ryan,
   Best of luck with the #3 project. In full disclosure I always enjoyed the existing #3. I thought it was a very fair but difficult course for us non tour players. My observation is that over the last 10 years your membership has really embarked on improving the entirety of your club . I have always felt Medinah was the # 1 family club in Chicago. Your amenities are the way life should be. The club's willingness to host the BMW and other high profile events has kept Chicago on the tour radar. Happy to have you over at Bev when you are shut down.

Thanks!  I've always loved it too - but not so much that I can't spot its shortcomings. I'm sad to see my hole in one hole, number 13, go by the wayside but if the full product becomes better than the parts, it's all worth it.

And be careful what you wish for, you may see me at the Bev a lot in 2023.  Love what you guys did there. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 08:33:30 AM by JR Potts »

SB

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2021, 11:38:51 AM »

JR Potts

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2021, 11:41:48 AM »
A mere $23.5M according to this article.    :o :o :o :o :o

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/geoff-ogilvy-lands-medinah-no-3-golf-course-renovation

That number is deceiving. It counts lost revenue, allocations to purchase other tee times for members and financing interest expenses. But it still isn't cheap.

JMEvensky

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2021, 11:42:28 AM »

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/geoff-ogilvy-lands-medinah-no-3-golf-course-renovation

Semi-serious question--if you're going to spend $23.5M, wouldn't you be better served blowing it up and building exactly what you want? Couldn't that be done for $23.5M?

The above assumes all the money is going to the golf course.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2021, 11:56:54 AM »
As the first course I ever played, on a Monday when the course was closed, and for which a disgruntled pro sat behind the then 17th green to present us a bill for our transgressions, I have always had a soft spot for Medinah that others don't share.

As much as can be told from plans and renderings, I like the rerouting.  It seems to be of the "only fix it if it is broken" variety, which seems like a good mantra for almost any renovation. 

The course had snap doglegs (originally) on 9, 11, the current 15th original 13, and 18, which Rees had somewhat removed, but the tee across the pond is much better than having to build one on the reverse downslope where it was.  The old short par 5 or later long par 5 with the Eleanor's Teeth green was never anything special.  And, while long gone, the original 14th par 4 was a cliffhanger and the water wasn't in play, thus nothing special either.

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

SL_Solow

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2021, 12:06:22 PM »
Ryan,  You certainly have come a long way.  I can remember a time in the not too distant past when a bunch of "young Turks" rebelled at the idea of hiring Rees to renovate #1 just as he had done for #3.  After some hard work and consultation, the club hired Tom Doak and obtained a great result. Now it has gone further "out of the box" and hired a relatively new company to revise your "crown jewel" and the changes appear to be significant.  Philosophically they appear to be outstanding and I will wait to see how they turn out although I am sure I will impose on you to take me out during the construction

JR Potts

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2021, 12:22:44 PM »

Semi-serious question--if you're going to spend $23.5M, wouldn't you be better served blowing it up and building exactly what you want? Couldn't that be done for $23.5M?

Well, that's what we're doing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back