News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

The 2021 Annual GCA Festivus Airing of Grievances
« on: December 15, 2021, 11:40:14 AM »
You’re allowed to air one - AND ONE ONLY - grievance. Do NOT reply to this grievance or any other. Please ONLY post your very own personal contribution to the grinchfest.

Mine is:
The continuing need for people to post horrendously off-topic threads. It’s possibly the only single thing I ever agreed with mucci on. And, yes, I get the irony of me posting this - an off-topic thread - before one of you big smarty-pants pulls me up on it! And, yes, I know I’m as guilty as anyone.
I’ve been advocating to the largely deaf ears of the moderators for the bifurcation or trifurcation or whatever of the DG for years. It would be so simple to create an area for off-topic banter/chit-chat/blethering where members could happily discourse about clothing, carts, hairstyles, idiotic behaviour or any of the other inane drivel which causes decent Posts to be lost to the lower pages way before their sell-by date. Maybe this’ll be the thread that causes them to act.

Repeat: Do NOT reply to this Post. No-one else gives a Shazbot what YOU think about this particular grievance. Let’s only hear your own.

Happy Festivus,
F.

PS to the Moderators. Feel free to delete this post if you don’t like it!  ;D
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Rob Marshall

Re: The 2021 Annual GCA Festivus Airing of Grievances
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 11:54:12 AM »
My grievance is that Pat Mucci was run out of here. Might of had poor presentation but he was a wealth of knowledge.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 12:27:48 PM »
My grievance is with the people who have used this site to further their personal standing in the golf community and then disappear off to the shadows to enjoy their spoils.

edit: He didn't say we couldn't edit.

While the above may seem harsh please note that to those who it is directed won't read it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 12:59:35 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 12:49:29 PM »
It makes me crazy when people comment on courses they have NOT played. Their uninformed opinion is just a waste of space. They usually begin, "I have not played the course but...."
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brad Steven

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 02:01:12 PM »
Disdain (seemingly as a matter of principle) for the good player's view on architecture. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 02:17:11 PM »
I'm grieved by the lack of respect shown our 'housemates' by the high percentage of lazy posts around here -- the one sentence long, predictable, conventional, usually snide/smart-ass posts that seem to have taken less time to think-about-and-write than even the 5 short seconds it takes to read them.

And usually -- if you've been here long enough and recognize the poster -- you can recognize in those lazy posts the same stale old tired opinion/view points/top 10 list that the poster has been trotting out for more than a decade, without any apparent new insights ever or any awareness that he hasn't learned a single thing in years.

You know what - work a little harder, please. Maybe put a little more effort into it, or consider not posting at all. Sorry to break it to you, but your farts don't smell good to anyone else but you. Your lazy posts basically say to everyone else that you think yourself superior, and that you have nothing to prove and no desire to share/give anything to anyone else.

How about this instead: if you have a 'thought', consider ignoring it until you get a deeper/better thought, or a second-thought, and then maybe ignore that one too until you refine it into a third iteration. Maybe then it'll be worth something. I mean: if the likes of Jeff W and Shelly and Jeff B and Ally and Tom D and Gib and Sean etc can put some effort into thoughtful, well-written and expansive posts, so can everyone else.

What a gnawing irony: that those who have the most to give work the hardest in giving it, while those who have the least to give put the least amount of effort into the giving. 

How's that, Marty? Grieved enough for you?  :)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 03:21:00 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 02:43:46 PM »
I'll back my piggy write (get it?) onto Pietro di Pallota and ask that people work harder on their Thread Titles. One of the things that makes searching so difficult is, we don't say what we mean.

Put some farking time into a well-crafted thread title (use this thread as an example) and people won't skip over it. I've written some shoddy titles in my day, and I know how many I skip over because they simply don't speak to me.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 03:30:39 PM »
I think this site needs a "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" icon on each post.  A lot of posts cause a reaction, just not one big enough for me to type something out.  I'm sure every poster would like feedback on their posts, even if it's sort of the lazy kind that such a button would allow.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

JMEvensky

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 03:45:45 PM »
My grievance is that I'm not as articulate as Peter or Gib.

BHoover

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 04:04:51 PM »
My grievance is the use of the word “of” as a verb.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 04:11:23 PM »
My primary grievance are the constant literary crimes - inflicted on unsuspecting readers, who feel compelled to wade through overly-long, pedantic, didactic (add in a few more unnecessary vocabulary words) twaddlous (not even a word ), circular bird walks - with too many dashes, commas, pointless asides and confusing use of parentheses - while peppering the text with unnecessary profanity, as if the ability to use the word f*ck as a verb, noun, adjective, adverb and corn starch filler demonstrates notable literary elasticity.

Furthermore,  continuing on that irrelevant thought - I digress . . . . . . in truth, I'm hiding in the Treehouse and only came back because the Facebook nazis want to make me walk the plank.   

« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 08:03:15 PM by Gib Papazian »

JohnVDB

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2021, 05:16:18 PM »
When someone asks for recommendations on somewhere to play in a city they are visiting soon, don’t go listing the private courses that you can only get on if you know a member.  If they know a member they wouldn’t be asking about that club,

For example, if someone asks for somewhere good to play in Los Angeles, telling them that LACC is worth playing is kind of stupid.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2021, 05:26:51 PM »
I am good with all the Posts except the political and sexist/lewd posts because even OT posts can either be interesting or one can skip them. So my grievance is the awful Search function. Ran pledged to fix it two years ago. Plus its failures make it extremely difficult to find the posts from the very insightful and provocative posters in the past, including Mucci, but more importantly, those who have passed away.

Ira

Paul Jones

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2021, 05:36:17 PM »
I have a grievance towards the posters that constantly bashing on the Golf Digest Rankings, they have a system/formula and I am sure the list is not perfect compared to your list made up in your mind that everyone will agree with...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 05:38:00 PM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2021, 06:12:05 PM »
I think this site needs a "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" icon on each post.  A lot of posts cause a reaction, just not one big enough for me to type something out.  I'm sure every poster would like feedback on their posts, even if it's sort of the lazy kind that such a button would allow.

See Peter's comment, above.  If the post is not worth your time to comment on, who cares whether you liked it or not?  Are we running a popularity contest or a discussion group?

mike_malone

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2021, 06:53:54 PM »
My grievance is that we requested and received our deposits to play in Lancashire later this year. After delaying twice I finally decided that it’s impossible to PLAN international travel anymore.

I’m bummed.
AKA Mayday

JLahrman

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2021, 07:07:19 PM »
Since I know that every poster on this board does not walk 18 holes in 2.5 hours, I don't believe anyone when they claim that they do.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2021, 07:09:36 PM »
TD,

In your case, it *is* popularity contest and you win!

I think Ira was referring to me with the political/sexist/lewd . . . . . I try never to be lewd, because I'm wearing a bustle.

If you need help with that one, "I'm your Huckleberry, that's just my game."

There is more to life than understanding the precise historical sequence of Alan Robertson's alleged creation of the Redan.

Cal Seifert

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2021, 07:16:55 PM »
I wish photos would resize while on mobile so I do not have to scroll sideways to see the right half of most photos. I remember there was an update coming to the layout and engine of the message boards. Hopefully the updated ui gets that fixed as I do most of my browsing and posting on here on mobile.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2021, 07:33:38 PM »
TD,

In your case, it *is* popularity contest and you win!

I think Ira was referring to me with the political/sexist/lewd . . . . . I try never to be lewd, because I'm wearing a bustle.

If you need help with that one, "I'm your Huckleberry, that's just my game."

There is more to life than understanding the precise historical sequence of Alan Robertson's alleged creation of the Redan.

Yep although you are not singular regarding political.

Ira

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2021, 07:36:06 PM »
If you restate your point more than three times on a thread it’s a waste of time. We get it.

If you need to tell me something more than three times via email or text it’s time for a phone or in person conversation.  So after three post you are required to call everyone on the thread if you want or continue to put forward your point of view.

I am dyslexic so my posts tend to be shorter in general. It’s not that I’ve not thought about what I want to say.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2021, 08:13:16 PM »
It's more of a disappointment than a grievance. I have not met Pietro P in the flesh. A lovely sight, I reckon, to see a tucked jumper and fag between the fingers.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2021, 08:27:30 PM »

👍

Jeff Schley

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2021, 11:33:10 PM »
Grievance is a stronger word than I would use, I'll use feedback as a velvet sledgehammer. :D
I really would love the search function to work much better, I don't know how difficult it would be or cost etc. but I'm putting in another xmas donation and many of us are constantly as well. This would be an area to address.

Combined with that the calendar function, which is a shame we don't utilize at all. It lists people's birthdays which is nice, however there is no way any poster can actually post an event like a Mashie, Buda, etc. for all to view. Put a link to the signup or information thread as well would be efficient.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2021, 11:45:13 PM »
Doak butt boys!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back