News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Something Old, Nothing New
« on: November 29, 2021, 04:21:10 PM »

I did not play a new course in 2021 or 2020.   But like The Fantastics I've still got memories to cherish:

A little beach music:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6maXTyShEw

Anybody else sated?  Why or why not?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean_A

Re: Something Old, Nothing New
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 04:05:07 AM »
Nope. There are plenty of courses I want to see as much for getting to the area as playing the course.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 05:35:28 AM »
I drove three times and flew one time to Florida in the last two years. Lots of new courses along the way. Jacksonville is new terrain for me as my son will now be stationed there with the Navy for three more winters! Timuquana was probably my favorite so far, but I also loved Jacksonville Beach Muni for the cool vibe. Did not play, but took a tour of Tom Paul's infamous Fernandina Beach GC (muni). It was deadly flat and probably a Doak 4, so my appreciation for Tom Paul's storytelling grew in 2021!!  :D

Military deployments start in 2022 for my son, and the first stop for him looks to be Japan, probably Okinawa. Military golf courses are very interesting, to me, as they get players from across the country and also from Allies from around the world to play with. It's tough to find a Doak 6, but there is alot of charm in the people and courses including playing behind barbed wire and under power lines:). Next up, with lots of possible hiccups in the journey is:

With Neil Regan's sudden passing, I have a renewed spirit of adventure for the game we cherish, the courses we play, and the people we play with.

I enjoyed my "Peg Board Hunting" days, but Iceland (US Navy watching Putin) and Japan (US Navy watching China) seem to be the next chapters and I am interested to see golf in those countries that are virgin to me.

#FlyNavy
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 05:44:44 PM »
Never sated. My travels with KL and EH this summer confirm that I want to see lots of golf courses. I love to photograph them, I love to play them. I will beg, borrow, steal my way on, but I won't ask any members on GCA for access. That was obvious from the start, and was reinforced along the way.

With death comes the end of memory, so what we leave behind are words and images, for others to enjoy until their memory ends. Thus it goes.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 11:15:02 PM »
I drove three times and flew one time to Florida in the last two years. Lots of new courses along the way. Jacksonville is new terrain for me as my son will now be stationed there with the Navy for three more winters! Timuquana was probably my favorite so far, but I also loved Jacksonville Beach Muni for the cool vibe. Did not play, but took a tour of Tom Paul's infamous Fernandina Beach GC (muni). It was deadly flat and probably a Doak 4, so my appreciation for Tom Paul's storytelling grew in 2021!!  :D

Military deployments start in 2022 for my son, and the first stop for him looks to be Japan, probably Okinawa. Military golf courses are very interesting, to me, as they get players from across the country and also from Allies from around the world to play with. It's tough to find a Doak 6, but there is alot of charm in the people and courses including playing behind barbed wire and under power lines:). Next up, with lots of possible hiccups in the journey is:

With Neil Regan's sudden passing, I have a renewed spirit of adventure for the game we cherish, the courses we play, and the people we play with.

I enjoyed my "Peg Board Hunting" days, but Iceland (US Navy watching Putin) and Japan (US Navy watching China) seem to be the next chapters and I am interested to see golf in those countries that are virgin to me.

#FlyNavy

There are actually a lot of golf courses in Okinawa, a popular resort for the Japanese.  Several include some coastal holes.

I could never bring myself to go there.  My dad spent some time there as a Marine artillery captain in 1945, and his memories of it were not so pleasant.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 05:20:37 AM »
Nope. There are plenty of courses I want to see as much for getting to the area as playing the course.

Ciao

That is a very good point. I still have a few gaps in my CV with regards Scotland but more and more I'm finding I'm drawn to the idea of short golf trips to England and a large part of that is to see parts of the country I've not seen.

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 06:12:23 AM »

Ciao

That is a very good point. I still have a few gaps in my CV with regards Scotland but more and more I'm finding I'm drawn to the idea of short golf trips to England and a large part of that is to see parts of the country I've not seen.

Niall

It's the same for me but country reversed. 😎

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back