News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Neil Regan, RIP
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2022, 07:04:10 AM »
The Met Golfer posted a nice tribute with the lovely worlds of Tom Dunne:

So many of us will remember him fondly for the eccentric-and often startlingly effective-way he played the game. He had an endless fascination for Winged Foot's greens, and he carried his love for fun shotmaking and camaraderie to Ireland-where he held overseas memberships at Ballybunion and Royal Portrush-and far beyond. What's more, he shared that spirit with everyone around him. Spending time with Neil could make you a better golfer-not a better player, with a lower handicap-but perhaps someone who's just a little more alive to the joy and good fellowship the game can bring. What a generous and wonderful friend Neil was! How sorely will he be missed."

Thomas Dunne, Golf Writer, Founder and Editor of the McKellar Magazine

Full article here:

https://www.mgagolf.org/news/winged-foot-golf-club-remembers-historian-neil-regan
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 07:11:32 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2022, 11:01:04 AM »
The Met Golfer posted a nice tribute with the lovely worlds of Tom Dunne:

So many of us will remember him fondly for the eccentric-and often startlingly effective-way he played the game. He had an endless fascination for Winged Foot's greens, and he carried his love for fun shotmaking and camaraderie to Ireland-where he held overseas memberships at Ballybunion and Royal Portrush-and far beyond. What's more, he shared that spirit with everyone around him. Spending time with Neil could make you a better golfer-not a better player, with a lower handicap-but perhaps someone who's just a little more alive to the joy and good fellowship the game can bring. What a generous and wonderful friend Neil was! How sorely will he be missed."

Thomas Dunne, Golf Writer, Founder and Editor of the McKellar Magazine

Full article here:

https://www.mgagolf.org/news/winged-foot-golf-club-remembers-historian-neil-regan
Mike,

Tommy Naccarato mentioned to me when the sad news broke that there may be an event at Winged Foot to honor Neil in the March/April timeframe.

Just to be clear I think it is to be a lunch gathering not an invitation to play golf, but details still need to be worked out.

Neil was truly special. I hope something is put together.
Tim Weiman

Michael George

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2022, 05:01:05 PM »
I got to know Neil due to 2 reasons - (1) Neil's uncle was the founder of my club, The Sharon Golf Club, in northeast Ohio, and (2) we shared a mutual friend who is a member of Winged Foot so I would meet up with Neil when I visited my friend.  I don't think any member loved Winged Foot like him.  When I played with him, he took more joy in showing me the breaks of the greens then actually playing the round.  I know that Neil also enjoyed being involved in the restoration project of the East and West courses .... as he introduced me to not only the construction supervisor but almost every member of the construction crew ..... by name.  A sign of a man who cared about people, not ego.

I enjoyed my time with Neil and am saddened by his passing.     
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

David Ober

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2022, 11:19:24 AM »
Challenge putts? Free shirts? Golf history and architecture? Wow. Sounds like an absolutely wonderful man who I should have known and loved myself. Wish I had had the chance...

Very sorry to hear this.

Michael Moore

Re: Neil Regan, RIP New
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2022, 12:02:06 PM »
The shirts were not free. I have only heard of one winner, Dylan Sweeney, who stood on last tee box of Winged Foot West 12 with one foot in the rough, assessed the 20 MPH headwind on a 50-degree November day, and hit driver, a couple of three woods, a short iron, and a nice putt. I think he got a quarter zip for that effort.

I have been thinking about Neil a great deal. He invited me to travel six hours out of my way to spend a few days with him at Royal Portrush in 2019. When I saw the course in high-definition a couple of months later, I could not believe that I had declined his offer. When he passed away I had real regrets.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 12:07:15 PM by Michael Moore »
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back