News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Dufftown GC
« on: November 03, 2021, 05:01:29 PM »
Since it has never had much of a mention here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m80bRNIpGk

David_Tepper

Re: Dufftown GC
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 05:41:14 PM »
Brian -

Nice find and thanks for posting. I have driven thru Dufftown 6-8 times and was not aware there was a golf course there.

Dufftown is also home to one of the best whisky shops in Scotland (which makes it one of the best whisky shops in the world!).

https://www.whiskyshopdufftown.com/

DT

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 07:03:15 PM »
I played this as a young fella. Had forgotten until I saw this thread.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 08:09:10 PM »
Ally -

Looking at some of the comments on youtube, it appears the current 18-hole course is a replacement of an older 9-hole course. Any idea when that happened? Which course did you play?

DT
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 08:13:41 PM by David_Tepper »

Brian_Ewen

Re: Dufftown GC New
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 02:57:38 AM »
Looking at some of the comments on youtube, it appears the current 18-hole course is a replacement of an older 9-hole course. Any idea when that happened? Which course did you play?

The video said it was around 30 years ago, when land became available.

Must be 20 years since I last played it, and I remember it was noticeable at that time, the difference between the old and new parts of the course.

I seem to remember it being all uphill front 9, all downhill back 9.

Quirky, wonderful views and that tee shot on the 10th definitely make it worth a visit.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 01:40:31 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 03:09:05 AM »
I played the nine-holer.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 03:18:14 AM »
That three of the leading you-tubers in GB&I are the unpretentious 'Average Golfer' and the down-to-earth 'Golf Mate' and Manchester's own Rick Shiels, and that they neither seek privileged access (to private clubs) nor pontificate preciously (about great architecture) but instead simply get on with playing the game (quickly and without fuss) seems to explain a lot about the kind of golf courses there that Sean A profiles so well -- and also provides a contrast to/insight into the American game and golfing ethos as seen through the lens of *its* popular you-tubers.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 03:20:34 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 05:52:14 AM »
I played Dufftown a couple of times about 10 years ago and as I recall it the climb started as soon as you got out the car and went up the steps to the clubhouse. From there on in it was all uphill until you reached the summit. The first hole back down would have made a fabulous ski slope in the winter if you could find a way to get up there. There was also a nice wee par 3 playing over a gulley up near the top. The last time I played I recall seeing a golf cart abandoned in the rough on one of the top holes and thought to myself, if these things can't make it up it must be steep.

I have to say I don't think I was aware that it started out as a 9 holer and presumably the new holes are top holes "over the wall" ? Also, I think the late Bob Huntley had something to say about this course as he'd played it. Those more skilled with the search engine might be able to find that.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 08:18:50 AM »
That three of the leading you-tubers in GB&I are the unpretentious 'Average Golfer' and the down-to-earth 'Golf Mate' and Manchester's own Rick Shiels, and that they neither seek privileged access (to private clubs) nor pontificate preciously (about great architecture) but instead simply get on with playing the game (quickly and without fuss) seems to explain a lot about the kind of golf courses there that Sean A profiles so well -- and also provides a contrast to/insight into the American game and golfing ethos as seen through the lens of *its* popular you-tubers.
Hairy Golfer as he refers to himself on YouTube is worth a watch too. Seems to appreciate quirky courses and has a nice self deprecating sense of humour.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back