News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Tavistock GC, GB
« on: October 16, 2021, 01:41:33 PM »
Venture to the SW of England and you'll find a delightful 18-hole 6,000-ish yrd course at Tavistock laid out 130 or so yrs ago on common land over reasonably flat, well draining terrain thats grazed by sheep and ponies and cows and has stunning views over Dartmoor.

The holes don't at first appear massively arduous nor the greens tricky. But don't let initial impressions deceive you, there's more to them than there appears. The greens, olde style likely built by horse and scoop and man with spade, look well, quite bland. When you play into them on putt on them or an up-n-down is needed you'll discover that they aren't quite what they seem though! The course is of the "looks easy, I'll score well here" puff the chest out type. And then reality kicks in and the players score might not exactly meet the players initial expectations. Sometimes less is more.

There are also clumps and areas of gorse, often in the places you would prefer it not to be! And when the ground is particularly firm shots bounce and roll sideways so fairways and approaches play narrower than they look. There are public roads to cross too, but not play over.

The Club also has a thoroughly nice Clubhouse full of memorabilia including old routing maps etc.

Just a few miles away is another very fine course, the splendid Herbert Fowler designed Yelverton. Whilst Yelverton is more challenging and architecturally more interesting, Tavistock, shouldn't be ignored. If fact the two courses make a great pair to play if you're in the area. Siblings.

For ease of reference here's a link to the clubs website - https://www.tavistockgolfclub.co.uk/

Anyway, enough words, below are some general photos.

atb

Below - the 2nd hole. A sweeping r-l dogleg par-4. Best not to miss the green left or long.

Below - the par-4 3rd hole. Nice yee olde style mounding.

Below - at left the par-3 4th green from 4th tee with the par-5 5th hole stretching away in the distance. The 3rd green is at right,

Below - the par-4 6th hole is routed left of the pond and the bovine drinkers.

Below - the away sloping par-4 18th green.

Sean_A

Re: Tavistock GC, GB
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 04:16:49 AM »
Thanks for the pix David. Do you have more?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

Re: Tavistock GC, GB
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 05:28:20 AM »
Thanks Sean.
Unfortunately I don’t have any more photos but there are some on the Clubs website - [size=78%]https://www.tavistockgolfclub.co.uk/[/size]
I was most impressed with TGC and if locally based could easily play the course regularly. I’ll certainly go back if in the area.
Tavistock makes a good combination for a trip with near neighbour the cracking Yelverton.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back