News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: GCA Missed Connections
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2021, 11:07:30 AM »
The infamous 2015 hailstorm on Father's Day squashed a trip to Sand Hills for me.
 :( :( :( :(

Sounds like another legendary Hail Huckaby tour.

John Kirk

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2021, 11:36:47 AM »
I declined an invitation to Pine Valley from a prominent member at my home club about ten years ago.  It would have included two or three days of golf.  I can't exactly remember the circumstances, but I think I had something else planned for that weekend.

Left a sizable hole in my GCA education, I'm afraid.

Michael Chadwick

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2021, 05:17:04 PM »
Was all packed up set to go to Augusta National to stay at the club and play for 2 days. My friend had asked me along as he was being hosted by his boss who was a member and the CEO of a very large corporation. A few days before the trip, he called to tell me he had just quit his job and would be joining a competitor. The trip was off as the CEO was livid.  Needless to say, we are not friends anymore.  ;D

Daryl--now that's a story I would like to see Larry David use for a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode!   
Instagram: mj_c_golf

mike_beene

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2021, 11:03:30 PM »
Reminds me of a man who used to be on my board of directors: He was years ago at I believe the Breakers out in a practice bunker struggling to hit sand shots. And older gentleman came up with unasked for advice, and was told get away. Back in the pro shop my friend was asked if Mr. Sarazan was able to help.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2021, 02:35:51 AM »
Was all packed up set to go to Augusta National to stay at the club and play for 2 days. My friend had asked me along as he was being hosted by his boss who was a member and the CEO of a very large corporation. A few days before the trip, he called to tell me he had just quit his job and would be joining a competitor. The trip was off as the CEO was livid.  Needless to say, we are not friends anymore.  ;D

Daryl--now that's a story I would like to see Larry David use for a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode!   
OMG Daryl what a story! Sorry to bring back those nightmares.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Rick Sides

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2021, 06:17:54 AM »
I know not golf but years ago my friend says I have front row tickets to this new play called Hamilton . I said no thanks, never heard of it 🙄

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2021, 08:02:46 PM »
65 degrees today, and I finally made the connection to play golf with Archie today at his beloved The Shore Club (formerly Wildwood). What an amazing golf resume that Archie has:

• Pine Valley Caddie
  • Twister Dune Architect and Builder
  • Greate Bay Owner and Manager
Thanks Archie for the hospitality.  :)

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2021, 08:29:41 PM »
1974, freshman at college.  The guy in the room across from me asks me if I want to go to Augusta and watch the Masters, stay an extra night and play the course. Back then, ticket prices were fixed and it seemed expensive so I declined. Still haven't played there.

Rick Sides

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2021, 07:23:47 AM »
Mike I too got to play the shore club yesterday … how ironic . It’s a great track and was a beautiful day to golf .

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2021, 03:27:29 PM »
Had tickets and a hall pass for five days in Bandon with the same three close homies I toured the UK and Ireland with.

The flight was set to leave the morning of September 12, 2002 - out of SFO.

Also got offered two days at Augusta in 2004 - but had a non-discretionary breakfast meeting to attend with a large customer who had summoned me to Portland.

The subject of the meeting - unbeknownst to me - was to inform their three key suppliers the distribution center had been sold and we were all outski.

After the head dicknose (who was fired a short time later for incompetence and collecting an off-books cut of the action) drops the bomb, I completely snapped and lost my shit.

"You mean to tell me we flew up here to Clackamas so you could give us the boot over scrambled eggs? Are you fuckin' kidding me? I turned down two days at Augusta National for a Dear John meeting? I hope you choke right here."

Never did get another invite as the guy who buffed us out through a mutual friend passed away less than a year later.

The worst one had nothing to do with golf, but I got offered a ticket to see The Last Waltz at Winterland and turned it down, because I had a date with a smokin' hot girl also on her way to film school in L.A.

Turns out, it was a All-Access, Backstage ticket . . . . . . and that same girl told me over dinner that night she had decided to "address her needs" and bat from the other side of the plate.

Still not sure which one was worse . . . . . .   

« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 03:42:32 PM by Gib Papazian »

jeffwarne

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2021, 07:43:00 PM »

Turns out, it was a All-Access, Backstage ticket . . . . . . and that same girl told me over dinner that night she had decided to "address her needs" and bat from the other side of the plate.

Still not sure which one was worse . . . . . .   

Wait, maybe the stories are running together, but an "all access", backstage pass, seems absolutely perfect for that...
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2021, 06:37:10 PM »
Not all Backstage Passes come with unfettered access. Believe me, "Guests on the List" who get to come backstage in certain areas and somebody with a "Go wherever the fuck you want, just don't cause ANY issues, no matter what" are two different things.

Trust me on this, civilians on our movie sets are an absolute nuisance, if not a serious liability. Ain't no different, backstage on the corner of Post & Steiner.

The point of the thread is to pick at our scabs and ask for the story behind our worst golfing scars. Really, the ones that haunt you - insignificant in the context of a long life - but nonetheless nag - living with the fact you picked the wrong door for Monty Hall and suffered the indignity of Carol Merrill pointing to your brand new booby prize.

You wanna know something freaky? Like no bullshit? The one moment I most wish a mulligan was my maiden voyage on the Road Hole in 1995. I didn't stink back then - and had grown up with my father telling me stories of playing 72 holes on TOC in one 24 hour period.

Far from an exaggerations, that was the last straw as Mom - already not terribly fond of blustery mist, blowing cold, straight from Dundee - informed my father (after putting out victoriously beneath Huntley's corner observation window) that upon their arrival back in the states,  Mom and her best friend (husband who also marched 72 holes and bigger golf whore than even the legendary Tom Huckaby) would be headed to a fabulous spa for a week - and he'd have to figure out a way cook something aside from scrambled eggs and Fritos chips.

Could I make that up? Yeah, but I didn't. Really and truly. I taught my Dad how to cook, not the other way around. Then again, I learned everything else in life from him, so we'll call it even.

But there I am on the Road Hole tee - having not hit a full-swing cut since the Nixon administration, with ball flight that makes Lee Trevino look like Nicklaus - but even-par for the day and determined not to reprise the Sands of Nakajima.

My excellent Caddy, of identical age and handicap - who had shepherded me around the Auld Sod with nary a blip - pulled the cover off my driver as if unsheathing Excalibur and handed it to me like a tartan Lady of the Lake.

I’d already decided to sneak a 3-wood over the corner and play for bogey when he insisted the shed was not as high as it seemed - although I was certain my ball would likely ricochet off the wall and hit me right between the eyes.

The ball got into the air, but trying to get under it I pushed my tee shot 30 yards right of where I was aiming.

“Perfect” he said, not noticing I was fishing another pellet out of my pocket for an O.B. re-tee . . . . .

My ball could not have cleared the other end of the fence by more than a foot, but my ball sat safely there, on the downward side of a hump, with an open invitation to the right side of the green.

Tartan handed me a 3-iron, but for the first and only time, I overruled him because of the downhillish lie and hit the 4. I figured better to be short and putt up the swale than yank a 3-iron into you-know-where.

“Keep you spine angle” he offered, as I eyed the gaping vagina of death, already feeling a “change your mind in the middle of the backswing and bail out because you’re a big chicken” semi-whiff - since my butt-cheeks were so tight if you’d put a penny up there, a BB would drop out of my undies.

By some miracle, I made contact, right on the Hogan spot of the clubface - and watched in shock as the ball chased the last 20 yards onto the green, about eight feet from the pin.

If I’d had an international cell phone, I’d have taken a picture and sent it to Dad, but decided to wait until my birdie dropped - on the first try on the Road Hole - since it was an achievement equal in difficulty to climbing the face of Half Dome . . . naked in the winter. Even more than playing 72 holes on the Old Course in one day like Dad.

My lifelong buddy David, literally playing the round of his life, had pulled his 2nd shot and faced a delicate little pitch over the pit of perdition. The pin was on the right side of the green, so I reminded him a roll with his putter in front and two putts up the swale would be a fine bogey - given he was 8 shots better than his average day - and #18 did not seem an insurmountable par for a neat 75.

Before the fall first cometh hubris and then greed. What the fuck he was doing trying to clip a 60 degree off a tight lie is beyond me, but his Caddy - already a little tipsy from the flask in his back pocket - egged on David with the “no guts, no glory” bullshit.

You know what happened next of course. David’s 4th-7th shots were bloodier than Omaha Beach and after pounding his sand-iron into the face of the Road Bunker, picked up his ball and helicoptered his bat OVER the wall onto Old Station Road.

A kindly Scottish woman, walking her Schnauzer, was nice enough to pass back the club, but the handful of Monday afternoon gallery were unimpressed with our group - although one cheekily remarked I’d hit a "good shot for an American.”

As this was going on, I’d lined up that birdie putt as if a million dollars were riding on it. David was already on the 18th tee - in a snit that lasted until the next morning at Gleneagles.

I got over my putt and heard a loud whapp - David had blasted a tee shot into the teeth of the breeze and was already marching over the Swilcan Bridge, in a cobalt blue streak of profanity that would make a sailor blush.

Satisfied I knew the line, I put the best stroke of my life on that putt and watched as it rolled perfectly, end over end, right at the center of the cup . . . . . where it stopped on the front lip, literally hanging over the edge.

One of the old Scots shook his head sadly and said “Ah what a pity.”

All us old guys remember that Longhurst line from 1972.

To this very moment, every time somebody mentions TOC, 26 years later, my first thought is not the majestic sight of the R&A or the Chariots of Fire beach, no. It is the fact I only needed to hit that putt one more millimeter for the story of a lifetime.

I staggered to the 18th tee with my heart in my throat, but had to wait for David, already down the fairway in a fit of rage. He chunked the sod over his 7-iron approach shot - it didn’t go any further than Constantino Rocca’s near whiff - and literally stepped into a 2nd try without even looking up, to see his 3rd shot stop no more than three inches from the hole.

My birdie putt at the last didn't come close - and despite an excellent round with a scorecard that made Dad proud, to this day, I still feel like a wardrobe-challenged Doug Sanders, with mournful Henry Longhurst making the call.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 12:54:01 PM by Gib Papazian »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2021, 09:02:28 PM »
Great story Gib. Keep them coming.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Scott Warren

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2021, 10:34:42 PM »

In 2002, when I was 18, I went to New Zealand for the NZ Open, which Tiger was playing in. My dad's employer (of sorts) was the major sponsor, so we had a tee time on Paraparaumu Beach GC the day after the tournment concluded. But then it rained like crazy all week and as soon as the tournament was over, they closed the course for a week to let it recover. We played Mirramar next door to Wellington Airport instead.

Fast forward a decade, I organised a GCA.com event in New Zealand with the main event at... Paraparaumu! About two weeks beforehand, my boss decided I couldn't miss some major planning event and I had to skip the trip. Three months later we got shut down (we were a start-up within News Corp USA) and I was made redundant.

Pram Beach... one day!

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2021, 11:11:07 PM »
Rob,

I've had a freaky life, the stories are actually autobiographical. Although David marched off #18 in a perma-snit - leaving me with the Jones brothers and headed directly to the Jigger Inn - this is actually who was playing two groups behind us. The "East Lothian Bar" is the Mallards Hotel in Gullane. I wrote this shortly after our return for our newsgroups . . . . . . this was written long before 9/11 as it is dated.

A Lesson from a Lady in Scotland
by Gib Papazian

“What is it, exactly, that you Americans are doing on a golf course for four hours?”

The query had come from my newfound Scottish friend as we were sharing a pint in a modest hotel bar in East Lothian, Scotland.

We had been discussing the cultural differences between the American and Scottish attitudes towards golf. He was a member of the Royal and Ancient on a weekend golf outing with some of his fellow members.

My companions and I were a foursome of traveling pilgrims who had journeyed to Mecca in search of the true roots of golf - and a sad example of the results of reading “Golf in the Kingdom” too many times.

Naturally, our conversation turned to the most glaring and sensitive difference in our two golfing cultures, the pace of play.

Sensing an international incident in the making, my American companions bravely excused themselves off to bed, leaving me to fend for myself.

I explained that, while four hours seems like an eternity to a Scotsman to play a round of golf, in the United States we have been conditioned to consider that acceptable.

Unfortunately, I then made the mistake of revealing that it is hardly unusual to suffer through five or even six-hour rounds on our public courses at home.

THE ROOM fell silent . . . an astonished silence. In a less civilized age, I would have been convicted of heresy and burned at the stake.

You see, there are very few private clubs in Scotland. The local public course is a source of great pride in the community, and the idea of a golfer being so thoughtless and rude as to take up that much time is unthinkable.

Golf in Scotland is played in 3 ½ hours maximum. Period. Players holding up the parade are firmly admonished by marshals that they must keep up - and everyone does.

In our country, marshals are often so worried about offending somebody that they hesitate to push slow groups along. They ought to worry far more about not offending the players stacked up behind them.

We should take a lesson from the Scots, and empower our marshals with the authority to crack the whip on the donkeys, or toss them off the track.

Give the worst offenders the hook and the word would get around quickly that slugs are not tolerated.

Any course with the guts to follow through with this policy would soon find itself a haven for fast players. It also doesn’t take a mathematician to calculate the increase in revenue from the additional green fees.

Golf’s popularity grows every day all over the world. We need to educate the new crop of converts that a five-hour death march is not normal.

Tournament play is one thing, and it is understandable how in pressure situations golf can take slightly longer.

What is not understandable is how a guy can plumb-bob an 18-inch putt for quadruple-bogey while the rest of humanity are pitching tents waiting.

PEOPLE WHO watch and emulate professionals on the PGA Tour should remember that there is a huge difference between playing your brother-in-law for a two-dollar nassau, and playing for a Green Jacket with 20 million people watching.

I thought of my Scottish friend several days later at St. Andrews, when in the shadow of the Royal and Ancient, we stumbled upon the true roots of golf. Her name was Clara McInnes, and she was 78 years old.

We were seated on the steps behind the 18th green of the Old Course watching groups come in.

She came marching down the fairway with a canvass golf bag slung over her shoulder.

Stopping only to swat the ball with her old brassie, her much younger playing partners - and their caddies toting enormous golf bags - struggled to keep up.

Clara wisely played a perfect bump and run shot up the front of the green through the “Valley of Sin,” the ball coming to rest 10 feet from the pin.

While the rest of the group was busy chili-dipping their pitch shots, Clara pulled her ancient putter out of the bag and walked briskly onto the green directly behind her ball. She read the line as she did.

When it was her turn to putt, she barely hesitated and rammed that 10-footer into the back of the cup.

Naturally we all began clapping. Looking back, maybe it wasn’t just her putt we were applauding. Maybe it was that Clara McInnes represents golf as it was meant to be played, or perhaps we were clapping for Scotland, and the game we love so much.

There is a lesson here for all of us.

She acknowledged us with a curtsey and a wink, picked up her bag and set off for home.

What is it then, exactly, that we Americans are doing on a golf course?              
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 12:42:07 PM by Gib Papazian »

jeffwarne

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2021, 09:54:09 AM »

A Lesson from a Lady in Scotland
by Gib Papazian

“What is it, exactly, that you Americans are doing on a golf course for four hours?”

The query had come from my newfound Scottish friend as we were sharing a pint in a modest hotel bar in East Lothian, Scotland.

We had been discussing the cultural differences between the American and Scottish attitudes towards golf. He was a member of the Royal and Ancient on a weekend golf outing with some of his fellow members.

My companions and I were a foursome of traveling pilgrims who had journeyed to Mecca in search of the true roots of golf - and a sad example of the results of reading “Golf in the Kingdom” too many times.

Naturally, our conversation turned to the most glaring and sensitive difference in our two golfing cultures, the pace of play.

Sensing an international incident in the making, my American companions bravely excused themselves off to bed, leaving me to fend for myself.

I explained that, while four hours seems like an eternity to a Scotsman to play a round of golf, in the United States we have been conditioned to consider that acceptable.

Unfortunately, I then made the mistake of revealing that it is hardly unusual to suffer through five or even six-hour rounds on our public courses at home.

THE ROOM fell silent . . . an astonished silence. In a less civilized age, I would have been convicted of heresy and burned at the stake.

You see, there are very few private clubs in Scotland. The local public course is a source of great pride in the community, and the idea of a golfer being so thoughtless and rude as to take up that much time is unthinkable.

Golf in Scotland is played in 3 ½ hours maximum. Period. Players holding up the parade are firmly admonished by marshals that they must keep up - and everyone does.

In our country, marshals are often so worried about offending somebody that they hesitate to push slow groups along. They ought to worry far more about not offending the players stacked up behind them.

We should take a lesson from the Scots, and empower our marshals with the authority to crack the whip on the donkeys, or toss them off the track.

Give the worst offenders the hook and the word would get around quickly that slugs are not tolerated.

Any course with the guts to follow through with this policy would soon find itself a haven for fast players. It also doesn’t take a mathematician to calculate the increase in revenue from the additional green fees.

Golf’s popularity grows every day all over the world. We need to educate the new crop of converts that a five-hour death march is not normal.

Tournament play is one thing, and it is understandable how in pressure situations golf can take slightly longer.

What is not understandable is how a guy can plumb-bob an 18-inch putt for quadruple-bogey while the rest of humanity are pitching tents waiting.

PEOPLE WHO watch and emulate professionals on the PGA Tour should remember that there is a huge difference between playing your brother-in-law for a two-dollar nassau, and playing for a Green Jacket with 20 million people watching.

I thought of my Scottish friend several days later at St. Andrews, when in the shadow of the Royal and Ancient, we stumbled upon the true roots of golf. Her name was Clara McInnes, and she was 78 years old.

We were seated on the steps behind the 18th green of the Old Course watching groups come in.

She came marching down the fairway with a canvass golf bag slung over her shoulder.

Stopping only to swat the ball with her old brassie, her much younger playing partners - and their caddies toting enormous golf bags - struggled to keep up.

Clara wisely played a perfect bump and run shot up the front of the green through the “Valley of Sin,” the ball coming to rest 10 feet from the pin.

While the rest of the group was busy chili-dipping their pitch shots, Clara pulled her ancient putter out of the bag and walked briskly onto the green directly behind her ball. She read the line as she did.

When it was her turn to putt, she barely hesitated and rammed that 10-footer into the back of the cup.

Naturally we all began clapping. Looking back, maybe it wasn’t just her putt we were applauding. Maybe it was that Clara McInnes represents golf as it was meant to be played, or perhaps we were clapping for Scotland, and the game we love so much.

There is a lesson here for all of us.

She acknowledged us with a curtsey and a wink, picked up her bag and set off for home.

What is it then, exactly, that we Americans are doing on a golf course?             

More of this please.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

JMEvensky

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2021, 11:32:33 AM »
What Jeff Warne said.

archie_struthers

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2021, 01:41:16 PM »
 ;D 8)

When I was an assistant at PVGC could have gotten on Augusta but never took advantage. Opportunity lost.

I did hit a big high cut at the time so might have had a Trevino moment or two (ha, ha!)

sure would have loved putting those greens though ;)

Shane Wright

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2021, 02:27:19 PM »
Gib,

Good story, but your lifelong friend is a dick for walking to the next tee (and throwing his club on that hole) while you had a birdie putt on the Road Hole.  I hope you told him this. 

Shane

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2021, 04:49:09 PM »
In 1965 as a senior in high school I was bored and tired of baseball and got both coaches approval to play on the golf team and baseball team at the same time my senior year.  The agreement was if there was a golf match, I played in it unless the coach wanted me to pitch.   Knowing little about golf architecture I still was savvy enough as a 17 year old Burbanker to know that a match at Bel Air was to be circled as the highlight on the golf schedule.  When I told the baseball coach I was going to the Bel Air match, he said no you are pitching that day.  With reluctance, I pitched sloppily and with a lack of enthusiasm.  We won, but I would have preferred Bel Air.  It took about 25-30 years later to finally tee it up at Bel Air.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2021, 10:28:25 PM »
Shane,

You had to be there . . . . . David had only broken 80 twice at that point, on easy courses.

I gotta admit to lampooning his ass for YEARS after that . . . . . and made sure to tell the story to a group of caddies at the the Jigger Inn, just because, well, he'd been a dick.

Here is the strangest thing about it, we'd gotten to the St. Andrews on a Sunday, when the course is closed of course.

Heretics we are - and Golf God must clearly must have been displeased - but after a dram or five at the St. Andrews GC (where Dad was a lifetime member, so they let me in - same name) - we bent the rules and tottered down the famous Road Bunker to give it a go.

Strangely, not one of the local punters in the club asked why these two retarded Americans were both carrying sand irons into the bar like Bushido swords.

This was before the bunker was defanged - and although I managed to extract my ball from the 10th circle of Hell (The Road Bunker and the Devil's Asshole are tied for #10) - David finally surrendered, concluding the best way to deal with the Road Bunker is don't fucking hit it there.

Yet the next day - KNOWING there were shards of broken glass, waiting for those who dare bed down the Kracken - the idiot still tried to clip that 60 degree off the hard pan the next day.

Moral of the story - for those who have morals - don't whip it out if you don't want to risk getting it chopped off.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:22:24 AM by Gib Papazian »

Sean_A

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2021, 05:01:44 AM »
Shane,

You had to be there . . . . . David had only broken 80 twice at that point, on easy courses.

I gotta admit to lampooning his ass for YEARS after that . . . . . and made sure to tell the story to a group of caddies at the the Jigger Inn, just because, well, he'd been a dick.

Here is the strangest thing about it, we'd gotten to the St. Andrews on a Sunday, when the course is closed of course.

Heretics we are - and Golf God must clearly must have been displeased - but after a dram or five at the St. Andrews GC, where Dad was a lifetime member, so they let me in (same name) - we tottered down the famous Road Bunker to give it a go.

Strangely, not one of the local punters in the club asked why these two retarded Americans were both carrying sand irons like Bushido swords.

This was before the bunker was defanged - and although I managed to extract my ball from the 10th circle of Hell (The Road Bunker and the Devil's Asshole are tied for #10) - David finally surrendered, concluding the best way to deal with the Road Bunker is don't fucking hit it there.

Yet the next day - KNOWING there were shards of broken glass, waiting for those who dare bed down the Kracken - the idiot still tried to clip that 60 degree off the hard pan the next day.

Moral of the story - for those who have morals - don't whip it out if you don't want to risk getting it chopped off.

Late night drink fuelled TOC invasions are common. No need to ask, the locals knew what you were up to.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 03:27:47 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Robert Kimball

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2021, 09:49:37 AM »
I will relate a Masters/ANGC miss. In 1990 I owned an art gallery and represented Leroy Neiman who I had asked over the years on many occasions to do a painting at the Masters which we could release as a limited edition serigraph. Finally he agreed to do so but it was February and he wanted for that April 2 tickets for Wednesday and Thursday, hotel accommodations, limousine service and airplane tickets.  I contacted someone who I had worked with who I knew had some ANGC connections.  He did have a client who was one of the few resident members of ANGC and owned a hotel in town and could get the limo, etc. and the friend had tickets he would let Leroy use for those days.  (His girlfriend traveled with him and I was not invited.) The member knew of Leroy and his work and the deal was done.  I was also put in touch with the head pro to help Leroy as he roamed the grounds with his sketch pad. (Leroy was very recognizable with his very distinctive mustache and slicked back black hair.). So now I had contact with a member and the head pro and I had Leroy send them personalized and signed posters of the piece.  But I never followed up with either the member or pro to get tickets to the Masters or the possibility of playing the course.  We did do a signed and numbered edition of the piece and I was able to acquire half of the edition which was very profitable.

Wow, small word.  I was at the 1990 practice round with my friend (who's father was an art professor) - and he recognized Leroy immediately. And, Tom Kite walked right up to him and said "Leroy, how are you doing?"  Very happy to see him. 

Gib_Papazian

Re: GCA Missed Connections New
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2021, 10:57:23 AM »
First off, Josh Smith is a better artist by miles . . . . Leroy Neiman sounds like a real beauty to work with.

Why didn't he just get it over with and demand an assistant to pick the green M&M's out of his snack bowl with Daniel Boulud standing by as his personal chef?

And he did not invite you along?

Wow, like dealing with Val Kilmer in the Island of Dr. Moreau.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:14:40 PM by Gib Papazian »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back