News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Jason Straka
« on: October 12, 2021, 09:48:04 AM »
Congrads to Jason for being elected president of the ASGCA.  I know Jason.  Smart, down to earth and a guy you can share a beer with.  Good luck!

Tom_Doak

Re: Jason Straka
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 05:20:24 PM »
Yes, congratulations to Jason as well.

Hard to imagine that someone I taught a class to at Cornell +/- 30 years ago is now president of the plaid jacket society.  ;)

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 09:30:52 PM »
Jason was a "natural" selection when it came to bringing leaders onto our board. He will be a great president and one of our youngest in history. .... and, Tom, it's "tartan" — not "plaid"   :)

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Blake Conant

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 02:38:57 PM »
Might want to tell the ASGCA website not to call it a "red plaid jacket" then...  ;)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 12:45:20 PM »
Might want to tell the ASGCA website not to call it a "red plaid jacket" then...  ;)

I actually found a book on Tartan at Barnes and Noble years ago. It turns out there were spring and summer tartans, and even dark brown hunting tartans for the various clans.  As each family grew, a fairly simple pattern got a new stripe, according to some rules or another, so as time went on, they each got more complex and unique.

To be accurate, the ASGCA website description is as follows below. 

The red plaid jackets ASGCA members wear are made from a material known as the Ross tartan. This tartan was adopted by ASGCA in 1973 as a tribute to the group’s honorary first president, golf course architect Donald Ross. Scottish clans are typically identified by one or more distinctive tartan patterns; Ross hailed from Dornoch, Scotland. The distinctive tartan is known throughout the golf industry as belonging only to ASGCA architects.
[/size][/color]

I think most people call them the red plaid, and I gather we just go with the flow.   
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 04:34:31 PM »
OK Blake, if I were to suggest...the word should be in quotes at the onset of that website writing, ....the "plaid" jackets...

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back