News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Architecture in Myrtle Beach? (is there any?)
« on: November 18, 2003, 01:30:06 PM »
My wife and I were talking last night about good spots for golf vacations.

Our two favorites are Cape Breton, NS and Bandon, OR (I guess we like the north)...

We got to talking about other spots - places like the hill region of NC, Williamsburg, VA, Ocean City, MD, Bend, OR and the like.

Then we came to Myrtle Beach.  

I only visited MB once, way back in 1980 (I was in college at the time).  I don't remember anything special about it, but that was >20 years ago.

So - is there any good architecture in Myrtle Beach?  I know there's a lot of golf to be had, but is any of it good?

Thanks!

Jim Franklin

Re:Architecture in Myrtle Beach? (is there any?)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 01:47:17 PM »
There are something like 110 courses in the Grand Strand and a few courses that are nice. Caledonia and True Blue are two Mike Strantz courses that are quite good and The Dunes is going through a restoration as we speak, but I really liked The Reserve GC of Litchfield. It is a Greg Norman design with a fantastic practice area and a good mix of holes. I really enjoyed the sod faced bunkering he did. There is no rough and the first cut is pine needles and the second cut is forest. I thought the chipping areas around the greens were a lot of fun and allowed some different types of shots to be played. All in all, it is my new #1 in the Grand Strand surpassing The Dunes and Caledonia by a small margin.
Mr Hurricane

david h. carroll

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 01:52:45 PM »
lots of fun golf down there and also lots of Clyde Johnson.  Marsh Harbour, Tidewater and many many others to choose from.  Turboe can help as well.

ChasLawler

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 01:59:57 PM »
The Heathland Course at The Legends (Doak) is worth checking out - as well as The Dunes and Caledonia which have already been mentioned.

dcarroll - I think Marsh Harbour has gone under financially and hasn't been open for play for over a year.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 02:22:20 PM by R_Junah »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 02:08:34 PM »
Forget Turboe.  Ask Matt Ward ;D

The best golf at K-Mart-By-The-Sea is the cheapest  Go for the golf - stay for the putt-putt.

From the Fantastic Shakers:
I don't care what the West Coast says, cause I love those Myrtle Beach days.

or General Johnson:
Carolina girls.  Best in the world.  You're so tough, girl, I cannot get enough girl, sweet Carolina girls.

Dadgummit, I love beach music. 8)

Regards,

Mike
A Sixty Minute Man
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 02:09:09 PM by Mike_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Robert Kimball

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 02:22:58 PM »
Barefoot Resort (Dye, Norman, Fazio, Love), and Legends (Doak) jump out off the bat.  RTJ's Dunes goes without saying.  Nicklaus's Pawleys Plantation, and Dye's DeBordieu would be a nice way to round it out. . .

Since I've never been on a mrytle beach golf trip where I haven't either had a beer or a golf club in my hand at all times (mostly at the same time), I can't comment on having the wife in tow.   :)

ChasLawler

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 02:33:01 PM »
Rob - did you really think any of the courses at Barefoot were architecturally intriguing? I played the Love, Fazio and Dye courses this summer and rode away (literally - as Barefoot is cart ball at it's finest) very under whelmed.

I'm admittedly guilty of the same sin you are when it comes to golf in MB, but only one hole (the drivable par 4 on the Love course with the faux ruins/ backstop behind it) of the 54 I played at Barefoot sticks out in my mind, the rest are just a blur of the same old thing over and over.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 02:39:00 PM »
For clarification, I haven't seen the Barefoot courses in person, only TV and web.  I have heard from people who played the Dye course there and said it was very "strong" indeed.  

One thing for sure, they certainly got some "big names" to market to the public. . . .   :)

ChasLawler

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 02:51:03 PM »
In retrospect - I'd say the Dye course at Barefoot is definetly worth looking at. It wasn't my cup of tee, but I can see how others might enjoy it. I certainly enjoyed it more than the Fazio and Love courses, and  I can't speak for the Norman course.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2003, 03:03:04 PM »
Having played a lot in Myrtle Beach, I've come away impressed by a few things I've seen, including the Dunes, True Blue and Caledonia, the TPC course, and Tidewater. The Norman course at Barefoot is quite strong. I actually liked the front nine at the Love course, thought the Fazio course was nice, but not particularly memorable, and really enjoyed the Dye course, which is tough. One interesting property is the Palmer/Sealy work at River's Edge just across the border in NC. Several of the holes, which are routed along the waterway, are terrific, though at least one (the ninth, I think), was kind of goofy hard.

All in all, there's lots to play in Myrtle..... but aside from golf, mid-tier restaurants and strip bars, there isn't a lot to see and do there.... for the wife, I mean.

Robert

Robert
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2003, 03:08:56 PM »
Forget Turboe.  Ask Matt Ward ;D

The best golf at K-Mart-By-The-Sea is the cheapest  Go for the golf - stay for the putt-putt.

From the Fantastic Shakers:
I don't care what the West Coast says, cause I love those Myrtle Beach days.

or General Johnson:
Carolina girls.  Best in the world.  You're so tough, girl, I cannot get enough girl, sweet Carolina girls.

Dadgummit, I love beach music. 8)

Regards,

Mike
A Sixty Minute Man

You and me both!  I love beach music.  I always have and I always will...

« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 03:09:47 PM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2003, 03:52:37 PM »
I spend a week each summer at Myrtle, and have played way too many courses to list.  Myrtle gets bashed a lot, and that's a pet peeve of mine; for the number of courses there, the number of good courses is probably proportional to the ratio in the rest of the world.  It's just that there are SO MANY COURSES that the number of average courses is overwhelming.
Having said that, there are enough good courses there so that you could put the area up dollar for dollar against other destinations and come out well.  Tidewater, the Dunes, True Blue, Caledonia, River's Edge, Oyster Bay, Heathlands, etc., are outstanding golf courses by any measure, and several dozen others are well above average.  There ARE a number of places there that I wouldn't go to again, but I have yet to play a course there that I thought was just bad.  It's golf, there's lots of it, some great if you work to find it, and very affordable.  You could do worse...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2003, 05:15:08 PM »
...or, you can just drive two hours down Hwy 17 and come play some really great golf at Kiawah Island... 8)

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2003, 05:29:34 PM »
It's an interesting dychotomy. On the one hand the author names Cape Breton and Bandon as places I assume he and his wife enjoyed immensly. Then you have the raw golfers experience of Myrtle Beach. The two will never be confused. Mike's Island will be closer to the experience you are probably used to.  If cost is at all an issue maybe, Mike can give us a ball park on what the typical 3-4 day stay run$?

ChasLawler

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2003, 06:13:59 PM »
Given the choice, and all things being equal, I'd choose Kiawah over Myrtle Beach every day. But the cost difference is very significant. Myrtle can be done for under or very close to $100 per day (everything included).

Kiawah's big draw is the Ocean Course - and rightfully so - but TOC comes with a pretty hefty price tag, and take away TOC and Kiawah golf isn't that much better than what MB has to offer (if it's even better).

The Litchfield Beach / Pawley's Island (South Myrtle) area is a nice alternative to the putt-putts, roller coasters and strip bars of the central strand area. There is some good golf in South Myrtle, and a day trip to some of the courses in central and North Myrtle is only 30 minutes to an hour away.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2003, 07:07:05 PM »
Mike H:

Appreciate the plug! ;D

Since I went to school at Univ of S. Carolina I had the (mis)fortune to see and play plenty of what is "called" golf in the Grand Strand area. I agree with those who have opined on a few places of note. I have always liked Tidewater -- to name just one. Ditto Jack's design at Pawley's Plantation -- although hitting the par-3 12th(?) from the back tee to the narrow landing area makes for interesting golf when the wind is blowing strongly.

However, in my opinion the bulk of golf in the area is fast food type stuff. Myrtle Beach is based on the same theory as buffet food -- give'm plenty of it at a cheap price. For those who enjoy scoffing down beer and grub and can get accomodations and golf thrown in (plus a few strip clubs to boot) it's a fairly good deal.

Most of the folks who come to Myrtle Beach usually drive there and it's really about maxing out as much quanity golf as you can. The quality aspect is really small in terms of architectural wonders. What would be in the best interests of the Grand Strand is for 20% of the courses there to go belly-up in order to sustain the rest of those who survive.

No doubt if you're freezing your behind off in the Mideast and Northeast areas the a-l-l-u-r-e of the Grand Strand is there for those who want to stretch the golf muscles. I'd much rather pass on it and head to Florida for some really high octane designs ... ::)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2003, 07:27:08 PM »
I spend a week each summer at Myrtle, and have played way too many courses to list.  Myrtle gets bashed a lot, and that's a pet peeve of mine; for the number of courses there, the number of good courses is probably proportional to the ratio in the rest of the world.  It's just that there are SO MANY COURSES that the number of average courses is overwhelming.

AG - I agree with you completely. The MB bashing is also one of my pet peeves. On this site it usually comes from the "rater snobs" who have played the best that golf has to offer and are now so educated about "real" golf that Myrtle Beach is beneath them. It is such a condescending attitude.

Myrtle Beach is about having fun and there are lots of fun (and interesting) courses in the area. It doesn't pretend to be Kiawah Resort or Pebble Beach (the Kiawah Island of the West Coast)  ;). I agree with Adam that the author would probably be much happier at Kiawah if they are looking for an experience comparable to their Bandon/Cape Breton excursions. Comparing those trips to a week at Myrtle Beach is like trying to compare hamburger to filet minion. They're both delicious... I enjoy them equally well... but, I never confuse the two. And, I certainly never bash an outstanding hamburger because it's not filet minion. It is what it is.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 07:36:58 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2003, 08:23:17 PM »
Michael W:

Let's set the record straight -- I cut my golf teeth playing on munis and although I have moved away from those dog days I still remember them VIVIDLY and I still play a few from time to time to keep my nose from pointing too far up in the clouds ;D. I also believe you can design courses that have architectural qualities rather than mass production products that are as stale as week old bread.

If you think Myrtle Beach is your cup of tea for golf go
right ahead and knock yourself out -- there's plenty there to play -- no doubt whatsoever. Plenty of people love McDonald's and Burger King and if that's your fancy please enjoy them.

I'm someone who prefers to use my available time to sample places that offer a golf experience of some distinction. The bulk of golf at Myrtle Beach is simply assembly line versions of design -- just get'em out and get'em in.

I can't speak to your golf tastes, but I know mine, and snobbery is far from it.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2003, 08:43:29 PM »
Matt,

Did you ever play the original 18 at Wachesaw Plantation?  I played it frequently when we vacationed on Pawley's pre-kids as my bank at the time financed it for Olin Mills.  

There are some solid holes there, IMHO.  I always like the short par four dell hole on the back nine.  

Please stay out of Tennessee.  We don't need the bad pub ;)

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

david h. carroll

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2003, 09:33:10 PM »
I love the Myrtle area.  Grew up vaca'ing there with one set of g'parents and continue to go there.  However, the othe rset of g'parents live in Sea Pines and built there very early (1970) so i got to see both ends of the spectrum.  To that end, for the daily fee/public joints, both MB and HHI are the land of 5+ hour rounds.  My best advice at MB is to get a pre 7:30 am time.  There are plenty of very good places and again, lots of FUN golf.  

Rjunah-that's too bad re: Marsh Harbour and I think I know the circumstances behind that...the operator was under a long term lease and it just ran out.  The onwer of the Marsh Harbour land is Willaimson properties which also owns Angel's Trace, the Pearl, Ocean Isle Beach GC and Ocean Harbour (which has also been closed for years and which I thought was fantastic).  It's just a shame...I always felt the best bermuda greens in the world much less the MB vicinity were at Marsh Harbour--especially in light of all the course in MB that try to grow bent ;)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2003, 10:35:00 PM »
Matt - Well, did we strike a nerve, or what? You obviously thought my post was about you... which it wasn't. However, your reaction is exactly what I would have expected from someone who felt personally touched by my comment. If you don't think the shoe fits, don't try it on. If you're not a "rater snob" then there is absolutely no reason for you to defend your virtue.

I'm happy you have been given the opportunity to sample the golf venues "of distinction." Sharing how you have crawled out of the muni gutter and made something of yourself warms the cockels (Gamecockels?) of my heart. And, to think you actually come down from the clouds and reconnect with the common man every now and then, just to stay in touch with your roots... I'm sure the muni boys bask in the glow!

You're correct, I do enjoy McDonalds and Burger King. I also enjoy Kobe beef burgers. But, just because I have an appreciation for Kobe beef doesn't mean I go around telling people how great Kobe beef tastes and that, "I never have a burger unless it is one of distinction." That might come across a bit pretentious, don't you think?

If the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn't, move on.

Are you from South Carolina or just one of those Jersey boys who came down for the cheap education?

Finally, what's your take on the Clemson/USC game this Saturday. Interested in a small wager?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 10:42:00 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2003, 10:59:36 PM »
Finally, what's your take on the Clemson/USC game this Saturday. Interested in a small wager?

Michael,

Now you are getting into touchy subjects to be handling on a forum like this.  I cant wait to hear what Matt has to say about this.

I have found some jewels down there at the beach, as mentioned above.  I would also add the newer Grande Dunes as having some good holes.  Also Dye course at Barefoot.

Unfortunately for me (and most people) when I go down with a group of customers every January we are playing the other end of the food chain.  I have seen some interesting architectural items.

Of course no discussion of Myrtle Beach would be complete without a plug for my favorite watering hole "Suck, Bang, & Blow" the biker bar.  Undeniably the best T-shirt souviner you can get.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2003, 11:00:55 PM »
You can tell I am not at home tonight.  On the road from a hotel the only time I have had enough free time to get online and post in sometime.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2003, 11:48:50 PM »
Daryl,

Just trying to keep it real... you know what I mean?

You have got to promise to take me to the "Suck, Bang and Blow." I've read your previous comments about the place, but never had the chance to visit. I'll make you a deal... take me to SB&B and I'll take you to Hoskin's for the best seafood platter you've ever had in your life (not to mention the best homemade burgers you've ever eaten).

highland_foxtrot

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2003, 12:02:02 AM »
It doesn't pretend to be Kiawah Resort or Pebble Beach (the Kiawah Island of the West Coast)

Somehow I think that referring to Pebble Beach as the Kianwah Island of the West Coast is a little brain fart on your part.  Shouldn't it be that Kiawah Island is the Pebble Beach of the East Coast?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back