News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Re: Does Charleston now have the best Muni in the United States???
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2021, 07:28:55 AM »
The revival of these muny courses is an inspiration for public golf | Courses | Golf Digest

GD giving some love to the recent efforts of various public tracks.

Sharp Park in SF
Corica Park in SF
Charleston Muni
Belmont in Richmond
City Park in Denver
Papago in Phoenix
Cobbs Creek in Philly
NLT in DC
Bobby Jones GC in Atlanta

So great to show evidence to other communities the creativity needed to get a public golf course back on track.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2021, 09:15:05 AM »
I could split time between CT and SC, have Keney Park and Muni as my home courses and live happily ever after.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

PCCraig

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2021, 03:27:33 PM »
Since there are three munis that have hosted The US Open in recent years, I don't think Charleston has much of a bid for the top.

I'm not sure I would use the USGA as a barometer for architectural and cultural excellence. 

Is Torrey Pines more enjoyable to play or more interesting because it just hosted a US Open?
H.P.S.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2021, 09:18:03 AM »
Since there are three munis that have hosted The US Open in recent years, I don't think Charleston has much of a bid for the top.

I'm not sure I would use the USGA as a barometer for architectural and cultural excellence. 

Is Torrey Pines more enjoyable to play or more interesting because it just hosted a US Open?

Just picked US Open, because it is an obvious classification. All three (plus other munis) make Golf's top 100 public, whereas Charleston does not.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 09:21:22 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Madison

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2021, 08:29:56 AM »
My wife and I played this past weekend and really loved it. The course had the most intense set of template greens I've ever played, with a number of small, sharp movements. For example, where two of the corners of the redan green meet at straight lines, the front right corner has its two sides meeting at much tighter than a 90 degree angle and the opposite corner at the other side of the green met at an exceptionally tight angle as well. Just something I've never seen before and thought it was pretty neat.

Bigger picture is that this course demonstrates that you can create affordable, compelling, fun golf for all levels of players on fairly plain land with a minimum of dirt moving and total absence of country club style grooming as long as you have firm ground where the ball will run a bit, and a skilled designer who know how to build interesting greens and surrounds and then work backwards towards the tees in order to create some basic strategic opportunities.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2021, 08:43:32 AM »
I stopped out there for an hour the weekend before last and walked the back nine.  The course was absolutely packed with golfers, and also a junior tournament.

I was amazed how low to the ground many fairways were - only 2-3 feet above the water level of the marsh it seemed.

The greens are cool, and quite a bit smaller than anything new I’ve seen lately.  Love the idea, but I wonder if they are big enough to stand up to all the traffic here.

Troy Miller

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2021, 10:25:01 AM »
I stopped out there for an hour the weekend before last and walked the back nine.  The course was absolutely packed with golfers, and also a junior tournament.

I was amazed how low to the ground many fairways were - only 2-3 feet above the water level of the marsh it seemed.

The greens are cool, and quite a bit smaller than anything new I’ve seen lately.  Love the idea, but I wonder if they are big enough to stand up to all the traffic here.

Tom, Glad you got a chance to see it - I've been amazed at how well they have held up to date, likely due to their newness and the firmness associated with. I only hope they will be able to retain the firmness long term. 

The course has done upwards of 60,000 rounds since opening in December of last year. 

The scale of the place didn't really lend itself to greens much bigger, though there are some places I wish they were. 

As far as the elevation is concerned, we tend to deal in tenths of feet around here, rather than tens of feet, with a constant eye on the tide chart. 

Bill Crane

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2021, 01:30:55 PM »
Rock Spring in NJ is very good.   Seth Raynor design - former private club.

Lots of very interesting holes.

I had a good round there about 3 weeks ago, slightly hilly, and I was the ONLY  player on the course that I saw walking.

I think this may be the best muni in NJ and the second best public course after Atlantic City CC.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back