News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Sweet

More “meh” poll
« on: September 02, 2021, 06:00:32 PM »
Course that is more meh on TV…
Meh in this is bland, uninspiring, and ho hum as it gets.
East Lake or Torrey Pines
But MuH oCeAn ViEwS doesn’t apply

jeffwarne

Re: More “meh” poll
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 10:36:45 PM »
I never found TP "meh" on TV at all.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Leahy

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 01:37:09 AM »
I never found TP "meh" on TV at all.
+1 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Steve Kline

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 05:26:02 AM »
I find them both meh, but I think East Lake more so because it seems very monocrhomatic to me. All the grass is too close to the same color and everything blurs together.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 01:29:32 PM »
East Lake is like a Nicklaus course without the pizazz.

Torrey South is in the pantheon of lost opportunities . . . . . I'll take the North every time.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 03:05:18 PM »
Funny...

I was just thinking about this exact thing as I tuned in.  The golf is terrific, but as a venue and/or course watching its way down the list for me.... 4/5 'meh's

I hope its far more interesting to actually play...

P.S.  Not a big fan of Torrey either but not sure if there is another course on tour that just begs for drone footage..

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 03:48:48 PM »
East Lake is like a Nicklaus course without the pizazz.

Torrey South is in the pantheon of lost opportunities . . . . . I'll take the North every time.

I don't think, or know if I would disagree if I had played TP, BUT this is one case where having NOT played it makes me more qualified to opine on whether a course comes across "Meh" on TV.
Someone who has played it is prejudiced by what's actually on the ground.

Even a "missed opportunity" (if TP is one), can come across good on TV, and I always enjoy the setting and even the holes (on TV).

I have been on the grounds to buy a hat a couple of times and parked out by the hang gliders overlooking the ocean and the course-so I may be disqualified.....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 07:35:25 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 05:14:02 PM »
The course I always thought was the blandest on TV was the one in Michigan where they played the Buick "Classic" for several years.  Back and forth layout together with uninspired greens and bunkers, at least on TV.

Hate to say it, but I know a lot of folks who would name many Open Courses, including St. Andrews as looking pretty blah on TV, so blah, that they have no desire to go over and play there.  And, they have that old quote about Sam Snead thinking it was an abandoned course when he first saw it to back up their opinion. ::)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 06:47:19 PM »
Count me as one who really likes East Lake. What you don’t see in TV is the terrain. It is built on a great piece of land with some good elevation changes. It reminds me of Scioto in some ways.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Matt MacIver

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 08:51:46 PM »
Scottsdale. 16th stadium tries to make up for it but I do like that it’s Super Bowl weekend and helps with hype.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2021, 03:11:26 AM »

Hate to say it, but I know a lot of folks who would name many Open Courses, including St. Andrews as looking pretty blah on TV, so blah, that they have no desire to go over and play there.  And, they have that old quote about Sam Snead thinking it was an abandoned course when he first saw it to back up their opinion. ::)
Blasphemy! :o
I think it has something to do with this.

When they are thinking this is what is beautiful golf is.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 03:14:38 AM by Jeff Schley »
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 12:57:21 PM »
Kalen,

I have been playing Torrey Pines off & on since I was 13 years old . . . . that is 48 years. There are only 4-5 holes out there that inspire me - and at least 8-9 ugly, intellectually vapid wastes of time.

And #18 is just an ugly duck . . . . .

The land is fantastic - in the same way Sandpiper (Goleta, CA) just shrieks for somebody to come and set things right. If I were maximum Vice Emperor (Tommy N. is the real Emperor), I would blow up both of them and start over.

Or just get Eckenrode over there - if either one comes out half as good as Barona Creek, you'd really have something.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 09:41:52 PM by Gib Papazian »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2021, 03:25:11 PM »
Both courses are more interesting than that Midwestern mess hosting the Solheim.

Jon Sweet

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2021, 09:08:17 PM »
Both courses are more interesting than that Midwestern mess hosting the Solheim.
My goodness. What a take. I’ll have to strongly disagree. Inverness jumps off the screen to me as somewhere I’d want to play. Torrey and East Lake look as blah as it gets.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2021, 09:14:23 PM »
My goodness. What a take. I’ll have to strongly disagree. Inverness jumps off the screen to me as somewhere I’d want to play. Torrey and East Lake look as blah as it gets.

In the interest of architecture. Why?

Jon Sweet

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 12:41:11 PM »

In the interest of architecture. Why?
Inverness has holes going both directions cross bunkers interesting green complexes run offs blends of fairways straight into the greens and bunkering that actually grabs your eye. That’s just the front 9. Torrey just has about 5 dog leg rights 2 straight holes and two long 3s. Meh. East Lake looks about like any other ho hum club anywhere else. Not much character hole to hole and just big bland greens. Just my opinion but I’d say Inverness, East Lake, Torrey a distant third. There’d be about a mile between Inverness and East Lake in terms of just interesting and fun to play, Torrey would be way after East lake.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 01:03:12 PM »
Funny. I would put Torrey Pines in the top 25 government owned properties in the country that have improved my life. ie: Golden Gate Bridge is top 10.

Jon Sweet

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2021, 07:50:34 AM »
Funny. I would put Torrey Pines in the top 25 government owned properties in the country that have improved my life. ie: Golden Gate Bridge is top 10.
I loved the golden gate bridge in the newer planet of the apes movie with James Franco.
Played Pasa while I was there.
I believe Alcatraz is govt owned and that was a billion times better than Torrey.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2021, 01:57:20 AM »
I loved the golden gate bridge in the newer planet of the apes movie with James Franco.
I believe Alcatraz is govt owned and that was a billion times better than Torrey.
Have you even visited Alcatraz, because I know you haven't played Torrey. ???
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2021, 01:18:11 PM »
Have you even visited Alcatraz, because I know you haven't played Torrey. ???

I have twice and I've seen Torrey up close twice.  And Alcatraz would win 10-0 on the GCA scale.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2021, 03:13:11 PM »

I’ve been to both and I would take Torrey everyday of the week. Probably only the 2nd time I agree with my Liberal left coast friend Tim ;D
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim Leahy

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2021, 07:27:40 PM »

I’ve been to both and I would take Torrey everyday of the week. Probably only the 2nd time I agree with my Liberal left coast friend Tim ;D
Rep Rob,
I will be sure to include you in my in my celebration Wed. after your recall fails. 8)

Rob Marshall

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2021, 08:19:11 PM »
Not my recall, my governor resigned.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2021, 08:02:56 AM »
Too bad you don't live in Texass. ::)

Rob Marshall

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2021, 04:01:19 PM »
Too bad you don't live in Texass. ::)

Tim, I think if we actually talked you would find I'm a lot more centered than you think.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back