News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

New Jersey Turnpike
« on: August 26, 2021, 03:48:19 PM »
We will be traveling down it from NYC Labor Day week. Any recommended public options not too far off of it?

Thanks,

Ira

Tom_Doak

Re: New Jersey Turnpike
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 04:06:54 PM »
I just read a note on golf.com that Rory McIlroy threw his driver 3-wood into the border of the NJ Turnpike from the 9th tee at Liberty National on Monday, his last hole of the tournament.  So you might look for that!

Don't know what the best public option is in that stretch.  Charles Banks' course at Forsgate is right off the Turnpike, exit 8A, IIRC.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 04:57:38 PM by Tom_Doak »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 04:08:30 PM »
Just make sure you count the cars, cos they’ve all come to look for America.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 04:27:35 PM »
Ira- If you take the Garden State Parkway I think you have more options. Rock Spring, Francis Byrne, Knoll West, and Hendricks Field are all Charles Banks public options in Essex County.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 04:40:12 PM »
I recall being pleasantly surprised by Cranbury Golf Club a few years back. Played it because it was cheap and not too far from a client I was visiting. I teed off at dawn and was onsite with my customer by 8a. Shorter par 70 with 6 par 3s. Interesting terrain, greens with pretty fierce slopes in spots, a nice variety of holes. Surely not among the best publics in NJ, and surely someone will mention something more worthwhile, but it stands out as one of my all-time more pleasant surprises and I'd happily return.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 04:48:49 PM »
Forsgate is my pick.

See the source image
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Cal Seifert

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 04:57:59 PM »
Forsgate takes tee times through the boxgroove website. Though I am not sure which course it is for since they have 36 holes and it does not clarify.

David Federman

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 05:37:33 PM »
Hominy Hill, Howell Park, Charleston Springs - all Monmouth County public courses - excellent

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 08:22:13 PM »
Ira, the answer you are looking for is Suneagles in Eatontown down towards the shore. An old tilly w greens as steep as you ever seen.

Foresgate is not public. It may have just changed hands though.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 11:16:28 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 01:50:16 AM »
"Hominy Hill, Howell Park, Charleston Springs - all Monmouth County public courses - excellent"

Yes, except the NJ Turnpike does not go thru Monmouth County. :)

JMEvensky

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2021, 05:49:31 AM »

F.

Thanks for the ear worm.  :)  Great tune but couldn't you have quoted the Jupiter Symphony?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 05:52:05 AM by JMEvensky »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2021, 06:47:17 AM »
Ira,
Play Suneagles if you can. I did a Master Plan and a lot of work on the course years ago before all the changes with the military base ownership.  We never got to finish everything which was sad.  You will see a lot of Tillinghast (1926 design that we confirmed) in the course but there was a lot that had been changed before I got there.  It is an interesting study and worth seeing. 

The course I just played that I raved about was Hollywood but it is private.  Tom Doak’s team (Brian Schneider) did an amazing job there bringing back all the Travis features that had been lost.  Top of the list if you can get on.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2021, 07:21:52 AM »

F.

Thanks for the ear worm.  :)  Great tune but couldn't you have quoted the Jupiter Symphony?

;D
I'm fairly sure Mozart was never on the New Jersey Turnpike!
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2021, 08:16:21 AM »
F.
:):):):)
atb

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2021, 08:45:46 AM »
Springdale Golf Club is in Princeton, west of the Turnpike. A William Flynn course that is private, but a good contact with someone at Princeton U. might get you access.

https://www.springdalegc.org/ 

Bernie Bell

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2021, 09:11:49 AM »
Ira, I've been meaning to stop off at Rock Manor in Wilmington but haven't yet.  I like Wyncote in PA - not directly off 95 but probably would only add 20 miles to your trip.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2021, 10:39:13 AM »
Regardless of golf, enjoy the drive.  I remember the NJ turnpike being used as an exemplar of highway design in my landscape architecture curricula.  Instead of being two long straight roads, it fits the topography with gentle curves, either side of the road separating from the other to save trees in between, etc.  It is sort of the highway equivalent of gca's "using the land" in an artistic way.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Eric LeFante

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2021, 11:12:18 AM »
"Hominy Hill, Howell Park, Charleston Springs - all Monmouth County public courses - excellent"

Yes, except the NJ Turnpike does not go thru Monmouth County. :)

Fair point David, but Charleston Springs is 15 minutes off the turnpike. Both courses are good, but if I had to pick one I would go with South. 15 is a very difficult Cape and 17 is an uphill Redan.

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2021, 12:28:53 PM »
Eric -

I was born & raised in Long Branch, NJ, but have been gone for 50 years. I remember when Hominy Hill was a VERY private course owned by one guy. I did not know about the Charleston Springs 36-hole complex until just now.  Looks very impressive.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back