News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Re: Renovation plans for UNC Finley
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2021, 08:34:46 AM »
Will: When you come my way we will have to play Lonnie Poole and discuss its merits and faults.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2021, 09:16:22 AM »
Well, at least fixing the bunkers is some consolation. They are the reason my one play did not become more plays even though we live just across 54. 10 is not a good hole, but 11 is as you know.

Ira
Ira,

Within the group of guys that I play with, we talk about those bunkers all the time.  They are a paradox; quite possibly as well-placed as any set of bunkers on any course I've ever played.  But brutally penal, and with tongues that make outcomes completely random.  They are not only a problem for golfers, but also a true maintenance nightmare; the combination of extremely steep faces and very small unsloped areas in the bottom make hand-raking by the maintenance crew manadatory; few allow a Sand Pro to be used.

Add to that the sad fact that the Athletic Department won't allow overtime, which means no syringing of the bent grass, which, in turn, means that all the watering has to be done overhead by the sprinkler system.  Consequently, the greenside bunkers are pretty much always wet sand.  And they are showing their age now, too, with liners sticking up, especially on the faces.

It isn't bad advice anywhere, but at Finley if you can play 18 holes without ever visiting a bunker, you have a great shot at a good round.  There is one par four or five on the course without a fairway bunker (#4), and most are at least a full shot penalty.  And in the greenside bunkers, if you have a stance and a full swing, you've been truly fortunate.  Seeing those bunkers go away will be a happy moment for all, not unlike the 140 or so Fazio bunkers that were removed from Pinehurst #4. 

I write all of that knowing that some here will think it's just another whine by an entitled golfer; it isn't.

A.G. is not exaggerating. The bunkers at Finley are brutal. It otherwise is quite a good and fun course especially if you play from the right tees for your game.

Ira

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2021, 11:25:51 AM »
I also agree that 10 was/is a crap hole.  Nothing like a 420-yard dogleg par 4 (from one tee up from tips) where the bend in the dogleg is approximately 190 yards off the tee, leaving 230 in from there.  Little room to cut corner with trees on right side and bunkers on far side of dogleg.

As for starting off with a par 3, why can't they just leave the current #1 as starter and flip the nines for the tournaments?  If they don't try it at first, they might after if there are constant back-ups on the first hole.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2021, 03:34:43 PM »
I also agree that 10 was/is a crap hole.  Nothing like a 420-yard dogleg par 4 (from one tee up from tips) where the bend in the dogleg is approximately 190 yards off the tee, leaving 230 in from there.  Little room to cut corner with trees on right side and bunkers on far side of dogleg.

As for starting off with a par 3, why can't they just leave the current #1 as starter and flip the nines for the tournaments?  If they don't try it at first, they might after if there are constant back-ups on the first hole.

Scott,

I’m not sure of the logic beyond having the finishing hole near the proposed new building, which supposedly will have a restaurant on the lower floor.

But I suspect it might work the other way around for tournaments, simply for pace of play reasons?  9 and 18 would be equally good as finishing holes, I think, so starting tournament play on current #1 makes sense.

The irony of that discussion is that there are two weekends a year used for college tournaments; women in October and the men in March.  There are a ton of junior tournaments, but it’s pretty much only a practice venue for the college teams.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2021, 12:15:35 AM »
Jerry, i agree with you about Atlantic Dunes; in fact, I like all the Love courses that I’ve played. Kinderlou Forest is terrific though largely unknown, and IMO the Love course at Barefoot is easily the best of the four courses there.

I played the Love course at Barefoot a couple of months ago and didn't really enjoy it (I've played it before, but didn't remember much about it). I thought one nine was significantly better than the other, although I can't remember which right now. I suppose it's better than the Norman if only due to the encroachment of condos there, but I think the Dye course is easily the best of the four. I think I'd put Fazio at #2.

Interesting to hear about Finley. I haven't played there since I was a student at UNC (I made the only albatross of my golfing career out there), but I thought it was a decent course. Changing the greens to bermuda should be an overall improvement, and the bunkers certainly need work, but the other changes sound poorly thought out at best.

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2022, 10:49:47 AM »
Update: Course will close on October for the renovation work to start.  Was supposed to start in March but is now pushed back.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 06:20:58 PM by Amol Yajnik »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2022, 08:25:09 AM »
Update: Course will close on October for the renovation work to start.  Was supposed to start in March but is now pushed back.

You are correct. The Athletic Department is citing “supply chain” issues as the reason for the delay, and projects a full year shutdown until fall of ‘23. 

I have left Finley, so it won’t bother me, but I have come to believe that this will result in a much diminished golf course. The irony of it is that the whole project is intended to help the golf team, and the men are currently ranked second in the country. The men haven’t played an event at Finley in several years, and the women host one tournament a year there. 

And the delay and increased costs will likely drive up the price of the project from $18m to something much higher.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back