News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

YOK 7 in Kirtland (aka Kirtland Country Club)
« on: August 15, 2021, 10:08:01 AM »
It was after this final? round that I considered that I had not played a fine club with twin holes at 1 and 18. I've posted the approach to both holes below, as images 1 and 11, to attempt to sway the jury. Both holes have a right to left swing to them. Both holes have a large hazard on the inside (left) corner.) Both holes play to a massive, front-right-bunker-protected, slightly-elevated green that is no easy three-putt (a two putt is strong; a one-putt is the stuff of deities.) I drove the ball well on both holes, but chickened out on my approach shots. You have to commit to all of your incoming shots to greens, or you'll end up in dire straits.

This was a fitting way to end our journey but, as the question mark after word five above suggests, there may be one more YOK to share.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 11:37:59 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Anthony Gholz

Re: YOK 7 in Kirtland
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 11:53:29 AM »
Ron: 

I'm not sure of the discussion point (is having similar 1 and 18 routings and design challenges good or bad?), but thanks for posting these photos of a fine Alison course. 

Anthony

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 12:05:52 PM »
Ron

For the uninitiated, what does YOK 7 refer to ?

Niall

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 12:31:25 PM »
Ron

For the uninitiated, what does YOK 7 refer to ?

Niall

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 04:42:25 PM »
YOK1 | YOK2 | YOK3 | YOK4 | YOK5 | YOK6

1. YOK stands for Year Of Kevin. When I turned 50 in 2015, Kevin Lynch treated me to a week in Bandon as a going-away party to my yute. He turned 50 in 2020 but we were unable to travel. We had planned for a trip to Philly (postponed) but wanted to change that up a bit, so we went midwest. I think it's a Seinfeld reference, as in the Year of George.

2. I don't think that the twin 1 & 18 notion is flaw nor perquisite. It simply was the first time I've recognized it. Perhaps it deserves a thread of its own. They aren't identical; the tee ball on 18 is blind to the landing area, while on 1, you see it all before you. Nearly every other playing characteristic is eerily similar, tho.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Drew Harvie

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 09:01:19 PM »
I didn't really notice similarities between Kirtland's 1st & 18th. The tee shot at 1 is inviting and wide, while 18 feels extremely climatic (as it should) and is blind up the hill. I guess they both dogleg left with a bunker on the right greenside.

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 10:47:39 AM »
I never noticed any similarities between 1 and 18 at Kirtland. The thought never crossed my mind.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 09:39:08 PM »
Drew and BH: overall flow of hole, direction (which means wind and sun) wide, tilted, hard-to-lag greens. Those are some of the connections I made.

And, the two holes both have trouble left, off the tee.

On 1, I hit a rotten approach, then pitched low left to a high right hole location. I looked at the putt and tried to figure out how I was going to map a route. Three putts later, opening double and away we go.

When I saw the approach to 18, I recalled my opening flubs and resolved to do better. My approach hit the green, my lag was better, and I made it home in two putts.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 09:54:20 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 09:05:32 AM »
I have also never made the connection between the 1st and 18th at Kirtland...but I will be sure to check it out next time I'm there!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Ronald Montesano

Re: YOK 7 in Kirtland (aka Kirtland Country Club) New
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 11:50:44 AM »
This was the course that I anticipated most. I've driven from Cleveland to Buffalo so many times, and seen where Kirtland is, beyond the trees. It did not disappoint.

How so? Well, if you must know, I did read Ran's CBC profile (fourth tab from left at top) on the course, and desperately wanted to see another Alison design.

How would I describe this place? Like this: Watch me tilt the greens and let that make them special. Watch me toss you, to and fro, over the upper portion of the course, and give you a diabolical hole to finish that nine. ONLY THEN will I descend into the enchanted dingle/dale/basin/glen (take your pick) and make you drool with every shot and a view of each approaching hole.

My guy is a Buffalo ex-pat, and he looked at every club in metro Cleveland (and he could have had them all) and he chose Kirtland. He is a plus handicap, has played USGA events, and puts on a stripe show just for gits and shiggles.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 07:01:14 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back