News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

John Kavanaugh

Re: "Why golf's toughest job is growing harder"
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 03:51:42 PM »
Those of us who have been blessed to work outside ain’t bitching. Or are they?

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 04:23:49 PM »
It would be the best job in the world if not for the golfers.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 04:52:44 PM »

John Emerson

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 06:29:10 PM »

To piggy back off Tom. 

All superintendents…”the best golf course in the world is one without golfers” :)
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 06:46:18 PM »
I played Robin Hiseman’s Czech Casa Serena course in 2010 for the media day of the Euro senior tour event it was hosting.

This is a course on the grounds of a 17th Century chateau painstakingly renovated by the owners of the Chinese technology company Foxcon. They fancied a golf course to play when they were staying there, so they hired EGD to build them one.

Suffice to say, this course might get less play than anything other than Gwest.

After the round, Robin, Adam Lawrence and I played an extra nine with the super and one of his crew. I remember them in the same breath as they enthused about how amazing it was to be able to maintain such an impeccable course, lamenting the futility they sometimes felt in their mission.

I can understand the crew at a course that does 40,000 rounds a year lamenting the issues of so much play just as I can imagine mowing a green that no one has played on since you last mowed it maybe lacking some purpose.

Ultimately, humans are programmed for problem-solving. So whatever situation we find ourselves in, if we can’t find an immediate problem to identify and solve, our brains will create one for us.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 07:41:03 PM »
I have only respect for supers. Many places they are asked to work miracles with a small crew and low budget. Other places they have huge budgets and huge expectations.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 09:40:30 PM »
I have only respect for supers. Many places they are asked to work miracles with a small crew and low budget. Other places they have huge budgets and huge expectations.

I think one of the overlooked challenges among maintenance crews is access. Your budget is irrelevant if you have 200 golfers on the tee sheet. It's a huge rush to get the course set up, then maybe a rushed second job just ahead of play, then a bunch of busy work once play gets all the way around. No one wants to work split shifts or 5-6 hour shifts (thus missing out on hours) which would be optimal.

--Harry Vardon

Dave McCollum

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 10:32:43 PM »
Thanks for posting, David.  I don't recall ever reading a more spot on golf course article.  I had my BS antennae elevated for every sentence and the buzzer never went off.  I'm not a Brad Klein fanboy, although I think I've read most of his books and journalism.  I think I'll reconsider.  That was great about an obscure topic.  And, BTW, the next time I'm in your corner of the woods. could we have a drink or a round, whatever is appropriate for for geezers like us.  I'd still like to play that Lincoln place.  Maybe with my son, or one of yours, who doesn't know shit about golf, but can hit an 8 iron 185.    [size=78%]       [/size]

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2021, 10:41:40 PM »
Do you guys realize that this is an article about how difficult the pandemic was on golf course superintendents?

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2021, 11:24:53 PM »
Do you guys realize that this is an article about how difficult the pandemic was on golf course superintendents?

That's a terrible summary of what the article is actually about. Read it again please.

--Harry Vardon

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2021, 06:31:58 AM »

To piggy back off Tom. 

All superintendents…”the best golf course in the world is one without golfers” :)

But then we'd bitch that we're bored as nothing is getting messed up, so theres no challenges.
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2021, 02:44:30 PM »

That's a terrible summary of what the article is actually about. Read it again please.

Tom,

I initially thought this was JK trolling again, but then I read the article after seeing your post, and what did he miss?

It was a very difficult job before...and got crazy tough with the pandemic for a variety of reasons, that I won't regurgitate here.

So what did I miss?

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2021, 03:55:56 PM »

Tom,

I initially thought this was JK trolling again, but then I read the article after seeing your post, and what did he miss?

It was a very difficult job before...and got crazy tough with the pandemic for a variety of reasons, that I won't regurgitate here.

So what did I miss?

I felt the gist of the article is that COVID is just another layer on top of other structural issues. Anyway, the comment seemed like a drive-by troll job, thus my reaction.

--Harry Vardon

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2021, 03:59:09 PM »
Kalen and Tom,

If I was trolling I would have mentioned the 600,000 lives that have been lost in the pandemic. Or the millions of occupations and businesses that may never return. If I was trolling I would have asked what if the worm was turned. If the virus forced people indoors instead of outdoors. Golf was strictly forbidden just like restaurants and movie theaters. Where would golf superintendents be then? Not reading Chef Boyardee whining because he might have to work 150 days this year.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2021, 04:48:17 PM »
Kalen and Tom,

If I was trolling I would have mentioned the 600,000 lives that have been lost in the pandemic. Or the millions of occupations and businesses that may never return. If I was trolling I would have asked what if the worm was turned. If the virus forced people indoors instead of outdoors. Golf was strictly forbidden just like restaurants and movie theaters. Where would golf superintendents be then? Not reading Chef Boyardee whining because he might have to work 150 days this year.

Your concerns regarding the pandemic are valid, but I'm not sure why you had to drag Chef Boyardee into this. He's done absolutely nothing wrong. He's also a heck of a guy, a 4 handicap who prefers off-the-radar, untarnished northeastern Ross courses.

--Harry Vardon

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2021, 04:55:39 PM »
Boiardi was a real chef who didn’t whine when he had to run his factory 24hrs a day during WWII.

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 09:32:59 AM »
Boiardi was a real chef who didn’t whine when he had to run his factory 24hrs a day during WWII.

and sold his business for the equivalent of $85 million after the War ended.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back