News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

Re: Merion and Oakmont - Long-Term USGA Relationship Thread
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2021, 09:33:53 PM »

In some ways this is a sobering list. I might not be around after the 2038 Open. Someone will have to let me know who wins.

Saw the list and thought the same thing--after not too many years, it really won't matter to me.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2021, 11:58:38 PM »

* I really look forward to Mike Whan taking the reigns in Far Hills. Other than the abnormal conditioning issues at his new-found Hamilton Farms home...

Explain.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Steve Lapper

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2021, 06:31:05 AM »

* I really look forward to Mike Whan taking the reigns in Far Hills. Other than the abnormal conditioning issues at his new-found Hamilton Farms home...

Explain.

No....it more than speaks for itself.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 06:35:58 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2021, 01:24:11 PM »
I'm still holding out hope for Butler and Congressional to get on the rota!  ::)   ;D

P.S.  I know this has been discussed before, but assuming they did massive clearing at Pine Valley to restore it to what it once was, and figure out transportation logistics, could it host the US Open?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2021, 10:40:18 AM »
I think that you will see Oak Hill East back on the list quite soon.

I believe that the USGA and PGA of America work in concert. They certainly hold quiet summits, where they discuss which course the other wants. Each has a different direction and purpose. It is in the interest of the PGAoA to continue the growth of the game through its professionals, so that it would take up the muni/true public access torch makes sense.

No matter what we treehousers think of potential sites, money and influence decide the day. Inverness and Oakland Hills WILL both host an Open, should they want it. Olympia Fields seems less likely to do so, unless the M & I mentioned above are in place.

My dark horse muni to make an appearance is George Wright in Boston. Work continues to be done there, but as I've never seen the space, others will have to speak to its potential.

My dark horse, public-access, course is not yet a course. I don't think that the USGA has given up on the Erin Hills-style experiment quite yet. After all, the PGA is slated to be played at the unbuilt, Gil Hanse course in Texas. If pride matters, the USGA will want to pull off a similar stunt.

The USGA might think that $400 is chump change, and that Pebble and The Dos are true public access. Some of you might feel the same way. Most do not.

HAS ANYONE answered the question about Merion having more room, other than the "buy up all the houses" notion?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Blain

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2021, 10:59:45 AM »
I think that you will see Oak Hill East back on the list quite soon.

I believe that the USGA and PGA of America work in concert. They certainly hold quiet summits, where they discuss which course the other wants. Each has a different direction and purpose. It is in the interest of the PGAoA to continue the growth of the game through its professionals, so that it would take up the muni/true public access torch makes sense.

No matter what we treehousers think of potential sites, money and influence decide the day. Inverness and Oakland Hills WILL both host an Open, should they want it. Olympia Fields seems less likely to do so, unless the M & I mentioned above are in place.

My dark horse muni to make an appearance is George Wright in Boston. Work continues to be done there, but as I've never seen the space, others will have to speak to its potential.

My dark horse, public-access, course is not yet a course. I don't think that the USGA has given up on the Erin Hills-style experiment quite yet. After all, the PGA is slated to be played at the unbuilt, Gil Hanse course in Texas. If pride matters, the USGA will want to pull off a similar stunt.

The USGA might think that $400 is chump change, and that Pebble and The Dos are true public access. Some of you might feel the same way. Most do not.

HAS ANYONE answered the question about Merion having more room, other than the "buy up all the houses" notion?
I'm willing to bet a significant amount of money that neither Oak Hill or Inverness will ever get another US Open. The Rochester and Toledo markets are both too small for starters and in the case of Oak Hill if you get a cold and rainy spring the course will play too soft even as late as the second or third week in June. Both of those clubs will continue to host significant events but not a US Open.
Oakland Hills on the other will probably get one in the next 10-15 years. Detroit is a major market, the recent restoration is getting rave reviews and the USGA needs someplace in the Midwest. Oakland Hills checks a lot of boxes. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2021, 07:45:18 PM »

Focused on the golf, there is only room to go back on:

• 7 - public road
  • 10 - houses
  • 11 - public road, and not sure you could squeeze a tee left of #1 fairway
  • 12 - houses
  • 13 - public road
  • 14 - they took that back pretty far, maybe...
  • 16 - smaller public road, then houses
  • 18 - range
Then there is the commercial element of space for tents, and how to connect The West...

I doubt there is any penalty to the USGA if they cancel 2050, but I actually took this as "maybe they (USGA) will deal with distance". Human beings will evolve, so they really have to roll back distance if this announcement has any integrity...
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jeff Schley

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2021, 02:43:36 AM »
So now another natural question to ponder is now that the USGA is peeing around what they want to be their territory, with the PGA respond and do the same? Certainly the Ryder Cup is a jewel more valuable than a US Open to leverage as well. While they have announced the PGA Frisco course to be an "anchor site" for the future, will they expand that to other venues? We know they won't be using Oakmont, Merion, Pinehurst, Pebble Beach, Torrey Pines most likely. What other venues do some in the know think they will align with?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matthew Rose

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2021, 08:31:48 AM »
Has Merion ever had a Senior Open? Seems like an ideal venue IMO.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

John Blain

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2021, 12:17:36 PM »
Merion has never hosted the USGA Senior Open but I agree it would be a good site for that championship. In fact probably a better fit for the Senior Open than the US Open.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2021, 06:08:49 PM »
Merion has never hosted the USGA Senior Open but I agree it would be a good site for that championship. In fact probably a better fit for the Senior Open than the US Open.

Too hard of a course and too hard of a walk for the Men’s Senior Tour, there would be a mutiny.   However the senior women would probably welcome the invite.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back