News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Worst strategic ideas you have heard from golfers?
« on: August 05, 2021, 05:51:15 PM »
Tagging on the Marty Bonnar's thread on oft repeated course reviews, I think of similar things I have heard from golfers on what makes for a great strategic course (or a bad one)

I played one of my courses the other day with a buff, and relayed the story about the golf pro asking about the 9th hole....
"So you put water left on the tee shot, which tells me to play right, but then, I have to come over a bunker from that angle, and a tree if I am a bit more off line.  Shouldn't you have opened up the green from the safe side of the fw?"

Or, another classic I have relayed here, "I think it should be just as easy to reach the green on a par 5 in two shots from the fw bunker as it is from the middle of the fw, don't you?" 

Another variant from an interview at a private club (unsuccessful for me, LOL) "Don't you think I should have just as good a lie if I hit it into the woods as if I'm in the middle of the fw?"

Those three comments alone were enough to cement one of my sales codicils...don't tell the whole truth until after you have secured the project...dammit!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Peter Pallotta

Re: Worst strategic ideas you have heard from golfers?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 06:35:49 PM »
I once had the idea (and might have even said it out loud) that flat/contour-less greens tilted back to front were the most strategic of all, and of the purest kind. I don't now remember the background to/thinking behind that idea, but it must've seemed very compelling to me at the time.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 06:47:04 PM »
"If I'm on the green, I should always be able to two-putt!"

Sorry, couldn't resist!  ;D

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 06:47:26 PM »
A friend of mine at the club - a "billionaire with a B" - dismissed R.T. Jones Sr's Mauna Kea as a "strategic and aesthetic piece of shit" - and once tried to buy it and let Tom Fazio turn it into "a legitimate golf course, not an exercise in architectural self indulgence."

Walking down the 10th fairway on the Lake Course, we agreed to disagree.

But when my daughter asked if I thought applying to Brown University was a good idea (he went there), that conversation was my first thought.

She eventually graduated summa cum laude from Dad's beloved university . . . . . and thankfully, Mauna Kea still stands, mostly intact.   
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 09:26:13 PM by Gib Papazian »

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 07:40:24 PM »
(As I'm not an architect I can only guess at these.) Do any of these make the list(s)?
  • "I should be able to hit driver on every par four or par five tee."
  • "I should have a flat lie in the fairway."
  • "Par fives should have a good layup area at about 100 yards where everyone lays up."
  • "Equality"! (What I mean by this is "the number of doglegs left should match the number right" or "the number of bunkers left should match the number of bunkers right" or whatever).
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 08:09:34 PM »
This one from a British Open runner-up
''Royal Melbourne would be a much better course is they narrowed the fairways and grew the rough"

Not that we need any more proof, but it's another example of a really good golfer not knowing anything about golf. (He's a friend of mine and I think I've disagreed with just about every opinion he's had on golf courses - for 40 years)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 08:14:22 PM »
Relief for divot.
Bring back the stymie.
Eliminate Stroke and Distance.

Oh. You mean golf architecture.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Brad Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 09:40:36 PM »
I overheard someone on the patio say that most of the putts on this golf course break to the right.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 10:19:21 PM »
Bring back the stymie.

I like the stymie if match play is the primary form of competition.

I've heard a variation of the following many times:
Who's the idiot that put a bunker here.  I always end up in it.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 12:19:43 AM »
A buddy tonight griped as his short sided pitch ran past the hole (our parkland course has been ruthlessly fast and firm lately) about how you shouldn’t have to land the ball in the rough to get it close...
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2021, 06:36:23 AM »
“We never play ‘winter rules’ but if we get a bad lie we roll it over.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2021, 08:50:27 AM »
Covid bunker options (place on a good lie or drop out of the bunker with no penalty) should be made permanent and written into the Rule book, after all, the bunker rake is now obsolete and clubs can't find enough workers to hire.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 09:21:10 AM »
In support of flattening the 15th a Lancaster:

"Why should we care what William Flynn was thinking 100 years ago. It's our course, we can do whatever we want. If these greens didn't have so much slope in them, I would have been better at putting the greens we played (on a particular elite circuit)."

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 09:26:44 AM »
My host at Pine Valley graciously allowed me to bring a couple friends. After the round one of them, a low handicapper, said, "I don't think the course is so great. You get too many bad lies if you are off the fairway."

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 09:36:49 AM »
   Our 18th hole plays as a 480 yard par 4 from the “tips,” and a 530 yard par 5 from the “whites.”  Last week, the super put the white tees at the 480 spot.  My partner, a good player, asked, “are they playing this as a par 4 or par 5 today?”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 09:46:54 AM »
The only response to any of these comments is:

“Is it unreasonable to expect an expert golfer to make par from *insert situation here*.”

That usually shuts it down.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 10:22:36 AM »
   Our 18th hole plays as a 480 yard par 4 from the “tips,” and a 530 yard par 5 from the “whites.”  Last week, the super put the white tees at the 480 spot.  My partner, a good player, asked, “are they playing this as a par 4 or par 5 today?”

This... seems like a fair question, at least if you're playing any sort of mixed-tee competition with strokes getting allocated. Which I get probably wasn't the case, but it's not exactly an unconfusing way of setting up the tees either on a daily basis or on this particular day.

I played with Ol' Uncle Mike at the club last night. He's a 27 handicap and only discusses his score in net terms. When he poured in a 25 footer for gross par on our 480 yard par 4, he was able to happily spend the rest of the evening telling everyone who would listen (and at least a dozen people who wouldn't) about his eagle. He would definitely have appreciated knowing for sure if he had actually made an albatross under the terms of the day's competition.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 10:46:13 AM »
I once had the idea (and might have even said it out loud) that flat/contour-less greens tilted back to front were the most strategic of all, and of the purest kind. I don't now remember the background to/thinking behind that idea, but it must've seemed very compelling to me at the time.

I don't know about "most strategic of all" but I agree with your main point.  Of course, the "plane" green will have to tilt somewhere about 1.5% for drainage, but in reality, it should provide a proportional reward for those able to place the ball just below the hole, and closer to it.  Gentle rolls and more certainly add an element of random outcomes, which in general we accept, so I would consider this a once per course kind of feature for variety. 

Of course, we would have to convince the owners and shapers we really wanted that and it was a good idea.  I could start a thread one of the craziest things heard from clients and shapers, and among the top responses I have had is, "Um, that green is different from the rest, don't you think it should be like the others?"  One shaper on a recent project took it upon himself to build a planned 7,500 SF green closer to the "normal" size of the first three he had built, using that theory.  Since he was a shaper and not owner, I had a minor hat throwing incident ::) :-[  and asked him to go back home and bring me the golf architecture book where some gca told him that was a widely accepted design theory!  (BTW, not saying this is any reflection on Mike Young, but he was imported by the contractor, and has done a lot of work with him, LOL) Just saying to see if I can get a rise out of Mike!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 10:48:41 AM »
The only response to any of these comments is:

“Is it unreasonable to expect an expert golfer to make par from *insert situation here*.”

That usually shuts it down.

Kyle,

I've heard that from many golfers, usually involving carry bunkers, as in, "if I don't clear that bunker, I'll have a much harder shot, what's that all about?"  Uh, isn't that the point of any hazard?  In the real world, it's like an axe murderer wondering why his "right" to a free life should be taken away "just because" he hacked someone up.  (Grizzly example, but the hacking part made it seem more relevant to golf, LOL)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 10:59:10 AM »
I have occasionally built a Dell type hole, and some others with kick plates as TD mentioned.  Every once in a while, I will hear a golfer exclaim it's unfair that they don't have a direct chip or putt to access the pin, and then I drop a ball and show them how to chip well away from the hole and use the slope to get there. 

On a Redan, I once had an employee (and later a client) ask why on earth would I design a hole where the best play isn't to play directly to a pin?  Luckily, most seem to understand the concept of using slopes after getting a gentle explanation of it, but such is the mindset of many golfers raised in the over watered and aerial game era.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 12:55:04 PM »
Tommy,

Drop the mic . . . . . the PV story wins first prize.

Jon Sweet

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2021, 07:00:32 AM »
My host at Pine Valley graciously allowed me to bring a couple friends. After the round one of them, a low handicapper, said, "I don't think the course is so great. You get too many bad lies if you are off the fairway."
Did you friend fall and hit his head? A person in our group said Merion as we were crossing over from the 13th to the 14th said he’d rather go sit on the patio and drink Pine Valleys and wait for us to finish. He didn’t manage to get the return invite. Called it a golf factory. Classic.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2021, 12:48:25 PM »
Jon,

That is like paying for a Disneyland ticket and not going on Pirates (The Quarry Hole) or the Haunted House (recreating Hy Peskin's picture on #18).

Pick up the mic, that tops the topper - like playing the front side at Shinnecock and saying you're too tired to walk the back nine.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2021, 01:42:55 PM »
"If I'm on the green, I should always be able to two-putt!"

Sorry, couldn't resist!  ;D

This is essentially USGA/R&A Rules of Golf 5E (2) Selecting a Hole Location
with the second putt being a tap in on a flat lie from 2 feet.

why not just say with the second putt being a "gimme"
It would speed up the game

John McCarthy

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2021, 02:14:59 PM »
On a short 4, from a 20 handicap - If I have a wedge in my hand I should have a reasonable birdie putt.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back