News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: US Amateur - Surprisingly Low Scores ?
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2021, 09:37:22 AM »
jeffwarne,
+1
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

JohnVDB

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2021, 10:51:42 AM »
"Pretty incredible how low they were at almost every site. There were many sites where 5 and 6 under did not get in. It wasn't that long ago where 5 under par would've been medalist by three or four shots. It seems like the scoring at every level of competitive golf is crazy low."

In Northern California there were 5 qualifying sites for the US Am. Two rounds of 68 (136) would not have been good enough to qualify at any of them.

Actually, 137 got in at Sunnyside in Fresno.  But still an amazing stat.

There was a guy who shot 141 to qualify in Florida.  He shot 90 at Oakmont yesterday.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2021, 11:01:47 AM »
If you are shaky at all with the putter, it can be a long day at Oakmont. My first time there my buddy three putted every hole on the front nine. It got so bad I gave him five footers.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JohnVDB

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2021, 05:58:04 PM »
If you are shaky at all with the putter, it can be a long day at Oakmont. My first time there my buddy three putted every hole on the front nine. It got so bad I gave him five footers.

My Oakmont putting story.  I’m playing #10.  The hole is front left and my ball is back right.  The caddie points to a spot that is hole high and 15 or more feet left of the hole from my perspective at the back.  He says, you want to just putt it to here and it will go down to the hole.  I did exactly that stopping it right where he pointed, leaving me with a 15 foot straight downhill second putt.  I was happy that I only three-putted the hole.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2021, 08:45:51 PM »
Looks like 68 (-2) was the low score at Oakmont.

My putting story. Shotgun start was on #8 to a back left hole. 15 feet. 4. #9 approach shot to 15 feet, with hole cut near the left ledge. 7
Before the round don't head to the range until you are (semi) dialed in on the practice green.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2021, 10:46:05 AM »
I was out the on Wednesday and Thursday.  To me from what I observed it seems that the difference on Monday was they place was probably very firm and dry.  The last two days the greens did not seem dangerously quick from what I saw.  Seems like the rains took the teeth out of it.  The primary rough length was very fair in my opinion nothing I would be shocked to find at a top club under regular play. The first cut is very wide and while I typically prefer not to see a first cut it really works at Oakmont when you consider the challenge of the course.

The entire place was immaculately maintained, as good as anything I’ve ever seen, probably the best as I think about it.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2021, 11:43:55 AM »
For those who took the day off like me, coverage starts in 15 minutes, looking forward to it!

Jeff Schley

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2021, 02:54:08 AM »
One of my good friends from HS played in it at age 47 was one of the oldest qualifiers. He shot 79 on Monday at Oakmont and 71 at Longue Vue. I think the field averaged about 77/78 on Monday at Oakmont. With the rain it played significantly easier as we saw. It was the putting that separated the field.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back