News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Tillinghast Double Doglegs and Reef Holes
« on: July 29, 2021, 02:53:58 PM »
For a major writing project, I am trying to see which are the better Tillinghast Double Dogleg Par-5s and Reef Hole Par-3s. Am open to suggestions. Two Reef Holes I know well are Paramount No. 18 and Southward Ho 14.

Jaeger Kovich

Re: Tillinghast Double Doglegs and Reef Holes
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 03:10:00 PM »
Spend some time at Quaker Ridge! It may help w your other thread too.

Also Suburban in Union, NJ has a fabulous Reef hole #3. The green is excellent

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 03:56:44 PM »

Hi Brad,

I know there is a Reef hole at McGregor Links in Saratoga Springs...I believe the third hole.  This is an Emmet course though.

I played a bunch of tournaments there in college and it was a bear, 215-220y or so blind over a hill with bunkers.

Just found a citation in the Graves/Cornish book "Classic Hole Design" that says:  "Reef - Said to be a Tillinghast original, it may have been preceded by the 3rd at McGregor Links, Saratoga Springs, New York by architect Devereaux Emmet."

http://https://books.google.com/books?id=jq4hmzS4oIcC&pg=PA200&lpg=PA200&dq=mcgregor+links+%22reef%22+hole&source=bl&ots=4_SRyQ4OzD&sig=ACfU3U1EMp7xjsh8to7lg9jAggcbDy6Gyw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjYy--ah4nyAhUrheAKHd1CDHYQ6AEwBXoECAwQAw#v=onepage&q=mcgregor%20links%20%22reef%22%20hole&f=false
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 04:46:31 PM »
Bethpage Yellow #12? I think it is.

There was a Reef at Old York Road that is NLE. The only Tillinghast with a Reef and a Moat!
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 08:11:25 AM »

Hi Brad,

I know there is a Reef hole at McGregor Links in Saratoga Springs...I believe the third hole.  This is an Emmet course though.

I played a bunch of tournaments there in college and it was a bear, 215-220y or so blind over a hill with bunkers.

Just found a citation in the Graves/Cornish book "Classic Hole Design" that says:  "Reef - Said to be a Tillinghast original, it may have been preceded by the 3rd at McGregor Links, Saratoga Springs, New York by architect Devereaux Emmet."

That’s a great hole; I did a diagram of it for volume 3 of The Confidential Guide.  But I had not thought of it as a “Reef Hole” because you don’t use mounds to try and kick the ball onto the green.

I have seen Tillie’s drawing but I have never played any of the Reef holes mentioned, nor seen one that looks like it would work as diagrammed.

mark chalfant

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 12:04:37 PM »
McGregor's 230 yard third is one of Emmet's finest par threes. He stated that McGregor's third was inspired by 
" the famous Sahara hole at Sandwich"  ( Royal St. Georges)

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 09:08:14 AM »
For a major writing project, I am trying to see which are the better Tillinghast Double Dogleg Par-5s and Reef Hole Par-3s. Am open to suggestions. Two Reef Holes I know well are Paramount No. 18 and Southward Ho 14.
Correct on Paramount, however the nines have been reversed so the reef hole is actually #9, not #18.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back