News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Wilbur

Way OT——who knew that gymnasts also get the Yips?
« on: July 27, 2021, 09:11:40 PM »
As a POHY (Person Who Has Yipped), I felt some feeling of camaraderie with Simone Biles at the Olympics.  Unfortunately for her, she didn’t have time to run out and find a left handed putter to use on floor exercise or uneven parallel bars.  Having to compete in a sport that calls for such an extreme amount of physical perfection, and then instill doubt into the equation, would be mind boggling.  She was reported to have a “medical issue” when she dropped out of the US team gymnastics event, but she seemed to deny it was a physical ailment in conversations with her teammates.   

David_Tepper

Re: Way OT——who knew that gymnasts also get the Yips?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 09:21:31 PM »
Brad -

As a yipper myself, it does not surprise me at all. The mind is a powerful and sometimes dangerous thing. As you say, the margin for error in gymnastics can be less than an inch. And falling off a balance beam hurts, unlike missing a 20 inch putt.

There has been more than one second baseman in the major leagues who yips his throws to first base, catchers who cannot throw the ball back to the pitcher or pitchers who cannot make a pickoff throw to first base.

DT

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 09:51:36 PM by David_Tepper »

Will Lozier

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 09:46:20 PM »
I too can get a bit %!@@y on the greens (as David T. can attest!). Totally felt for her.

Also, if you are a Ted Lasso fan, it can happen to footballers too!! ;D

Seriously...WATCH TED LASSO!

Cheers

Matt MacIver

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 10:13:01 PM »
I’m the full swing yips for 10+ years and it’s, well, a challenge. Wish her the best. The mind is a beautiful (turribul) thing.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 10:35:20 PM »
I feel sorry for her, the build up, the incredible expectations of the world. It’s a lot for anyone to handle. I think it happens more than anyone thinks. Bobby Jones and Byron Nelson’s early retirements, Ian Baker Finch, Curtis Strange and even Seve seemed to just lose it.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 11:46:36 PM »
Happens in trial law.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 12:22:06 AM »
I haven't heard a peep out of the US coaches. Aren't they supposed to keep the gymnasts loose and take the pressure off as well as boosting their fragile egos. Where is Bela Karolyi when you need him? "You can do it!" ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 12:51:41 AM »
When you start a round, and you're not in a "good frame of mind", chances are the only thing you'll bruise is your ego.  Biles said she is doing things that are complicated and dangerous, and serious injury is possible if she is not mentally up for it.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 11:30:46 AM »
NBC's coverage of this situation w/ Ms. Biles has only increased the problem.  Women's gymnastics has been wildly over hyped.
For me the interesting element of the Olympics are the contests with much less visibility that are rarely in the public eye.
Has the postponed Olympics increased media pressure to deliver higher ratings?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 12:51:56 PM »
Unlike golf, in gymnastics the yips can kill you.

My daughter dropped out when she started to feel fear - which is only natural when you are hurtling high off the ground, upside down and in multiple directions.  I did not understand it at the time but in retrospect she did the right thing.

Rob Marshall

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 01:56:01 PM »
Always nice to read a bunch of old white guys pontificating on what a woman is feeling.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 05:54:03 PM »
Always nice to read a bunch of old white guys pontificating on what a woman is feeling.
In this circumstance, it is self evident.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Daryl David

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 07:30:59 PM »
I’m sure Steve Sax could enlighten folks on what happens when a athlete gets the yips. Heck, they named the condition after him.

She was smart to bow out. Steve couldn’t break his neck by not being able to throw a baseball. For a gymnast, it’s life threatening.

Jon Sweet

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 08:29:50 PM »
Judge not a person’s opinion by the content of their statement, but by the color of their skin, their age, and their genitalia.
Ron M

Buck Wolter

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 08:23:26 AM »
Padraig Harrington was talking about the fine line between knowledge and confidence when it comes to winning majors. The more knowledge you have the less confidence as you learn all the things that can go wrong (something like that). Maybe there's a reason that elite Gymnasts tend to be teenagers.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Jason Thurman

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 09:02:02 AM »
This is also interesting. A climber, literally named Alannah Yip, talking through some of the work she does to seek a "flow state" when competing, with contributions from legendary performance coach George Mumford.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/videos/how-an-olympic-climber-manages-her-anxiety-to-get-in-the-zone/

Of course, these things get more complicated in a sport as dangerous as gymnastics. And a graphic midway through the video above would suggest that a high level of skill is required to reach flow state... so recreational golfers like most of us might have to do more than just breathing techniques to benefit.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 10:25:44 AM »
What seems to get lost is that Simone thought of the team. I'm not sure the USA wins silver if she competed, because she was so far from her best. Good on her. She was there to cheer on her teammates, which must have been difficult.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 10:49:52 AM »
What seems to get lost is that Simone thought of the team. I'm not sure the USA wins silver if she competed, because she was so far from her best. Good on her. She was there to cheer on her teammates, which must have been difficult.
Yes, she gave what she could athletically and that helped the team. However, suggesting it was "difficult" for her to cheer on her teammates only implies that she is selfish. Simone Biles is/was one the greatest gymnasts of my lifetime and I've enjoyed every minute I've seen her display her incredible talent.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 11:19:40 AM »
Yes, she gave what she could athletically and that helped the team. However, suggesting it was "difficult" for her to cheer on her teammates only implies that she is selfish. Simone Biles is/was one the greatest gymnasts of my lifetime and I've enjoyed every minute I've seen her display her incredible talent.

I wasn't thinking of it that way. The difficult part was that she was wishing that she could have been able to be out there for her team and was letting them down, even though she did the right thing.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 12:16:00 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2021, 01:11:19 PM »
Turns out that it is not an uncommon condition and they even have a name for it: “ the twisties”!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 01:48:48 PM »
 the best in her field ever-
lifelong dedication and unprecedented expertise in her craft.

-sexually abused in Olympic training care.
-lost in the air performing an incredibly dangerous stunt.

Maybe just give her the benefit of the doubt?
selfish?
Holy cow..
Watching ANYTHING gymnastic related after bowing out, after a lifetime of dedication and sacrifice, would be difficult.(much less feeling responsible if the team didn't win)

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 05:08:16 PM »
Sad this happened as it robbed her of what was most likely going to be a very successful performance with a gold medal. She didn't need to perform her best ever, just the best she could. This is big time pressure and keep in mind how young these athletes are in years and life experience, it is easy to Monday morning qb their decisions but they are living them.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tim Leahy

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2021, 07:28:51 PM »
Turns out that it is not an uncommon condition and they even have a name for it: “ the twisties”!
Sounds like something David Duval had with his inner ear. Took a while to diagnose and ended his career. Could be physical along with mental.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Emerson

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2021, 08:00:02 PM »
Sounds like something David Duval had with his inner ear. Took a while to diagnose and ended his career. Could be physical along with mental.

Vertigo is not the same as the twisties.  Vertigo is a physical medical condition affecting the inner ear which controls balance.  Twisties is a mental condition.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back