News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Pehquenakonck in North Salem, NY - anyone know the history here?
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2021, 09:20:09 PM »
Are you guys saying that Salem Golf Club is BAF? Adjacent to Peq and close to NV.

BAF? NV?
Salem is the definition of mediocre...4 or 5 interesting holes...a few more playable ones...the rest, a disappointment.

Vin-Is there a hole toward the end of the round with a big hardwood in the fairway at Salem? As far as Pehquenakonck and Vails Grove I’m going to follow Stewart’s lead and play both on the same day. If the golf isn’t enough there are some nice Italian options in Brewster. Anyone that wants to play send me a message as I’m an hour away.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2021, 09:52:09 PM »
Are you guys saying that Salem Golf Club is BAF? Adjacent to Peq and close to NV.

BAF? NV?
Salem is the definition of mediocre...4 or 5 interesting holes...a few more playable ones...the rest, a disappointment.

Vin-Is there a hole toward the end of the round with a big hardwood in the fairway at Salem? As far as Pehquenakonck and Vails Grove I’m going to follow Stewart’s lead and play both on the same day. If the golf isn’t enough there are some nice Italian options in Brewster. Anyone that wants to play send me a message as I’m an hour away.

Let's see...

I think that has to be 15..an uphill sharp dogleg right with a big ol spreading tree about 215 out
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2021, 12:39:08 AM »

Re: Vails Grove... though any sane person would agree that it is less quirky than Peq, I wonder if the blind par 3 5th still has the turnable 20 foot Stop/Go sign with the cowbell for when the green is clear.

I'll upload Vails Grove pix this weekend and post a link on this thread. In the interim, as shown here, the "Stop/Go" sign is still there.

Vails Grove #5 par 3 from tee 

Vails Grove #5 par 3 from tee cropped to show sign

Vails Grove #5 short of green 

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2021, 11:31:09 AM »
LoL and Wow... 20 years of GCA site ethos was not complete until this post on this thread... this is golf in the raw, like Steak Tartare, served in that manner because the stove is broken...
Well done SA..
Stewart, your trek and pictures remind us that golf is a great game. Can't wait to tell my friends we GOTTA play Pehquenakonck and Vails Grove because they are "destination" courses now.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2021, 12:16:50 PM »
Stewart, your trek and pictures remind us that golf is a great game. Can't wait to tell my friends we GOTTA play Pehquenakonck and Vails Grove because they are "destination" courses now.

I don't know if its more amazing, or completely understandable, that TWO courses such as these exist within literal walking distance of one another. And perhaps Stewart can attest from his own visit, in the last 20 years, I've never seen more than 10 cars in the lot nor more than  15 golfers on each course. I drive by both (they are along a "beat-traffic" short cut from 684 to 84) weekly and those numbers are smaller every year...doesn't matter the day or time of day, they are ghost towns, which adds to the surreal sense of both places.

This was different in the early mid 80s when I was a teenager... Vails was really, really busy on weekends; you might have a half hour wait and had to pair up with singles/2somes...I stopped by a month ago...2 pm on a hot Saturday, not a soul to be seen.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2021, 01:08:32 PM »

I don't know if its more amazing, or completely understandable, that TWO courses such as these exist within literal walking distance of one another. And perhaps Stewart can attest from his own visit, in the last 20 years, I've never seen more than 10 cars in the lot nor more than  15 golfers on each course. I drive by both (they are along a "beat-traffic" short cut from 684 to 84) weekly and those numbers are smaller every year...doesn't matter the day or time of day, they are ghost towns, which adds to the surreal sense of both places.

This was different in the early mid 80s when I was a teenager... Vails was really, really busy on weekends; you might have a half hour wait and had to pair up with singles/2somes...I stopped by a month ago...2 pm on a hot Saturday, not a soul to be seen.

VK - We had an 8:15 tee time at Pehquenakonck. I didn't make an earlier time as we had a 50 minute drive and had to cross the TZ Bridge and there is construction of the Saw Mill. I didn't expect to be the first ones out that morning but we were. We actually teed off a few minutes before 8:00 and  saw three twosomes on the course after us, a dad and his 5 year old son, two teenaged boys and two young women. It was a great day to play temp wise, but there was very overcast with a slight mist and a chance of rain, so that might have reduced demand that morning. We darted by 9:30.  In hindsight we should have played 18 as they have two sets of tees for each hole and we had plenty of time to kill before Vails Grove.

Vails Grove has a men's club that has use of the course on Thursdays until 12:30. They wouldn't let us make a tee time. Instead  I was told to show up and they would get us out on a first come-first served basis at 12:30. The men's club had a shotgun start with a foursome on each hole and one fivesome, so there were a bunch of cars in the lot.  They play the nine hole course twice using different tees each go-round.

It is less than a five minute drive between the courses. We stopped at a cafe called Hayfields which is halfway between the two courses on the corner of Rte 121 and Bloomer Rd. It is a combo cafe and florist in a building that was a gas station. The food and coffee were good and it was much busier than either golf course. After eating we couldn't think of anything else to do to kill time until 12:30 so we drove to Vails Grove. It was impeccable timing as the last group to go through had just finished playing the first hole for the second time so they let us out on #1 with the caveat that we not ask any of the members to let us to play through. We were behind the fivesome, but they had five riding carts and played fast so we didn't have too many long waits. We often played two balls each and played the seventh and eighth holes twice.

I know that's more info than needed

Peter -Just set their expectations. For the right players these courses will be a lot of fun, but I know many who would say WTF.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2021, 05:57:21 PM »
Here's a link to the photos of Vails Grove if anyone is interested. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157719642862154 - Vails Grove photos

9 holes, 2200 Yards, par 32, the property is very hilly with very small. round, mostly flat greens

Vails Grove #4 from tee ]

CMP

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2021, 02:19:21 PM »
This was a fantastic post, thank you for the pics. Although I'm sure all would agree - there's no way to photograph #4 appropriately.

Again - super welcoming folks, great locals scene. Looks like a super fun crowd to play with, and that counts for a lot in my book.

Tim Martin

Re: Pehquenakonck in North Salem, NY - anyone know the history here? New
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2024, 04:32:36 PM »
I played both Pehquenakonck CC and Vails Grove GC today and agree with the sentiments already expressed. Again the par three 4th hole is a one off and Vin’s nickname of “Kilimanjaro” is perfect for what might be the most terrifying 115 yards in golf. The par three 5th at Vail’s Grove is a 170 yard Dell hole with the green sited in a hollow and the par four 6th playing 290 yards up a hill blind off the tee with a directional flag sited on a knob. If four hardwood trees were taken out behind you would have a terrific skyline green. The people couldn’t have been nicer and I was done at both places including the ride between courses in less than three hours. Red Rooster Drive-In is a winner on the back end. Thanks to Stuart for the great photos.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 05:48:21 PM by Tim Martin »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back