News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Molyneux

passing of Farmstead GC
« on: September 14, 2021, 08:19:28 AM »
Recently, I learned that Farmstead GC in North and South Carolina is closing. If you ever played Farmstead, you probably remember it for the par 6, 18th hole that started in South Carolina and finished in North Carolina. That got me to wondering if there might be other golf holes that start in one state and finish in another. I sort of remember a course that plays between Canada and the U.S. but I don't think any one hole spans both countries. Anyone ever encountered another design quirk like this?
[/size][/color]

Cliff Hamm

Re: passing of Farmstead GC
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 08:56:16 AM »
Pawtucket Country Club is technically in Rhode Island. That is where the clubhouse and a few holes are located, but most of it is in Massachusetts. Became interesting during Covid as I recall. In the beginning Mass residents needed to park in Massachusetts so as not to utilize the clubhouse in Rhode Island. They could play most holes but technically not those in Rhode Island.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 09:05:59 AM »

Aroostook Valley CC's parking lot and pro shop are in Maine, while the golf course proper is in New Brunswick. A couple holes run along the border such that you could hit a shot from Canada into the U.S.

There are other courses out there that cross state borders. Cliff mentioned Pawtucket; Rockrimmon CC has a Connecticut address but the vast majority of the course lies within New York.

It's a shame about Farmstead; I've always thought it was underrated because it had a nice open feel with very few houses and a lot of space between holes. Looking at the layout on Google Maps, there would seem to be plenty of land to build hundreds of homes in several little villages between the holes in a layout that might be a little different than the norm. But I'm sure the developer who plows the course under will just build a cramped, cookie-cutter community that maximizes the number of homesites and minimizes the amount of soul.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Phil Carlucci

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 10:15:30 AM »
For a too-brief four-year run from 2005-08 me and three friends made June trips down to Myrtle Beach for 4-5 rounds spread out around the Strand.  I always considered Farmstead the most underrated.  It was a hike from Myrtle Beach itself, and the par-6 was a gimmick, but it was one course down there that I'd make sure to repeat if given the opportunity.  Too bad.
A handful of the courses that we played in MB during that stretch are long gone.  I'm pretty sure we were among the last groups to play Bay Tree.  Last I checked that place was still sitting abandoned 15 years later.
Golf On Long Island: www.GolfOnLongIsland.com
Author, Images of America: Long Island Golf

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 04:18:38 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back