News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Kallberg

Growing up in LA, I learned the game mostly playing Fox Hills GC in rounds after school - a friend's mother was kind enough to drive us over there and drop us off for 9 holes before taking us back home for dinner and homework.

It was a good, fun, and challenging course.  I remember also that it was a favorite course among Black athletes either living in LA or passing through.  Saw lots of Dodgers, and one exciting day, Bill Russell from the Celtics, who (so it seemed to me) was taller than the flagsticks.

Only long after the course was plowed under for real estate did I learn that it was a George Thomas design (with some Bell too, I gather).  I've read what I can find about it, including the description in Wexler's Missing Links.  But I've yet to run across any online photographs of the course?  Is there a resource for SoCal golf that might be something I could dig around in and turn up a picture or too?  Or something like the Hagley Museum in Delaware, with its great fund of photographs of courses taken from airplanes?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jeff

John Emerson

Re: Photographs of Fox Hills GC (Culver City - George Thomas)?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 07:34:21 PM »
I found some amazing pics of other California Thomas courses at the University of Delaware library.  It gives me access to digitized photos, but there are so many (old pics in general) that aren’t digitized.  I know that UC Berkeley, U So. Cal, and UCLA libraries have tons of pictures from that time period.  That’s where Shackleford has uncovered many old Thomas, Mackenzie etc course photos for his books
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

John Emerson

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 08:17:11 PM by John Emerson »
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Karl Jensen

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 12:28:46 PM »
Jeff,

Is this your Fox Hills GC? Are you searching for closeup photos of the course's holes or for more of an architectural layout?

Jeff Kallberg

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 09:06:42 AM »
Karl: Yes, this is it - hosted 1954 LA Open.  This photo may be the source of the diagram of the hole layout that appears in Missing Links.  I'm trying to find some photos that give a better sense of individual holes.  Close-ups would be great, but I know those are hard to come by for this era.

Jeff Kallberg

Jeff Kallberg

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 08:22:16 PM »
Karl,

Many thanks!  I agree, what a par 3!  It looks to be the 135-yd 6th hole - beautiful bunkering.

Cheers,

Jeff

SB

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 08:52:05 PM »
Based on the topography, I always assumed Fox Hills was north of Slauson, where the oil wells are now, but the map shows it is south.  I guess they bulldozed the crap out of it to make that neighborhood.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back