News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Should golf course photography be held to a code of ethics?
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2021, 12:13:51 PM »
I’ll start.

1. Back and white is for art class.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2021, 02:39:31 PM »
How difficult would it be to come up with five rules for golf course photography? Permission and pace of play are givens.

Rule 1. Only take pictures in daylight, dawn, or dusk.
Rule 2. Make sure the camera is in focus.
Rule 3. Don't leave the camera on the tee, fairway, or green.
Rule 4. Don't drop the camera in a lake, pond, or creek.
Rule 5. Make sure you play with Jon Cavalier.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2021, 02:48:20 PM »
As no defense of my mental acuity but perhaps to show that my dislike of bad photography has nothing to do with JC please review the little touch of insanity below:

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33693.msg673292.html#msg673292

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2021, 06:01:15 PM »
How difficult would it be to come up with five rules for golf course photography? Permission and pace of play are givens.

No removing (via photoshop) distractions - buildings, streets, power lines
Replacing skies - allowed (but tacky) as the golf is the product - for example - in an ad for whipped cream the whipped cream should be real, but not necessarily the ice cream
No alterations of the golf
No swapping out vegetation or natural environment
Can remove blemishes - divots and footprints in sand

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2021, 09:55:55 AM »
Thanks. Wow...I was wrong about that one. I did not know that with a camera alone you could create whatever image you want from almost nothing. While accurate in theory I still believe the picture to be make believe in reality.

I think that "make sure the photo depicts reality" is probably the photography equivalent to golf's "play it as it lies."  Yes, there are exceptions to both, and when most golf photos are used for marketing, minor enhancements are probably acceptable, but like other products, the advertiser shouldn't be allowed to outright lie (i.e., Lose 50 lbs. in just one week!).  Many enhancement issues are in gray areas, subject to opinion.  Some would call women wearing makeup as false advertising, for instance.

I was once at Giant's Ridge with a noted photographer.  While most I knew shot only in the early morning or late night, he just shot photos all day, and changed the lighting to look like early morning with Photoshop.  He even added snow to a few photos, so they could send those out as Xmas cards.  For a short while, that ability had to be a competitive advantage for him.  Basically, most golf photographers had to set aside three days to make sure they weren't delayed by rain, etc.  He still probably had to set aside two days, but usually got done in one day, with his nights spent touching up the photos.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tim Martin

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2021, 10:42:37 AM »
I recently went to a party where a person was using a 35 millimeter camera. I was trying to think of the last time I had seen one.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2021, 12:28:56 PM »

I was once at Giant's Ridge with a noted photographer.  While most I knew shot only in the early morning or late night, he just shot photos all day, and changed the lighting to look like early morning with Photoshop.  He even added snow to a few photos, so they could send those out as Xmas cards.  For a short while, that ability had to be a competitive advantage for him.  Basically, most golf photographers had to set aside three days to make sure they weren't delayed by rain, etc.  He still probably had to set aside two days, but usually got done in one day, with his nights spent touching up the photos.

Twenty-five years ago all wedding Photographers at weddings where I officiated use film. Then many began to use film and digital. It did not take long for all of them to go digital. It was cheaper, the couples had more pictures from which to choose, and the pictures came out better.

When I take pictures on non-golf vacations I don't even try to frame the photo. I can go back and crop it the way I want. I can fix the color, brightness, etc. Sometimes the picture as taken does not reflect the true image because the settings were wrong. It is nice to be able to edit them. I then put them in books that I make online. They come out looking professional. We live in amazing times.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2021, 02:21:15 PM »

Twenty-five years ago all wedding Photographers at weddings where I officiated use film. Then many began to use film and digital. It did not take long for all of them to go digital. It was cheaper, the couples had more pictures from which to choose, and the pictures came out better.

When I take pictures on non-golf vacations I don't even try to frame the photo. I can go back and crop it the way I want. I can fix the color, brightness, etc. Sometimes the picture as taken does not reflect the true image because the settings were wrong. It is nice to be able to edit them. I then put them in books that I make online. They come out looking professional. We live in amazing times.

Frame the photo?  I have been asked to hold a tree branch over the camera to get the photo framed.  At least, they were taking the shot from the side of the fw, and not the center.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

AChao

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2021, 12:29:30 AM »
Art vs. photojournalism vs. accurate representation of features of golf course from a player's perspective.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back