News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Mixing-up trip courses
« on: June 07, 2021, 04:29:46 AM »
On another thread Garland wrote about Ireland but it could likely have been written about anywhere -
“Some people like to mix in a little Perraporth with their St. Enodoc. A little Carne with their Ballybunion, a little Pennard with their Porthcawl, etc.”
Lovely wording.
I happen to go along with his thoughts. Indeed I’m leaning more towards little ‘uns than big ‘um more and more.
Thoughts?
Atb

Sean_A

Re: Mixing-up trip courses
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 05:08:25 AM »
With the crazy green fees these days, I lean more toward mainly lesser known courses with the odd big gun mixed in. That said, I have never been big on a tour of big guns...it gets old after a few days.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 06:24:21 AM »
Definitely. And I agree with Sean: I always found that a tour full of big guns didn’t let you savour them as much as if you mix in a few lesser lights.

But it depends what you want. Carne can hold its own to Ballybunion for many and it’s a harder walk so it hardly counts as a relief course. You play Carne because it’s a course you need to see.

My issue with the thread that spawned the above quote is that the requester was getting recommended a 4,800 yard very busy course on his first trip to Ireland when he’s only playing 5 courses and there was no context given. Maybe that’s what he wants. But Corballis ain’t no Carne or Pennard. And no one would be recommending Perranporth on a trip covering the south of England if only 5 courses were on the agenda.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 07:12:06 AM »
I would definitely reco Perranporth for a 5 course West Country trip!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 07:23:13 AM »

Ciao

So would I.

If the West Country was the only stop of the first time visitor to England.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 08:44:12 AM »
Mixing in Brora, Golspie, Tain & the Struie with Royal Dornoch is not a bad way to spend a week. Add in Fortrose if you want a travel a little further.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 09:36:04 AM »
Thanks in large part to people on this site being generous with their time in answering my questions, we thoroughly enjoyed Kilspindie, Elie, Crail Balcomie, Brora, and Golspie. But we had the good fortune of knowing that we could make more than one trip. I am curious to see if when we make another one, I will be inclined to try new regions or courses (except for TOC where our ballots did not prevail) or return to ones we loved.

Ira

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 10:28:03 AM by Ira Fishman »

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 09:55:14 AM »
When I think of all the trips I have made to those two islands off the European continent I usually am thankful that I played places like Brora, Leven, Dunbar, Perranporth, Narin/Portnoo, Ardglass,Castlegregory, and a few others.
Of course I cherished playing Ballybunion, Royal County Down, Deal, Rye, Porthcawl, Royal North Devon, TOC, North Berwick, and a few others.

“Thankful” and “ cherish” are both great but different words.

I also have  been “underwhelmed” but I’ll refrain from that here.
AKA Mayday

Brian Finn

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 12:22:05 PM »
My last overseas trip was an ideal mix to me, particularly because our driving time was kept to a minimum.  We stayed in North Berwick for 9 nights, playing Musselburgh Old, all 3 courses at Gullane (#3 course twice because it was so much fun), Kilspindie, Luffness New, North Berwick West Links (3 rounds), Muirfield (2 rounds), Dunbar, the Glen, and Goswick (2 rounds).  Goswick was our only significant drive, at a little less than an hour, and we were all glad to make the trip. 

All of the courses we played were great in one way or another, with some obviously both critically acclaimed and expensive, and others much less so, but still quite captivating.  Removing Muirfield, NBWL, and Gullane 1 from the trip would have lessened the experience some, but the remaining courses still would have combined for a wonderful trip. 

After doing some trips with substantially more driving time, this most recent trip set the new ideal for my future travel plans.  I'm now looking to do similar trips, with a fairly tight travel radius, in many spots, including the Highlands, Liverpool, et al.  Having still not seen so many of the world's best, I maintain desire to do so, but don't foresee any trips that exclusively focus on highly ranked courses, for quite a few reasons.  Just as golf courses need some ebb and flow (in my opinion), so too do trips, from day to day. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 01:05:35 PM »
When in doubt, always line up the big guns first...

So when you get to the last couple mediocre ones at the end and you're tried, sun burnt, and feet are aching you'll be OK with saying "Well I figured those last couple would be crap anyways"  ;)

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 01:48:55 PM »
Since, I am partially responsible for this...

I think this is a lot like going to restaurants while you are travelling. You will probably try to go to the "big name" restaurants in the area you are visiting because those are supposed to be "can't miss". But you will also try to add in some lesser known places that are "local hangouts".

I believe the same approach makes sense for golf trips. Who does not like experiencing those hidden gems?

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 02:15:10 PM »

Ciao

First thing that came into my head.
I played St. Enodoc, Perranporth, West Cornwall, Bude, and Saunton on same trip
Perranporth ended up being the star of the trip, along with SE.

Playing Big Guns involves a lot of hurdles that(potentially) reduce the enjoyment
Limited tee times, Big $$, advance planning, yellow tees, attitudes, tourists, slower play.
BUT, it's easy to have that opinion when you've already played the big gun.
I like a mix of BG's and gems(maybe a 3 or 4-1 ratio?) when I travel with others for their first time, and pure gems when traveling by myself or with like minded players who have played the BG's.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 03:20:59 PM »
With the crazy green fees these days, I lean more toward mainly lesser known courses with the odd big gun mixed in. That said, I have never been big on a tour of big guns...it gets old after a few days.

Ciao

I think that works after yo0u have played the big guns and then one of the lesser known courses. I know I enjoyed Beau Desert and Cavendish as much as some of the better know courses in Surrey and Berkshire.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back