News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Words and phrases used in golf
« on: May 25, 2021, 03:05:29 AM »
I read some wonderful words by Jeff Warne recently -
"Grow the game rather than the courses".
Well said Jeff.
atb

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Words and phrases used in golf
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 01:22:48 PM »
My vote goes for John K's recent line (approximated from memory, can't recall which thread it was on) "The key to scoring is to avoid the architecture."  While he was probably just trying to be his usually snarky self, it occurred to me that this might be the truest thing ever written here.

Of course, you can always find the humorous ones, like the phrase "Thurman Munson" to describe a "dead yank."
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 01:25:40 PM »
Joe H's "There's no money in doing less" is true, and truer than ever on an ever-increasing number of fronts.

Phil Burr

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 01:36:45 PM »
I'm kind of partial to Max Behr's oft-used "line of charm" that sounds so much more civilized than "sucker bet".

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 09:43:27 PM »
The short hole should not be long
— John Low
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 10:15:23 PM »
Not a word or phrase but a sentiment / insight as true today as when it was written almost a hundred years ago (in 1929 I believe):

"It is today an accepted principle of golfing architecture that the tiger should be teased and trapped and tested, while the rabbit should be left to peace, since he can make his own hell for himself."
Bernard Darwin

Jon Sweet

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 10:39:55 PM »
Heard a buddy call a putt “ripped pajamas” huh? He said yah, two balls out. Prob not with the tone of the post but I found it amusing.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 10:06:34 AM »
Not a word or phrase but a sentiment / insight as true today as when it was written almost a hundred years ago (in 1929 I believe):

"It is today an accepted principle of golfing architecture that the tiger should be teased and trapped and tested, while the rabbit should be left to peace, since he can make his own hell for himself."
Bernard Darwin

Darwin says it and he's a genius.....I say it and I'm just another a hole architect!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 10:09:55 AM »
JB -
but I don't think Darwin believed this accepted principle was a good thing.

Ted Sturges

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 11:01:44 AM »
"It's amazing what golf courses can learn to live without."

-Ran Morrissett

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 11:22:58 AM »
Jeff Warne quote in my signature.

With two JW quotes to one Bernard Darwin quote in this thread, is Jeff the new Bernard? ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:24:39 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JC Urbina

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 12:06:35 PM »
Thomas,

When I started my own company almost 11 years ago one message I wanted to send out that was important to me and what I felt people had forgot about when playing the game.

It's been on the top of my website banner since day one.

"Golf is supposed to be fun  spread the word "

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 03:20:06 PM »
I think the words I like to hear the most are simply, "Great shot, Tommy." My wife and I played in Morrocco many years ago at the
Red Course at Dar Es Salaam. Our caddies did not speak English. My wife said, "Great shot, Tommy" after a lot of my shots. About the fifth hole my wife hit a great shot. Her caddie exclaimed, "Great shot, Tommy!"
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 03:32:02 PM »
After taking my fourth shot on a par 3, I chipped in from 50 yds for a double bogey and the stranger I was playing with said "Thats like icing on shite!"
I also like "90% of putts left short don't go in." by Yogi Berra.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 03:53:46 PM »
Thomas,

When I started my own company almost 11 years ago one message I wanted to send out that was important to me and what I felt people had forgot about when playing the game.

It's been on the top of my website banner since day one.

"Golf is supposed to be fun  spread the word "

My dad's version of that (usually uttered during or after a bad hole) was, "Golf should be fun....dammit!"  A former colleague of mine has this motto, "Golf should be enjoyed, not endured."  So, pick one, they all have the same sentiment.

As time goes on, another old chestnut plays in my head repeatedly, "The older I get, the better I used to play."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 03:55:51 PM by Jeff_Brauer »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back