News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

OT - GCA Lurkers
« on: May 22, 2021, 11:00:22 PM »
I hosted a great guy at Silloth the other day who is not a member of this discussion group but who told me that he reads it avidly every morning.

I was somewhat taken aback. I never realised that there was a far wider audience for our witterings than the usual suspects who regularly contribute and that the influence of GCA is clearly more extensive than I ever imagined. Connor Lewis’s recent comments about GCA confirm this - he also is not a contributor but clearly keeps up to date on the discussions.

I shall be conscious of this in future before hitting the keyboard with inane comments.

Anyone know how many regular lurkers we have looking on? I suddenly feel a great weight of responsibility!

P.S.   Hi Ollie! 👋

« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 11:06:11 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tommy Williamsen

Re: OT - GCA Lurkers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 11:39:57 PM »
I know half a dozen guys who "lurk in the shadows." They don't go on every day but will pop on a few times a week.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 03:36:37 AM »

atb

JMEvensky

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 05:01:43 AM »

atb

Thanks for reminding me to re-watch this. Great movie--maybe the greatest theme music ever.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 05:22:13 AM »
Duncan, the number of watchers are large indeed. Many, many industry folks look in occasionally... most are more sensible than I am and choose not to comment.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 10:39:11 AM »
Duncan, the number of watchers are large indeed. Many, many industry folks look in occasionally... most are more sensible than I am and choose not to comment.

In particular, there are a lot of superintendents who enjoy reading the site, but don’t want to risk their employment over gossip about their job.

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 12:20:28 PM »
 8) ... are there more gc superintendents looking for thoughtful discussion or bloggers looking for subject content?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John McCarthy

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 09:36:36 PM »
Last Mashie I played with someone on the site a lot, knows way more than I on this subject yet reluctant to mix it up.  I think it is our loss.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Brian Finn

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 09:47:37 AM »
I have at least half a dozen friends that are on the site regularly, but do not have a login to participate.  It's extremely common, in my experience.  I read the site regularly (pretty much daily) for ten years before I officially joined.  Among my friends, a few are just interested in learning, and not really seeking interaction.  Two others are extremely well-read on golf history and architecture, and have played more architecturally significant courses than I have, but are not interested in having their name and comments public, largely for professional reasons.  I would estimate the count of "regular lurkers" numbers in the hundreds.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 10:16:26 AM »
At most industry gatherings (obviously, not any in this last year or so) someone will see my name badge and tell me they enjoy me "giving them hell" on golfclubatlas.com, or something similar.  It does get read, but as someone said, they aren't as dumb as I am, and refuse to submit themselves to that kind of punishment, LOL.

I wonder how much it might have hurt me, as well.  But only once did I have a potential client say something negative, purposely pointing out that he didn't think we needed catch basis here or there, right after I had submitted a post on why they are often necessary.  Of course, I didn't get that job.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 10:22:18 AM »
Although I have never had a bad experience I have learned to think of postings on here as if they are published in a newspaper.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 10:31:17 AM »
Although I have never had a bad experience I have learned to think of postings on here as if they are published in a newspaper.

Yes, it is wise to recall that anything you post here will live on the internet forever, and post accordingly.  Which I do, about 99% of the time.  Someday, someone will dig up my most unfortunate 1% of posts, probably at my funeral.  At least I won't care then!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ira Fishman

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2021, 10:38:32 AM »
I am in the middle of a pretty good biography of Robert Morris (an underappreciated Founding Father). I just finished a chapter where all hell broke loose when Silas Deane, who was part of the delegation to France, violated convention in 1778 by publishing under his own name allegations against the Lees (once again by name). At least since I started lurking and then posting, most of the Gca.com threads are relatively tame, but I understand that there may be little upside for those in the profession to engage directly.

Ira

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 10:56:43 AM »
I once had an employee of where I was a member print out every comment I had made about the course and submit those comments to the owners. When their attorney asked me what we were going to do about this my only and best response was to suggest that we start with what I said that wasn't true.

The internet was one hell of a lot more fun when you were given a chance to defend yourself.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 11:46:17 AM »
GCA is my only online presence. Before I retired a parishioner asked me to get a twitter account. I did, but had no idea what to post. When I post here I try to think if what I post is something I would say to someone in person. When I was a kid I broke a club in anger. My pro and mentor was ashamed of me and said, "Golfers and gentlemen do not behave that way." Gentlemanly behavior works for public forums as well.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Emerson

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 09:48:41 PM »
As an ex-super who’s still in the business, I know many several supers who come on here and “lurk”.  They are supers at a mix of courses, private and public.  As Tom said, they’re hesitant to post due to the fact that many here are on greens boards and it’s not worth the risk to speak up.  Which is a shame IMO.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2021, 05:15:06 AM »
I know at least a couple of members at my club who lurk here, from their having told me they agreed with some of my comments about the club.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2021, 05:19:15 AM »
I know at least a couple of members at my club who lurk here, from their having told me they agreed with some of my comments about the club.

Mark

For a good few years I didn't bother to make the effort to see your course because of your comments. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the place when I eventually made my way there. Thanks again for having me!  I guess familiarity can sometimes breed indifference.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2021, 05:46:34 AM »

In particular, there are a lot of superintendents who enjoy reading the site, but don’t want to risk their employment over gossip about their job.
I know of one that lost his job because of his comments.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2021, 08:18:13 AM »

Mark

For a good few years I didn't bother to make the effort to see your course because of your comments. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the place when I eventually made my way there. Thanks again for having me!  I guess familiarity can sometimes breed indifference.

Ciao
Thanks Sean, and you (and any other GCAers) are always welcome.  I think it's a pretty good course, that could be more fun with a few smallish changes to the way it's maintained.  I also feel that some of the recent changes (not the Mackenzie and Ebert work currently being done) were to the detriment of the course (especially the changes to the greenside bunkering on the 12th and some of the tree planting).  I guess I   feel that do err on the critical side.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2021, 08:57:15 AM »

Mark

Ciao
Thanks Sean, and you (and any other GCAers) are always welcome.  I think it's a pretty good course, that could be more fun with a few smallish changes to the way it's maintained.  I also feel that some of the recent changes (not the Mackenzie and Ebert work currently being done) were to the detriment of the course (especially the changes to the greenside bunkering on the 12th and some of the tree planting).  I guess I   feel that do err on the critical side.

Mark

Northumberland is for sure a good course and worth stopping to play for those travelling on the A1.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Brad Lawrence

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2021, 12:36:35 PM »
I’ve been a fan of this page for about a decade but was only recently able to acquire membership.  I can’t tell you how frustrating it was all that time not being able to chime in.

Adam Uttley

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2021, 04:02:31 PM »
It seems GCA, with a small handful of people talking and a lot more listening, is the opposite of social media where there a lot more broadcasting than listening!

As a very rare poster I can confess this site can be a little intimidating for someone that has no professional background in golf.  It can be a little unforgiving at times and unless you spend a lot of time here it’s hard to know what’s already been covered and what hasn’t.  Plus, I tend to be of the view that it’s only worth chiming in when you’ve got a useful contribution to make - ie you’re adding something new to the debate.  Having a high bar for quality of contribution is certainly no bad thing and makes a nice change from social media!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2021, 10:40:53 PM »
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mPb8tb3D6N0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2021, 11:57:39 PM »
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mPb8tb3D6N0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Welcome back from lurking to posting, Dick.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back