News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: Kiawah Ocean course - PGA Championship 2021
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2021, 01:17:35 PM »
Jeff - that's a new position/theory for me. I too long for the days & atmosphere when good golfers and average ones played the same course -- when Dean Martin could play Sam Snead on Celebrity Golf on the same course with the same equipment from the same tees, with Dean getting 4-5 shots a side hitting an average drive about 225 yards (to Sam's 260) and with 4-6 irons coming in to Sam's 7-9 irons. Those were good days; but as I watch the PGA from Kiawah, I'm convinced those days are never coming back. So - what then? And the theory is: celebrate the Kiawahs.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2021, 02:25:10 PM »
Jeff - that's a new position/theory for me. I too long for the days & atmosphere when good golfers and average ones played the same course -- when Dean Martin could play Sam Snead on Celebrity Golf on the same course with the same equipment from the same tees, with Dean getting 4-5 shots a side hitting an average drive about 225 yards (to Sam's 260) and with 4-6 irons coming in to Sam's 7-9 irons. Those were good days; but as I watch the PGA from Kiawah, I'm convinced those days are never coming back. So - what then? And the theory is: celebrate the Kiawahs.

The above is a fantasy. I've been scratch for 50 years now and I was never that close to a player of Snead's ability.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2021, 02:49:19 PM »
Sam would play resort guests for a little money and give them strokes based on their handicaps relative to 'scratch' -- the con of course being that from the tees they played Sam was more like a +6. Nonetheless, in their match Dean (an eight) took Sam to the very last hole, for a halve.
But you knew all that already, John.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 03:06:53 PM by Peter Pallotta »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2021, 03:38:17 PM »
A guy’s got to make a living.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2021, 03:49:11 PM »
Good for Phil giving the drone operator the what for.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2021, 08:59:56 PM »

The above is a fantasy. I've been scratch for 50 years now and I was never that close to a player of Snead's ability.

Funny thing about a scratch golfer is their average round isn’t close to scratch....
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Thomas Dai

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2021, 03:42:13 AM »
Not keen on the lush manicured grass along the fairway edges. Fairway direct to native would be nicer.
atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back