News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Feeney

OT - PGA Tour - slow play penalties
« on: May 21, 2021, 07:38:25 AM »
I suppose he is the only player in violation.
https://golf.com/instruction/rules/john-catlin-slow-play-penalty-pga-championship-2021/?utm_campaign=forecast&utm_source=golf.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=%7Bdate%28&utm_term=GOLFcom%20Top%20Stories%20NewsletterAm I too cynical in believing no Top 50 player would ever be assessed this penalty?  I wonder if the "elites" are even timed.Tried, but failed, to find the history of these penalties...perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

Bruce Katona

Re: OT - PGA Tour - slow play penalties
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 10:40:00 AM »
I thought i posted something on this yesterday......must be operator error.

The day Bryson, Dustin, Patrick Reed or another of the top 50 players is assessed this penalty I'll agree the blue blazers are actually going to enforce this equally.  As of now this penalty is as suspect as many penalty kicks called by FIFA referees prior to VAR.

JohnVDB

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 02:22:11 PM »

The day Bryson, Dustin, Patrick Reed or another of the top 50 players is assessed this penalty I'll agree the blue blazers are actually going to enforce this equally.  As of now this penalty is as suspect as many penalty kicks called by FIFA referees prior to VAR.

Your dreaded “blue blazers” have nothing to do with his event or 99% of the other ones you see on TV.  Even at the US Open the timing is primarily left to the PGA Tour officials on site.

Also, most of the top players know when they have to speed up and do.  In 2010 at pebble, I was walking with 3 of the best known players out there.  We started on 10.  When we got to 4, we had fallen behind due to a couple of issues on 2 and 3.  The hole was empty.  One of the players looked up, said, “we’re behind let’s go” and faster than I could radio in that we were behind they’d hit 3 shots and were off down the fairway. 

When they are right behind the group in front, they’ll certainly take more time baecuas there is no where to go.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 09:03:35 PM »
Rory played in 5 1/2 hours today. That’s a joke.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 11:11:44 PM »
There were three groups on the 17th tee most of the day. The last holes are so brutal they take a long time to play. At least one player is out of position.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 07:23:45 AM »
There were three groups on the 17th tee most of the day. The last holes are so brutal they take a long time to play. At least one player is out of position.

Get used to it.
When we glorify large scale,hazard laden, over the top hole after hole torture chambers as fields of play, any serious golf is going take a long, long time.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 10:27:49 AM »
I don't know if the prevailing wind normally comes out of the east, but 17 played beyond brutal yesterday, and they weren't even using the back tee.  They had a graphic that showed the yardage at about 195, but with the wind it was effectively playing 220+.  Then you look at the hole and its like where in the hell do you hit it?

Jim Hoak

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 08:38:00 PM »
It brought back memories of the 1991 Ryder Cup, where Montgomery was 4 down with 4 to play, and went bogey-bogey-double bogey-bogey to win all 4 holes for a half against Calc.  Now that's tough!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back