News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

The Ocean Course walk
« on: May 22, 2021, 12:44:32 AM »
I appreciate The Ocean Course is walking only except summer. Looks like some challenging surfaces but fairly flat. But how long does it take to get from 9 to 10? Looks like 500 yards. What is an acceptable green to tee walk? Surely they wouldn’t shuttle at a major. It’s a slippery slope from there to lift, clean and place. Next thing you know they will allow grounding in the bunkers.

Jeff Schley

Re: The Ocean Course walk
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 02:32:41 AM »
Mike I thought I heard that on day 1 Mickelson got a ride in a cart between nines on the broadcast. Didn't hear it mentioned again, but if he got one I'm sure everyone got one.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

David Jones

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 05:29:35 AM »
They have put a local rule in -

'Automotive transformation will be provided for players and caddies during the round from #9 green to #10 tee and from #18 green to #1 tee. The modifies item #5d on the PGA of America Hard card. Players must walk at all other times during their round'.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 09:10:31 AM »
Question: do they provide transportation from clubhouse/practice areas to #1 tee as well?  It may be considered before the round and exempt, just curious.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 10:10:13 AM »
So I fired up Google Earth and sounds like its the prudent thing to do.

Back of 9 green to back tee on 10 - 945 yards
Back of 18 green to back tee on 1 - 990 yards

Both transitions are just over 1/2 mile or nearly a kilometer for our overseas brethren.

P.S.  Perhaps its a Pete Dye "trademark".  I just measured TPC sawgrass and its 440 yards from 9 to 10, and 460 from 18 to 1.  I believe Harbour Town has some lengthy transitions too.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 10:30:29 AM by Kalen Braley »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 10:29:17 AM »
Question: do they provide transportation from clubhouse/practice areas to #1 tee as well?  It may be considered before the round and exempt, just curious.

Yes, from practice area to #1, from #9 green to #10 tee

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 01:00:03 PM »

P.S.  Perhaps its a Pete Dye "trademark".  I just measured TPC sawgrass and its 440 yards from 9 to 10, and 460 from 18 to 1.  I believe Harbour Town has some lengthy transitions too.

The longest walk at Harbour Town is from 18 to the clubhouse. I played in a pro-am there and walked everything but took a shuttle back to the clubhouse.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 07:05:53 PM »

Is there a a particular reason they put the nines so far apart?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 07:36:05 PM »
Matt,
I would guess the lack of available land for the practice area.

Phil Burr

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 07:46:11 PM »
It’s been 25 years since I played there, long before today’s clubhouse was built.  If I recall correctly, the range appeared to have been designed to be reversible based on the day’s wind and the clubhouse at that time was sited about midway along the range as opposed to overlooking the 18th green.  So the distance from 9 green to 10 tee was the same as it is now, but it was generally interrupted with a refreshment and/or bathroom stop on the way.  Neither the first tee nor 18th green were close to the clubhouse, but they were a moderate trek that occurred before and after play.

Has there ever been a first tee further removed from the clubhouse than the Monument & Alpine courses at Boyne Mountain?  20+ years ago you had to drive from the bottom all the way to the top of the hill (mountain by Michigan standards) to start your rounds.  I’ve never played there but I know Sand Hills is also a long way.  And having never been to Bandon I’m unfamiliar with clubhouse arrangements for Old Mac & Sheep Ranch.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 08:48:10 PM »
That has to be the most valuable driving range in the country. When I played there at least 10 years ago we got shuttled from 9 green to 10 tee.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 11:06:57 PM »
Has there ever been a first tee further removed from the clubhouse than the Monument & Alpine courses at Boyne Mountain?  20+ years ago you had to drive from the bottom all the way to the top of the hill (mountain by Michigan standards) to start your rounds.  I’ve never played there but I know Sand Hills is also a long way.  And having never been to Bandon I’m unfamiliar with clubhouse arrangements for Old Mac & Sheep Ranch.
The courses at Dismal River would take that honor. The starting holes for both courses are at least mile from the clubhouse.

Another starting hole that was a long haul from the clubhouse was the 1st at Doak’s permanently closed Black Forest in Mich.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 11:36:37 PM »

Has there ever been a first tee further removed from the clubhouse than the Monument & Alpine courses at Boyne Mountain?  20+ years ago you had to drive from the bottom all the way to the top of the hill (mountain by Michigan standards) to start your rounds. 

Phil, I think they are the two longest drives, even farther than Dismal. It certainly is the most uphill in the country.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2021, 11:44:39 PM »
The courses at Dismal River would take that honor. The starting holes for both courses are at least mile from the clubhouse.

Another starting hole that was a long haul from the clubhouse was the 1st at Doak’s permanently closed Black Forest in Mich.

As was the return to the clubhouse from 18.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 12:30:11 AM »

I'd guess that the first hole at Greywalls is right around a mile from the clubhouse, but it's tough to map the distance through the woods because I can't see the cart path.  Probably half a mile as the crow flies, but a pretty good haul from the pro-shop.

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2021, 02:28:56 AM »

Is there a a particular reason they put the nines so far apart?

It is very odd for the house to lean on the range rather than the 1st tee. It's not cool.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2021, 10:59:57 AM »
I was told that the area between nines was (incorrectly as it later turned out) staked as off limits during construction, forcing Dye to separate the nines more then he would have preferred.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2021, 12:01:10 PM »

I'd guess that the first hole at Greywalls is right around a mile from the clubhouse, but it's tough to map the distance through the woods because I can't see the cart path.  Probably half a mile as the crow flies, but a pretty good haul from the pro-shop.

Bill,

That's a good guess.  Once I figured out where the 1st hole was, I came up with a measurement of 1470 yards, or .83 miles.

Looks like they could have made the 3rd hole, #1, but perhaps they wanted to avoid the par 3 start configuration. But i'm guessing its a cart mandatory course anyways, so doesn't really matter.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2021, 10:18:42 PM »
Bill,

That's a good guess.  Once I figured out where the 1st hole was, I came up with a measurement of 1470 yards, or .83 miles.

Looks like they could have made the 3rd hole, #1, but perhaps they wanted to avoid the par 3 start configuration. But i'm guessing its a cart mandatory course anyways, so doesn't really matter.

I think it's walkable once you get over there.  There are some cutoffs that make it a little easier, but it's certainly not an easy looking walk, and I would gather the vast majority of their rounds are riding.  I believe there were plans to build a clubhouse by the 18th green.  Definitely a neat experience going to first tee for the first time.  You leave a pretty standard looking parkland style course, enter the woods, and feel like you've come out the other side in Narnia. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back