News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

Was Phil's win the death knell for the PGL and SGL? New
« on: May 24, 2021, 11:54:58 AM »
Since the always contrarian and feather ruffler Phil was one of the few "Marquee" names to not throw cold water on the prospect of turning their back on the Tour and going for the big money of the PGL or SGL he seemed to be helping to keep that ember hot.

Now that he won the PGA Championship and as such I can only guess has renewed vigor for the big time tour events and Majors, do you think it is fair to say he will be much less likely to want to poke a stick in the eye of the PGA Tour?

And if so, if he makes a public pronouncement of support for The Tour and pours cold water on the PGL/SGL option will that be the final glimmer of hope they had of igniting a fire?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 11:46:06 PM by Daryl "Turboe" Boe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

JESII

Re: Was Phil's win the death nail for the PGL and SGL?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 12:39:36 PM »
I'd guestimate it's a $100M decision for him to make...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 12:46:16 PM »
Why not have his cake and eat it too?

He's now fully exempt into all 4 majors for the next 5 years, and given none of them are run by the PGATour he could still play them and join the new start-up league to make the huge $$$.

The only question is can he/they get enough of the other stars to jump to get it off the ground...

Phil Burr

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 04:15:58 PM »
I think yesterday's win burnishes his legacy to the extent that it's inconceivable he would tarnish his reputation by walking away from the PGA Tour to chase a guaranteed paycheck.  His marketing appeal just took a huge leap forward and he can pursue guaranteed golfing paydays at non-PGA events in Europe and Asia (I didn't add Middle East because it 's part of Asia, even though we often treat it as its own continent).  So yes, I think it's the DEATH KNELL (not nail) of the PGL, as a knell is traditionally the second of three funeral bells, rung to signal that death is impending.    And yes, I think the PGL as a big-time competitor to the PGA Tour is on life support.

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 06:44:55 PM »
 8)  So Phil could have a net worth of $500 MM versus $400 MM.... don't see why that should really matter to him at this point.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 06:58:13 PM »
Didn't know what PGL was so googled it.

Since watching medal play golf is boring, a match play league would be welcome to me.

In fact, I long ago suggested that pro golf should do more match play teams, and less individual medal play.

My suggestion was to have cities have match play teams much like cities have NBA, NFL, or Major League teams. The teams would play Ryder cup style matches against each other trying to earn a spot in the playoffs.

Some advantages:

Match play is more interesting to spectators with a significant result every hole, as opposed to a lesser significant result every hole medal play.

Intercity rivalries. In my neck of the woods, we lost the Trailblazers/Sonic rivalry several years ago. Now the best we have is Timbers/Sounders.

More courses could be marque venues, thereby generating more interest in playing them by retail golfers.

A short course like North Berwick would be more interesting to play match play than medal play according to TD.

How about San Diego/Los Angeles rivalries, Dallas/Houston, Miami/Tampa, San Francisco/Oakland, etc.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back