News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Carey

Sod as a bunker liner?
« on: May 21, 2021, 06:26:02 AM »
I’ve seen a number of photos on social media of using sod as a bunker liner (I follow a lot of green keepers).  Can some one explain the benefit versus an artificial liner?  Brandon is using this process which surprised me since the underlying ground is sand.  Thank you.

Brian Ross

Re: Sod as a bunker liner?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 07:12:31 AM »
I’ve seen a number of photos on social media of using sod as a bunker liner (I follow a lot of green keepers).  Can some one explain the benefit versus an artificial liner?  Brandon is using this process which surprised me since the underlying ground is sand.  Thank you.

We have been using sod as a liner on a phased project in St. Petersburg, Florida since 2018 with great success and like you I've been seeing it more often on social media. The club in FL is on a man-made island and is essentially pure beach sand so the primary issue with their bunkers was shell migration into the bunker sand. The sod has been very effective at eliminating that issue. The benefits are its low cost compared to other fabric or aggregate liners and its ease of install. We lay the sod, let it establish and take root, then scalp it down low, spray it with roundup, and cover with sand.
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Tony Ristola

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 10:01:03 AM »
Used it last year in bunkers cut from gravel. First put down a 2 inch layer of sand that would compact to cap the gravel, compacted it, and the put down the sod. Will visit next week to see how they're performing.

We used it because we had the sod, and was cheaper than a geotextile liner. It's an ancient process. We put it grass up in one bunker, and grass down in the remainder. Not being able to use Roundup is the reason we went soil-up on all bunkers after the first.

Had some issues with grass growing through the sand in places with the first bunker, but was resolved without a great problem; soil up eliminates such problems totally.

SL_Solow

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 10:08:21 AM »
We have experimented in a couple of bunkers.  Worked well with respect to drainage and limiting sand contamination.  However, if you have bunkers with flashed faces it will do nothing to prevent wash outs and the attendant need to devote significant labor hours.  The cost savings on installation must be weighed against the long term continued labor costs and interruption in play.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 09:43:11 PM »

Paul:

Ken Nice is trying this at Pacific Dunes to stop the wind erosion in the bunkers at the sod, instead of letting it get even deeper.  (Many of the bunkers at Pacific Dunes yesterday are 3-4 feet deeper than when we built them, even though they’re being replenished periodically.)

They are just now letting the sod root in, and then will spray it with round up and install the sand in a week or two.

Incidentally, Ken asked me why many who do this lay the sod “green side down” so it doesn’t root in.  I wasn’t sure, but guessed it was just wanting to get the bunkers back into play ASAP.  Can anyone else confirm?

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 10:39:21 PM »
Tom,

I think if you flip the sod upside down you might not need the Roundup. The problem is the seams won't knit together as the plant will not grow without sunlight, so you may have some increased permeability in the seams. Hence, the right side-up for a week or two then the herbicide. This will make for a more uniform sod liner.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Tony Ristola

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 09:08:31 AM »

Paul:

Ken Nice is trying this at Pacific Dunes to stop the wind erosion in the bunkers at the sod, instead of letting it get even deeper.  (Many of the bunkers at Pacific Dunes yesterday are 3-4 feet deeper than when we built them, even though they’re being replenished periodically.)

They are just now letting the sod root in, and then will spray it with round up and install the sand in a week or two.

Incidentally, Ken asked me why many who do this lay the sod “green side down” so it doesn’t root in.  I wasn’t sure, but guessed it was just wanting to get the bunkers back into play ASAP.  Can anyone else confirm?

We would have put grass up on all of them, except the use of Round Up is verboten. I'd also guess that grass down is used to get into play faster.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 09:10:21 AM »
Tom,

I think if you flip the sod upside down you might not need the Roundup. The problem is the seams won't knit together as the plant will not grow without sunlight, so you may have some increased permeability in the seams. Hence, the right side-up for a week or two then the herbicide. This will make for a more uniform sod liner.

You're right about cracks; you have to be sure the sod doesn't dry out. We were hand-watering some of the sod on warmer days.

Daryl David

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 07:22:50 PM »
All the bunkers at Tumble Creek were rebuilt over the past 3 years. They dig them out, create some gravel drain channels and then lay down the sod. Let it establish, apply the roundup followed by the sand. It has really helped with stones leaching up to the surface which was a problem with the old bunkers. Bonus is while they are being rebuilt players love playing out of them.  ;D

PS. We had a rater group visit while some were in still in the sod phase. The staff got lots of questions about why they were converting from sand to grass bunkers and whether Tom Doak had signed off on the change.  ::)

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 08:45:01 PM »
We just did it at Penfield CC in Rochester NY. Ian Andrew did the design work and Ferry Construction did the installation.  I know they did it at Crag Burn in Buffalo also.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Mark_Fine

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 10:34:17 PM »
We are just finishing up a major project at Brookside CC in Pottstown PA and using sod in all the bunkers.  Many of the advantages have been mentioned.  I think it is a great alternative to much more expensive options especially if you don’t have high sand flashed faces.

Paul Carey

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 09:03:49 AM »
Thank you.  This is very helpful.

Anthony_Nysse

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back