News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Mahaffey

Why so few crowned greens on modern courses?
« on: May 18, 2021, 01:43:56 PM »
My definition of a crowned green is:
1) The highest point of the green is internal, not too close to the edge as to eliminate a hole location
2) the entire green surface is higher than the immediate surrounds
3) the green surface drains on all sides, some faster than others but water is never required to drain across the length/width of the green at any point.
4) Sometimes the best “miss” is just off the green, and the center of the green can be very challenging with some hole locations.

I find this simplistic approach to green design to be highly functional and can be outstanding architecturally.
I feel like the best greens at Wolf Point were crowned greens.
Yet I seldom see crowned greens used in modern architecture. Why?

David Wuthrich

Re: Why so few crowned greens on modern courses?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 01:46:33 PM »
Alot of uneducated golfers think that they are unfair.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 02:14:22 PM »
Don,

I think you know the reason, LOL. 

Basically, average golfers need all the help they can get and it became common, and almost standard, to have greens largely tilt back to front at least at 1.5% or more.  We always knew they needed that, and there are more and more statistics that prove what we always knew.

I have field measured greens where members/players complain the "greens won't hold."  Basically, it was any green that didn't slope back to front at least 1.33% in my tests. 

Beyond that, my mentors (and most others of the 1970's generation) also made at least the front half of the green slightly concave to further help shots hold the green.  If there is anything that teed off average golfers more than a nice shot rollling off the back, it's one that hits the green and bounds off the side.

If a green is crowned, average golfers can't hold the back half of the green, and they usually want to.  Not only that, but course managers really want them to, to speed play.

I have even seen this in my greens that have a back left (or right) lobe to create a Sunday Pin location.  If that is 50 feet deep, but the sideways drainage swale is centered in that 50 feet, rather than in the front third, golfers complain they can't hold that part of the green when they aim there, and I have remodeled a few to move the swale closer to the front of that area, and also beef up the backstop slope to 2.25-3% to help stop those shots and also tends to make the green more visible.

Some here may say (as David just did) that its coddling golfers with fairness, but in truth, golf is hard, and they need all the help they can get.  I would say it may be nice perhaps once per course (except those muni golf factories) but in reality, is a crowned green such a great design concept that it should be used?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jim Sherma

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 02:23:46 PM »
One of the two courses at Hershey CC is a George Fazio with the high point of the green complex internal on 14 of the 18 greens. Great course but so difficult for average to poor players. The course gets 1/3 of the members rounds and that includes the fact that it is open year round while the West closed from December through mid to late March. The toughest shots on the course are being out of position by 30-50 yards or so in the rough and trying to figure out how to get the ball to stop on the greens when they are firm. Only course I've played where short-siding yourself is almost always better since you can hit into the slope as opposed to coming across the high point. I like to joke that Tom Fazio is beloved because he took his uncle's greens and flipped them over.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 02:30:31 PM »
Basically then golf architecture has become about making concave shapes look pretty, and function.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 02:49:44 PM »
Is it smart business to make a product that the consumer won't buy?

Some here may say (as David just did) that its coddling golfers with fairness, but in truth, golf is hard, and they need all the help they can get.  I would say it may be nice perhaps once per course (except those muni golf factories) but in reality, is a crowned green such a great design concept that it should be used? Jeff Brauer

If a design concept is great,
wouldn't there be a tendency to copy it over time?  Putting for most of us is really hard.

BTW, I found something recently that is as frustrating as contouring on and off the greens which kicks the ball way off line:  irrigation heads on or near the fringes of the greens.  I am surprised that someone hasn't come up with a dampening material to mitigate the extraordinary bounces off the hard plastic heads.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 02:56:22 PM »
Lou,
Care to present some evidence that consumers will not want to play a course with a crowned green?
I don’t think anyone wants to play a course with 18 very difficult greens, but I’d like some evidence from you and others that show how a convex shaped green, done well, will be rejected by golfers.

Remember all greens have to surface drain. 

And that thread about wet approaches? Read Jeff’s post about how greens must be shaped back to front and then add 2 + 2. 

Crowned greens done well work just fine. The high point doesn’t have to be snack dab in the middle.  I’m not talking upside down cereal bowls here.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 03:13:37 PM »
It seems that golfers will pay $450 for the opportunity to struggle on crowned greens, but will balk at paying $80 for the same privilege. I suppose with the former it's like a 'well-earned right to take on the historic challenge of the game as it was meant to be played', while with the latter it's 'an ill-conceived design and unfair test for average golfers just looking to have fun for their hard-earned money'. Strange thing, isn't it: to think that if I paid $450 and didn't like the crowned greens I'd assume that it was *my* problem, but if I paid $80 and didn't like them I'd quickly think it *their* problem.
There must by a term that finance experts and economists and sociologists use to understand and explain this irony/paradox. I bet someone like Steve L would know. In old fashioned language, I think the concept of 'pride' might come in handy in this context.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 03:39:01 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 03:40:07 PM »
My definition of a crowned green is:
1) The highest point of the green is internal, not too close to the edge as to eliminate a hole location
2) the entire green surface is higher than the immediate surrounds
3) the green surface drains on all sides, some faster than others but water is never required to drain across the length/width of the green at any point.
4) Sometimes the best “miss” is just off the green, and the center of the green can be very challenging with some hole locations.

I find this simplistic approach to green design to be highly functional and can be outstanding architecturally.
I feel like the best greens at Wolf Point were crowned greens.
Yet I seldom see crowned greens used in modern architecture. Why?

I agree Don. Similar to front to back greens, a crown green adds spice to a round and should be welcomed. Variety is the main thing which makes golf interesting. The more codification, rule making and good practice that is preached is essentially saying no to variety. That's a very limiting place from which to build courses.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Hartlepool

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 03:51:29 PM »
When I read the OP the wonderful 13th green at Westward Ho immediately came to mind. Well I reckon it’s wonderful, some likely deeply dislike it. Each to their own.

Nice reference by Don to the wet approaches thread and comment by Peter about price and pride.

Atb

PS - Would a punchbowl be considered the exact opposite of a crowned green and do they still have a place in the game! Apologies for thread jack.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 03:55:38 PM »
I think Don is on the right track here as well.

Used to be a fun little 9 holer in Spokane that is since NLE.  It had 3 push up greens, two of them substantial where they sat anywhere from 5-8 feet above the level of the fairway.  Made for some tough recoveries if you missed it.

It also had a green on a par 3 that was effectively bowled with fairway length kick plates surrounding it on 3 sides, and then another green on a par 5 hole that was an actual bowl, complete with a drain...in the green.   ;D  And the approach was completely blind with a mini-alps mound, presumably leftover from creating the green.

But the kicker was a par 4 where the green sloped a fair bit from front to back.  Even with a well struck 9 iron I couldn't get it to hold and would always run to the back of the green.

The course was nothing to write home about otherwise, sat on an open and mostly flat field, but the greens with their variety were terrific.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 03:56:12 PM »
It's a nice treat to hit and hold the second green at Erin Hills, particularly if the approach is blind.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 03:56:32 PM »
"The codification, rule making and good practice that is preached is essentially saying 'no' to variety. That's a very limiting place from which to build courses." [bolding, mine.]
I think that's insightful and very well stated, Sean.

Brian Finn

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 04:00:38 PM »
It seems that golfers will pay $450 for the opportunity to struggle on crowned greens, but will balk at paying $80 for the same privilege. I suppose with the former it's like a 'well-earned right to take on the historic challenge of the game as it was meant to be played', while with the latter it's 'an ill-conceived design and unfair test for average golfers just looking to have fun for their hard-earned money'. Strange thing, isn't it: to think that if I paid $450 and didn't like the crowned greens I'd assume that it was *my* problem, but if I paid $80 and didn't like them I'd quickly think it *their* problem.
There must by a term that finance experts and economists and sociologists use to understand and explain this irony/paradox. I bet someone like Steve L would know. In old fashioned language, I think the concept of 'pride' might come in handy in this context.
Veblen goods
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Lou_Duran

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 04:18:48 PM »
Lou,
Care to present some evidence that consumers will not want to play a course with a crowned green?
I don’t think anyone wants to play a course with 18 very difficult greens, but I’d like some evidence from you and others that show how a convex shaped green, done well, will be rejected by golfers.

Your question should serve as some evidence.  If consumers want more of something, over a period of time, producers will provide it.  I like internal contouring like many here, but among the golfers I play with, I am an outlier.  I am not sure that crowned greens "done well" (which is in the eyes of the beholder) are rejected per se, but I suspect that only a relative few would be accepted in 18 holes, and those would be at softer grades.  Outside of this site, I have found few golfers who are hurrying back to play #2.  A key, I'd think, to featuring crowned greens would be slower speeds and softer surfaces.  Neither of these are particularly popular at the present time.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 04:47:52 PM »
I'm going to try and stick to answering the original question best as possible.

It's because developers pay the bills and many architect's feel they must appease the developers to get work.

Mostly, it boils down to the variety of different ways folks view their golf.  Some want to drive carts with stereos in them, slug beers and spend 5 hours out in nature, regardless of the golf experience.

Others view a round of golf as an adventure, man against the course/nature, and accept the challenge "as is." 

I don't buy Brauer's proposition that golf is already hard enough.  Tell that to George Crump.  What's interesting to me, however, is "what's hard" can mean many different things to many different people.  As someone else mentioned previously, missing a crowned green usually means an uphill recovery shot.  Might not be the worst strategy in the world to go that route.

I wouldn't advocate for a course with 18 push-up crowned greens, but I think they are a terrific way to add challenge and intrigue to short par 4s and 5s.   

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2021, 04:48:59 PM »

Your question should serve as some evidence.  If consumers want more of something, over a period of time, producers will provide it.  I like internal contouring like many here, but among the golfers I play with, I am an outlier.  I am not sure that crowned greens "done well" (which is in the eyes of the beholder) are rejected per se, but I suspect that only a relative few would be accepted in 18 holes, and those would be at softer grades.  Outside of this site, I have found few golfers who are hurrying back to play #2.  A key, I'd think, to featuring crowned greens would be slower speeds and softer surfaces.  Neither of these are particularly popular at the present time.

I built a couple of great crowned greens at High Pointe, but not many people liked them.  Of course they thought the fescue fairways there were nuts, too - but it turned out those were just ahead of their time.  So maybe the crowned greens were, also.

But I do think you’re correct that crowned greens don’t work so well when a course is maintaining them at 12 on the Stimpmeter.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2021, 05:00:59 PM »
Lou,
Did you really just write that the only reason #2 has a full tee sheet with that high of a green fee because GCAers are the only ones playing there? Or are you saying no one goes back and plays it a second time?  You just picked the most severe set of crowned greens on a golf course yet I do think that golf course is financially stable at this time.  You're confusing me with this economic argument when you use #2 as an example.

I get it that the crowd you play with like what they like. I never said I thought everyone should love crowned greens. I'm just surprised that almost no one will build one...although a couple at Memorial Park come pretty darn close to playing like a crowned green.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2021, 05:05:31 PM »
Lou,

Remember all greens have to surface drain. 

And that thread about wet approaches? Read Jeff’s post about how greens must be shaped back to front and then add 2 + 2. 

Crowned greens done well work just fine. The high point doesn’t have to be snack dab in the middle.  I’m not talking upside down cereal bowls here.

Don,

I work with several biz consultants and management companies over the years.  Bluntly, no one ever complains about a course being too easy (except in very rare cases of being far too easy).  One consultant says the most popular courses are those with an average slope rating of 116. Another says the barometer for a course you could play every day is a course you could normally shoot your average score most days, within a few strokes.  Tying that to the slope rating, I would say the effective average slope rating in the US is 120, and in urban areas with a lot of newer courses (like Houston and DFW) the average slope is probably between 120 and 130, so the average player there would probably prefer courses about that tough.

I have seen it across the dozens of courses I have designed.  The hardest ones slowly lose popularity, so again, I have to go on my experience.  (and no one has ever called me to add bunkers or contours, LOL)

Granted, there may be a difference between a destination resort course and a local course you could play everyday.  I get that it needs to be pretty and pretty interesting, it just doesn't need to be impossible to play with an every day shot.  There is no design interest in a green or fw you can't hit with a reasonable good shot.

And, remember, to the C player, a good shot is defined as one that gets airborne, within a few degrees of being on the right line, and at least most of the way to the green.  We sometimes forget just how bad the average golfer who populates our courses is, and designing for the top 1%, without any particular reason certainly isn't form follows function.  Tying this to another thread where Tom Doak called me pedantic, I still have to ask if so called "great design" needs to be attained by ignoring long established principles. 

I mean, a reverse slope green is an interesting challenge most of us here would relish, but like Lou says, enthusiasm runs far less everywhere that is NOT golfclubatlas.com.  And, I have designed them, making sure there is a way to land the ball short to account for the run.  But half a green sloping away?  Where you have to land a shot in half of a 30 yard deep area to have a chance to hold?  At any distance over 100 yards, most golfers don't statistically have that shot.  Maybe, maybe, maybe if you somehow keep the back of the green a reasonable recovery shot, but in reality, an unittable target with an easy recovery isn't all that strong a design concept.  An easily hittable green with a harder recovery is more typical.

As to the back to front, yes, a green draining 100% to the front can make the approach wet.  As you probably also know and do, most of us drain our greens in two directions, maybe 3, taking the back half out to the low side somewhere, even as the overall green still tilts up.  Where I can, I look to drain 60% of the green anywhere but off the front.  If the cart path is on the low side, I might direct more drainage to the front to keep the walk up areas between the path and green drier (in clay soils).  So yes, draining the green is a consideration.

That said, I wonder why so many amateur architects here think its a great idea to design a target that physics almost certainly say won't accept a normal shot?

Michael Dugger,

Again, there is room in golf for Pine Valley type courses.  If a modern day Crump wanted to build one, no one should stop them.  It's just that most things are on a bell curve, and maybe 10% should be both very hard and very easy, and the mid 80% should be a reasonable challenge.

As per my answer above, yes, you need to please the client, who is most likely trying to appeal to the broadest segment of golfers available, and "good practice" suggests attainable targets for the masses.  Obviously, there needs to be some young architects out there who think outside the box and gingerly introduce some long lost design elements into new designs.  Just remember, most new ideas actually fail, probably at about the same rates as new businesses.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 05:10:47 PM by Jeff_Brauer »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 05:32:36 PM »
Crowned greens seem like the gca equivalent of silent movies: every great director of the talking-pictures era has paid homage to the purity of the story-telling and praised the emotional power of the visuals -- but none has been crazy (and self-assured) enough to actually make one himself, except Mel Brooks!

We need a Mel Brooks in golf course architecture!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2021, 05:34:08 PM »
Related question - How many crowned greens were actually on professionally designed golden age courses?  Yes, there were a lot of Farmer John courses where they built crowned greens, not knowing better.  And, don't say P2, because Richard Mandell's book shows definitively that Ross didn't build them at Pinehurst, but they were the result of topdressing practices.

It would be a real hoot for some young architects to come in and "reintroduce" "classic Ross features" (or similar) when in fact they rarely existed.  Sort of like the short lived double green concept, because all the old courses in Scotland had them, when it turned out only THE Old Course in Scotland had them, or at least 90% of all of them in Scotland.

Yeah, they existed.  Until golfers got tired of them. 

Another related question - Should the tastes of some a portion of 1400 gca nerds dictate what goes on in the real world?

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 05:50:16 PM »

Another related question - Should the tastes of some a portion of 1400 gca nerds dictate what goes on in the real world?

Like it or not, they have and they do.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Eric Smith

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 05:57:48 PM »

We need a Mel Brooks in golf course architecture!

His courses usually begin with a laurel and hearty handshake at the first.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 06:16:55 PM »
Lou,
Did you really just write that the only reason #2 has a full tee sheet with that high of a green fee because GCAers are the only ones playing there? Or are you saying no one goes back and plays it a second time?  You just picked the most severe set of crowned greens on a golf course yet I do think that golf course is financially stable at this time.  You're confusing me with this economic argument when you use #2 as an example.

I get it that the crowd you play with like what they like. I never said I thought everyone should love crowned greens. I'm just surprised that almost no one will build one...although a couple at Memorial Park come pretty darn close to playing like a crowned green.
[/quote

No, I did not.  Pinehurst is an iconic resort which draws golfers from all over the world.  Its #2 course has held many important events and golfers enjoy playing courses where the greats once walked.  But unless Pinehurst had coupon days at 90% off the rack rate, I doubt that it would draw enough GCAers to fill the tee sheet for one day.  Also, I am not saying that no one goes back to #2 a second time, but I suspect that both Pebble Beach and Bandon Dunes draw considerably more repeat business.

Build them (crowned greens) and they will come?  What's stopping the principals and the architects?  Is there a consumer thirst for novelty in golf?  Maybe Mr. Keiser's retail golfer just wants exceptional, attractive courses within a relatively narrow range of styles and expectations.  I don't think that Barton Creek- Foothills gets many accolades for its cave fronting one of the greens (a feature which might appear at the new Hanse course in Frisco- a shaper gone wild?).

As an aside, the effects of the February cold spell are becoming more obvious each day as the areas  surrounding the winter-kill  are greening up nicely.  One of the senior maintenance workers this morning pointed out the slopes of the high spots on a green he was plugging that weren't protected sufficiently from the north wind and suffered winter kill.  One of the worst he said was our Biarritz green which will require extensive work.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 06:17:50 PM »

Jeff, GCA is the real world. There are designers, builders, Superintendents, club members, committee members, raters, and many more people passionate about golf.  Would you rather discuss architecture with the same 5 consultants that headline every Golf Inc conference and usually have a new consulting firm every few years as they continue to reinvent expertise?

How many of those consultants thought Bandon would become what it has? What about Sweetens? And I've seen the feasibility studies those guys do. Business makes the world go round and some of the stuff they've sold borders on...Let's be honest, they have as many misses as hits if not more.

It's always interesting to me when a simple questions becomes this argument. Oh, it'll be too hard. Only the dead guys could get away with it. If GCA likes it it'll never work. 

I think its ok for the ball to move when it hits the ground. Its ok for a ball to bounce off the side of the green if its a poor shot and as long as you can get a club on it with a decent lie, then what's the problem? Fair? FAIR? Why is it fair if I hit a good shot, and my opponent skanks one, but your architecture has all these nice little catchers mitts to control his ball? Why is that fair to me? As his opponent, I'm not asking for stupid hard or hazards just don't play the game for him. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back